I'm a 23 year old just came out of college. Heading to a consulting job in Houston. As strange as it sounds... I want to avoid getting a car for as long as possible (save money, and I like biking).
My daily commute is around ~10 miles each way.
I've started looking at bikes sold in the area... and here's what I've narrowed it down to.
1. Marin Fairfax 2011 ($699)- REI http://bit.ly/m2OfXR
2. GT Tachyon 3.0 ($659) - REI http://bit.ly/lm3Ufm
3. Fuji Absolute 2.0 ($749) - Performance Bikes http://bit.ly/mtQ9HM
4. Scattante F-330 Fitness Bike ($749) - Performance BIkes http://bit.ly/lQToV9
5. Scattante X-330 Cyclocross ($749) - Performance Bikes http://bit.ly/lpZC7c
6. Trek 1.1 ($659) - Bike Barn http://bit.ly/mze44S
What do you guys think? My priorities are:
1. Efficient i.e. FAST (Get me places quickly! I used to ride a mountainbike in college... and it got pretty frustrating seeing roadies zip by me. I'd also like to somehow keep up with traffic to a degree.)
2. Reliable (I don't know how to fix anything... and I don't think I'll have the time to learn...I hear consulting is pretty time consuming?)
3. Can withstand some bumps (Houston roads are pretty messed up at times.... )
4. No learning curve (I've heard picking up a road bike takes getting used to?)
5. Might allow me to enter a race or something one day.
6. Sticking under $800
I'm leaning on the Fairfax and 1.1. Any thoughts on any of the bikes would be really appreciated though.
Thanks in advance!