Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-11, 06:58 PM   #1
itsmrbill
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Scott Sub-10, Micargi Tandem
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VIDEO: Ticketed for not riding in the bike lane

For your information and amusement.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/bzE-IMaegzQ[/video]

Description from author:
little movie about a ticket i got for riding my bike not in the bike lane
- Uploaded by caseyneistat on Jun 7, 2011

Link: http://youtu.be/bzE-IMaegzQ

Last edited by itsmrbill; 06-08-11 at 07:01 PM. Reason: fix video
itsmrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:07 PM   #2
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'
 
Fizzaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boy-z, Ideeeho
Bikes: The always reliable kuwie
Posts: 1,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That was an entertaining video
Fizzaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:10 PM   #3
GeoBigJon 
Cactus Hobbit
 
GeoBigJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sonora, Texas
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How messed up is that, and the best part the video shows why it is so jacked up to get a ticket. Very entertaining.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:10 PM   #4
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I'm confused...are you contending that you were riding in a lane, went out of the lane because there was an obstruction, and got ticketed for it...

or are you saying you were riding out of the lane in general because sometimes there are obstructions and ticketed for it, and are upset because it isn't illegal?

Legal or not...if you're able to ride in the lane, ride in the lane. Nothing in life is perfect...having a lane with some obstructions is better than having no lane at all. I'm wagering you weren't riding in the lane at all. I'm also extremely impressed with the cop for taking your rudeness and disrespect so well. If you have a problem with the ticket...you can fight it in court. Cops make mistakes, they aren't judges and they aren't usually legal experts. Court is the place to fight that.

PS...I'm assuming you are refunding the police and tax payers for any damage to the car you made while making your point? Personally, I'd have arrested you for disorderly conduct and reckless behavior for potentially interrupting traffic, property damage, possible injuries to others and anything else I can think of.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:13 PM   #5
cycle.stig
Senior Member
 
cycle.stig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like how the cyclist cut off most of the video which is his best evidence and then just typed in what he wants us to know about the conversation. Sounded like the cop began talking about a red light, did the cyclist decide to go on a red? Looks like a whiner that probably deserved a ticket for cycling unsafely and cries when he's called on it.
cycle.stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:18 PM   #6
twobadfish
Riding
 
twobadfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that was awesome.

Pretty insane that he got a ticket for that. The best part was the cop car in the bike lane at the end. Irony?
twobadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:24 PM   #7
borobike
Dept. store bike bandit
 
Join Date: May 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right or wrong, I laughed when he started crashing into stuff.
.
.
.
borobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 07:34 PM   #8
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by borobike View Post
Right or wrong, I laughed when he started crashing into stuff.
.
.
.
I did too...the part that doesn't take things seriously. It was pretty damned funny...inane or not.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:19 PM   #9
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it was entertaining as well. As far as comments like the one further above that said that he should pay for any damages caused to the police car and that he should be arrested for disorderly conduct, I say grow up! If he get's arrested, then the cop should be arrested for parking there (on the bike lane). If any of us parked there we would have been ticketed! The police are NOT above the law! (they think they are but they are NOT)

I think the cop wanted to get a jump start on meeting his monthly quota and wrote the guy a ticket! End of story! He wanted to show the cyclist who's boss! He probably got pissed-off with the guy filming this all along too, so that didn't help
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:27 PM   #10
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Yes...you're right. Deliberately crashing a bicycle into a car is just free expression and perfectly legal

The bogus ticket completely justifies that behavior (as opposed to fighting it in court, calling the officer's supervisor, etc.).

It was funny, I'll give it that.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:40 PM   #11
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deliberately crashing his bike into the car is correct. He is demonstrating just that! His argument is that he had NO other choice since he was ticketed earlier when he went out of the bike lane! So in that sense, he had to crash against the car. Of course he could have stopped, but we all know he is trying to make a point. Just imagine stopping your car for no reason on an expressway and someone rear-ends you... Why in the world would it be their fault when you should not have stopped there?

In any case, I think the cop would better use his time by writing tickets to cab drivers that do whatever they feel like, than to a guy on a bike!
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:52 PM   #12
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
Deliberately crashing his bike into the car is correct. He is demonstrating just that! His argument is that he had NO other choice since he was ticketed earlier when he went out of the bike lane! So in that sense, he had to crash against the car. Of course he could have stopped, but we all know he is trying to make a point. Just imagine stopping your car for no reason on an expressway and someone rear-ends you... Why in the world would it be their fault when you should not have stopped there?

In any case, I think the cop would better use his time by writing tickets to cab drivers that do whatever they feel like, than to a guy on a bike!
I definitely see your point...the cyclist had no other options in our society. He didn't have the right to challenge the ticket in court. He didn't have the ability to contact representatives, the officer's supervisor's, media, etc. His ONLY option was to crash his bicycle into a police car paid for by the public.

KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:58 PM   #13
jputnam
Senior Member
 
jputnam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pacific, WA
Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
Just imagine stopping your car for no reason on an expressway and someone rear-ends you... Why in the world would it be their fault when you should not have stopped there?
It would be their fault because they failed to leave adequate clearance or pay sufficient attention to stop without hitting a car stopped in front of them. Whether you have a reason or not has no bearing on whether they should hit you -- does it really matter whether you had a flat tire, a broken drive line, or just a sudden desire to stop? Not running into the car in front of you is a pretty basic road rule, as is the automatic presumption of fault for a motorist who strikes another vehicle from the rear.
jputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 09:12 PM   #14
Titmawz
Senior Member
 
Titmawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lol
Titmawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 09:21 PM   #15
Titmawz
Senior Member
 
Titmawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same here no matter the condition/situation you HAVE to be in the bike lane =/
Titmawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 10:00 PM   #16
jeffpoulin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was impressed he could crash so often without hurting himself.
jeffpoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:42 PM   #17
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
I definitely see your point...the cyclist had no other options in our society. He didn't have the right to challenge the ticket in court. He didn't have the ability to contact representatives, the officer's supervisor's, media, etc.
Yeah, all that has been working extremely well in NYC lately, right?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:58 PM   #18
waynesworld
Papaya King
 
waynesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Grandview area)
Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a bunch of crap to write that ticket. Pretty impressive/athletic display of crashing.
waynesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 12:51 AM   #19
peskypesky
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Manhattan, NYC
Bikes: Specialized Crossroads
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a new NYC bike-rider, i was obviously interested in this video. its definitely funny and makes the point that bike lanes are often obstructed, leaving riders no choice but to go outside the bike lane.

but, as others have said, its not clear from the snippet with the cop what happened and why he got the ticket. clearly, he was riding outside the bike lane, but was he doing that because there was an obstruction?

i have to say that i LOVE the bike lanes, when they're available. it makes such a huge difference in the riding experience. i want more!
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 05:52 AM   #20
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Yeah, all that has been working extremely well in NYC lately, right?
No...I'm sure crashing a car into a police cruiser is a far more intelligent alternative

Life's not perfect. There are things that will never be fair and just...let me know when you find utopia.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 06-09-11 at 05:56 AM.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:13 AM   #21
vtjim
Belt drive!
 
vtjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He probably did more than $50 damage to the cruiser, so let's call it a wash.

Funny video, but how does he do that and not get hurt.
vtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:27 AM   #22
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute
 
Scooby214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes:
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have experience with a newly created bike lane causing a major safety issue along my daily commute. The city poured a pretty new sidewalk along a quiet secondary road, then put up green bike route signs along the sidewalk. I only use this road for about half a mile, so I carefully tried out the sidewalk bike route. I found two places where blind spots made it dangerous for me. The first one was caused by a large evergreen tree next to a residential driveway. The tree is close to the street, so the sidewalk does a small radius arch around the tree that ends at the driveway. Cars leaving the residence can't see me coming because of the tree. The other blind spot is more dangerous, as it is caused by a large brick sign in the middle of an entrance/exit of a gated community. The sidewalk is close enough to the brick sign to touch while cycling, and the brick sign is large enough to hide a minivan. I can't see when people are coming out of the gate until they are past the sign and on the sidewalk. Motorists have to drive past the sign, covering the sidewalk, in order to see before turning. A motorist could easily hit me on my bicycle before having a chance to see me!

Fortunately, in my case, the bike route signs were taken down after a month. I hope it was because of complaints from cyclists and not because of a cyclist being hit. I decided right away that the "bike route sidewalk" was not for me. I would rather pay a ticket than pay medical bills after being hit!
Scooby214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:16 AM   #23
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby214 View Post
I would rather pay a ticket than pay medical bills after being hit!
you don't list your location, but most states don't force you to ride a bike lane. NY and Florida being the exceptions I know of, and it seems to me that NY is fairly reasonable about it.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 11:19 AM   #24
zoltani
sniffin' glue
 
zoltani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
Posts: 3,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
people, it's the neistat bros

same guys that made the video of them stealing their own bikes
zoltani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 12:01 PM   #25
AdamDZ 
Bike addict, dreamer
 
AdamDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, New York
Bikes:
Posts: 5,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ha ha ha! That video is f***ing awesome! And yeah, the cop was wrong, and as most NYC cops, he was an a**hole too. If there is obstruction in the bike lane the cyclists is allowed to ride with traffic. He should have gone to court with bunch of pictures of the bike lanes. I often ride with the traffic because the bike lanes are obstructed almost on every block and weaving in and out is dangerous.

Generally, those green bike lanes that run along the sidewalks are a disaster waiting to happen. I hear of lots of collisions with pedestrians walking into the bike lanes and I had many close ones myself. These bike lanes are not safe if you go more than 3 mph.

Check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/bzE-IMaegzQ

Adam
AdamDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.