Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Racks for 1988 GT Tequesta "Hybrid"?

    I have starting riding again after many years of not riding regularly - like 30 years of not riding regularly.

    I have an old 1988 GT Tequesta that I bought in 1988 and didn't ride as much as I thought that I would. I am starting to use it to run some errands, and it would be nice to have a rack on the back that could actually hold a couple of bags (for groceries or odds and ends and such - I'm not planning on a coast to coast trip).

    The issue with the Tequesta is that it has a funny frame geometry - the set stays (if that is what they are called) are attached to the top bar in front of the seat post. It was supposed to make the bike stronger (I think) maybe more flexible?

    At any rate, that means that the geometry of the back of the bike is a bit unusual - the seat stats are at a lower angle than the would be on most bikes. If i try to attach most racks to it, they really don't fit very well.

    Here is photo of a very similar bike. Note the bracket that attaches the rear rack to the bike is very long (and bent). I suppose that it's strong enough, but it looks pretty crappy.

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/10...equesta_SS.JPG

    Does anyone know if there are (or were) racks built for these particular frames?

    The bike may or may not be an ideal commuter, but the prices was right - it was hanging around the back of my garage, so it was free.

    The components are "Shimano Exage Mountain", and I have no idea what that means in terms of quality, but they seems to work OK.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nearly identical GT that I use to commute a lot.

    I put a topeak rack on it and it fit fine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a nearly identical GT (late 80's Timberline or Backwoods). Right now the rear rack is a Jannd Expedition which not only fits well, has almost no heel strike issues and the hardware with it enabled me to set it up nice and level which is aesthetically pleasing. I think adjustable mounting hardware is the big criteria you are probably looking for.

    I'll upload a better picture tomorrow during the day, I need to take a photo of my lock carrier for another thread anyway, a little hard to see under this load, but here it is:

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Medic Zero; 07-06-11 at 06:38 PM.
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a better pic of the Jannd Expedition on my GT:


    I'm actually going through my storage tonight or tomorrow, if I come across my old rack I'll see if I can determine what manufacturer and model it was. I did have heel strike issues with that one though.
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Here's a better pic of the Jannd Expedition on my GT:


    I'm actually going through my storage tonight or tomorrow, if I come across my old rack I'll see if I can determine what manufacturer and model it was. I did have heel strike issues with that one though.
    The picture makes things clear. I was sort of looking for something where I wouldn't have to bend the brackets.

    I have looked around, and it looks like the Tubus racks have rotating rods to attach the front of the rack to the seat stays - it looks like I might be able to fabricate something like that (or buy some Tubus spare parts):

    http://www.rei.com/product/768568/tu...700c-bike-rack

    Did you modify the rear brake on your bike?

    My bike has an odd U-shaped brake attached to the chain stays - right behind the crank.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  6. #6
    Used & Abused
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    My Bikes
    GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you want adjustablity (ie bendable brackets), so that leads me to believe Jannd or Topeak are the way to go. I have Topeak Super Tourist on the way for my GT Nomad. I'll update if you're still looking by the time I get it installed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
    I think you want adjustablity (ie bendable brackets), so that leads me to believe Jannd or Topeak are the way to go. I have Topeak Super Tourist on the way for my GT Nomad. I'll update if you're still looking by the time I get it installed.
    The issue that I faced with bendable brackets (I tried this once a long time ago) is the the brackets needed to bend along two axes at once - the seat stays were not only lower than other bikes, they were also wider.

    If you look at "Medic Zero"'s picture, you'll see that the brackets both bent and a little "splayed out".

    The Tubus racks look they adjust in two axes without bending, and it looks as though the attachments pieces are listed a catalog as spare parts. I may be able to use those to fit an old Blackburn (?) rack.

    Does anyone know how I would go about ordering those parts? Are they likely to be available on line?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  8. #8
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post
    The picture makes things clear. I was sort of looking for something where I wouldn't have to bend the brackets.

    I have looked around, and it looks like the Tubus racks have rotating rods to attach the front of the rack to the seat stays - it looks like I might be able to fabricate something like that (or buy some Tubus spare parts):

    http://www.rei.com/product/768568/tu...700c-bike-rack

    Did you modify the rear brake on your bike?

    My bike has an odd U-shaped brake attached to the chain stays - right behind the crank.

    Thanks,

    Mike
    I was sort of looking for something where I wouldn't have to bend the brackets.
    The Jandd rack came with brackets that were already the right shape and are adjustable as to length and also IIRC the "splay" on them is adjustable too. I had zero problems mounting it. I don't recall having to bend anything.

    Did you modify the rear brake on your bike?
    Yes! Before I knew that those brakes are pretty powerful I went to a friend of mine who does a lot of motorcycle work out of his garage and sliced off the mounts down there and he welded on new posts on the rear triangle. It's nice having the clearance down there too, I don't do a whole lot of trail riding, but every now and then I do, and if you have to scrape over a log or something not having the brake right there is good. Some people will tell you that if that brake is dialed in it is quite strong though. Mine wasn't working well when I got the bike so I didn't get a chance to try it out properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post
    Does anyone know how I would go about ordering those parts? Are they likely to be available on line?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    A quick google image search for "Jannd rack hardware" turned up this:
    http://www.bikebagshop.com/jandd-ext..._7c11681678102
    I don't recall exactly how these mounted (there is directions online somewhere though), but be aware that they mount so that you get the splay you need if used on another rack. If you have a drill and the other rack has a deck (not tubular) you could tap it.
    Last edited by Medic Zero; 07-06-11 at 06:47 PM.
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    The Jandd rack came with brackets that were already the right shape and are adjustable as to length and also IIRC the "splay" on them is adjustable too. I had zero problems mounting it. I don't recall having to bend anything.

    Yes! Before I knew that those brakes are pretty powerful I went to a friend of mine who does a lot of motorcycle work out of his garage and sliced off the mounts down there and he welded on new posts on the rear triangle. It's nice having the clearance down there too, I don't do a whole lot of trail riding, but every now and then I do, and if you have to scrape over a log or something not having the brake right there is good. Some people will tell you that if that brake is dialed in it is quite strong though. Mine wasn't working well when I got the bike so I didn't get a chance to try it out properly.



    A quick google image search for "Jannd rack hardware" turned up this:
    http://www.bikebagshop.com/jandd-ext..._7c11681678102
    I don't recall exactly how these mounted (there is directions online somewhere though), but be aware that they mount so that you get the splay you need if used on another rack. If you have a drill and the other rack has a deck (not tubular) you could tap it.
    Thanks,

    Mike

  10. #10
    Used & Abused
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    My Bikes
    GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post
    The issue that I faced with bendable brackets (I tried this once a long time ago) is the the brackets needed to bend along two axes at once - the seat stays were not only lower than other bikes, they were also wider.

    If you look at "Medic Zero"'s picture, you'll see that the brackets both bent and a little "splayed out".

    The Tubus racks look they adjust in two axes without bending, and it looks as though the attachments pieces are listed a catalog as spare parts. I may be able to use those to fit an old Blackburn (?) rack.

    Does anyone know how I would go about ordering those parts? Are they likely to be available on line?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Bikebagshop.com has a bunch of tubus hardware.

    Check out this thread for some mounting solutions:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=topeak+rack
    Last edited by Jimi77; 07-06-11 at 09:46 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care for the way the bent stays look either, but they're pretty stable in practice. On the flat stainless stays, you can usually adjust the width a bit by flipping them both over 180 degrees.

    This rack looks like it has all the adjustability you need, but I don't care for the complexity of the mounting stays - simple is usually better.

  12. #12
    Used & Abused
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    My Bikes
    GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my Topeak arrived, but there is no way I can use my braze-ons with the rack (or any other rack I'm sure). The V-brakes are in the way - I blame GT, not the rack makers. Also where the brackets mount to the rack, there are slots so you can angle the brackets in or out without needing to bend them.

    That said there are a ton of solutions. P-clamps, Seat clamps with rack mounts, mono-stay adapters, etc. I say get whatever rack you want, then figure out your mounting solution after you've seen the rack on the bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •