Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
  1. #1
    Lurking Under a Rock
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Punk Teenagers throwing crap at me

    Last Tuesday, a little after 5pm, as I am riding home, some punk teenagers threw a huge mud ball at me, which caused me swerve and left bruises on my arm. They were obviously aiming for my head, as it hit in my upper tricep area. As they drove off, I took note of the license plate number as they shot me the bird and yelled some obscenities at me. I called 911. while 911 might be a little overboard, I was steamed and didn't have access to the "normal" police phone number. I was also on a very tight schedule, stuck around for a few minutes and absolutely had to leave (had a job interview on Friday, don't own a suit and had to buy one and get it tailored in essentially 2 days).

    I was a little peeved about the whole situation, but I had a good interview and enjoyable time in the rocky mountain region this last weekend, forgetting about the entire thing.

    so, I am on my way home today, tuesday, on the same road, around the same time, something hits me in the back of the head and startles me. it's the same car, with the same punk kids. turns out they just threw an egg at me, which is less dangerous than the heavy mud ball thing they threw the last time.

    I've taken pictures of everything, bruises (today, a week later), eggs, stain on my shirt from mudball, etc. And I've filed a police report. What else to do? I'm sure the police will do absolutely nothing, but if this is a habit it can get old real quick, not to mention them throwing different (and heavier objects). Things I've thought about:

    *buying a goPro or something of the sorts to mount under my seat and tape my ride home. expensive, but i've wanted one for a while.
    *buy a mirror (undoubtedly will do this)
    *go home early next tuesday, sit in car and wait for them to drive by and follow them home. (time consuming, and will most likely happen if something hits me again from the same vehicle). not sure what the end game is here besides talking to their parents, who may or may not care.

    thoughts?

    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Height...,15.78,,0,3.62

  2. #2
    Senior Member degnaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    1,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rolling with a helmet camera is a great idea IMO, especially if stuff like this is happening. If you don't feel like shelling out for a GoPro, there's plenty of cheaper alternatives (the $10 808, the $40 HD 808, the $60 ACT20).

    Otherwise, there's not really much I think you can do if you've already reported it to the police.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale
    My Bikes
    R20 aka project frankentwenty
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh you can wait it out especially since you don't work. leave a note under their windshield wiper that says... I know where you live

  4. #4
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,329
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep a handful of lug nuts in your pocket and start throwing things back.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  5. #5
    Acts 2:38 rex_kramer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recommendation is not to escalate things (they obviously know your route), but you should make every effort to keep records of every incident in detail. Keep on the police. File a report. I HIGHLY suggest getting a helmet cam. As much as I hope it doesn't happen again, nothing would be better than to have it happen on tape. The icing on the cake would be a small claims law suit, which you would likely win.

    I ordered this one and the 2011 models are supposed to be shipping out in a little more than a week. It's waterproof (rated for diving), shoots in 720p and comes with a bunch of extras. You can't get anything close to that for $139.
    Philippians 2:9-11

  6. #6
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep the pressure on the cops. This is a felony in most states

    I can't believe that the cops in Houston are so used to lawlessness that they haven't tracked down this car yet. I would call the newspapers

  7. #7
    Ridin' South Cackalacky dahut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    keep the pressure on the cops. This is a felony in most states

    I can't believe that the cops in Houston are so used to lawlessness that they haven't tracked down this car yet. I would call the newspapers
    Newspapers, why not?
    Call the cops, again, but ask for the Chief of Police. Dont dick around with the devil-may-care streeties. They got gang bangers on their minds
    If the Chief offers nothing, call the mayors office.
    Go for the throat.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Malemute_Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, Giant XTC 29er 2, Redline Monocog 29er, Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rex above best not to escalate things. i had a problem today, too, a car full of teenagers pulled up close beside me and the punk in the passenger seat reached out and slapped my handlebar mounted mirror. Scared the *&%#$ out of me. by the time i realized what happened and got angry they had pulled away......

    Oh, and by the way hello to my fellow Happy Valley bikers above, i'm in Bellefonte.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    2010 GT Tachyon 3.0
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ********. Plain and simple.

    Also, re suit: I don't do interviews in suits. I do business casual, and I'm typically complemented on being well dressed. Lands' End is my go-to; I like their lines. If the hiring manager gets all pissy about it, then I don't want to work there. If they're a formalwear shop, they'll mention the dress code. Really don't want to deal with people so stuck up that they base an entire interview on whether or not I threw on a cheap suit (really, dressing myself in a decent set for bizcas is actually more challenging and requires more thought than just grabbing a business suit).

    More reports, news papers, give the news the police number, pass the description, the license plate number, everything, to the cops first, then the news. All good suggestions. As you've brought attention to yourself, don't throw rocks back.
    Own: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0
    Own: 2013 Trek Domane 2.0 + Revolution REV22 wheels

  10. #10
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
    Last Tuesday, a little after 5pm, as I am riding home, some punk teenagers threw a huge mud ball at me, which caused me swerve and left bruises on my arm. They were obviously aiming for my head, as it hit in my upper tricep area. As they drove off, I took note of the license plate number as they shot me the bird and yelled some obscenities at me. I called 911. while 911 might be a little overboard, I was steamed and didn't have access to the "normal" police phone number. I was also on a very tight schedule, stuck around for a few minutes and absolutely had to leave (had a job interview on Friday, don't own a suit and had to buy one and get it tailored in essentially 2 days).

    I was a little peeved about the whole situation, but I had a good interview and enjoyable time in the rocky mountain region this last weekend, forgetting about the entire thing.

    so, I am on my way home today, tuesday, on the same road, around the same time, something hits me in the back of the head and startles me. it's the same car, with the same punk kids. turns out they just threw an egg at me, which is less dangerous than the heavy mud ball thing they threw the last time.

    I've taken pictures of everything, bruises (today, a week later), eggs, stain on my shirt from mudball, etc. And I've filed a police report. What else to do? I'm sure the police will do absolutely nothing, but if this is a habit it can get old real quick, not to mention them throwing different (and heavier objects). Things I've thought about:

    *buying a goPro or something of the sorts to mount under my seat and tape my ride home. expensive, but i've wanted one for a while.
    *buy a mirror (undoubtedly will do this)
    *go home early next tuesday, sit in car and wait for them to drive by and follow them home. (time consuming, and will most likely happen if something hits me again from the same vehicle). not sure what the end game is here besides talking to their parents, who may or may not care.

    thoughts?

    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Height...,15.78,,0,3.62
    Quote Originally Posted by rex_kramer View Post
    My recommendation is not to escalate things (they obviously know your route), but you should make every effort to keep records of every incident in detail. Keep on the police. File a report. I HIGHLY suggest getting a helmet cam. As much as I hope it doesn't happen again, nothing would be better than to have it happen on tape. The icing on the cake would be a small claims law suit, which you would likely win.

    I ordered this one and the 2011 models are supposed to be shipping out in a little more than a week. It's waterproof (rated for diving), shoots in 720p and comes with a bunch of extras. You can't get anything close to that for $139.
    What the hell is recorded the next incident going to do for you? Are you planning to start a video scrapbook to pass down through the generations of your family?

    You know the car, you know the license-plate number. Law enforcement and bicycling don't care for each other handle this yourself, or don't expect it to be handled. You could always just restructure your life, if you'd like: pick a new route, pick a new job; maybe move, huh?

    My advice is to say the hell with this "don't-escalate-things" tripe. File another police report, and, if you see nothing coming of the action, find the house the car belongs to, and egg it so far to **** the front door doesn't open for a month.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ira B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coupeville, WA
    My Bikes
    84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the laws have not changed then Texas is one state where if you get a plate number it is not too difficult to get someones address as a matter of public record with a little creative digging.
    Once you get an address, most good parents would like to know if their kid was engaging in this behavior. More so if there may be an expensive legal claim they could get stuck with.
    Ought to get their car privileges yanked for awhile.
    Wouldn't it be irony at it's best if they ended up having to bike to get around.
    Yep, THAT Ira

  12. #12
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira B View Post
    If the laws have not changed then Texas is one state where if you get a plate number it is not too difficult to get someones address as a matter of public record with a little creative digging.
    Once you get an address, most good parents would like to know if their kid was engaging in this behavior. More so if there may be an expensive legal claim they could get stuck with.
    Ought to get their car privileges yanked for awhile.
    Wouldn't it be irony at it's best if they ended up having to bike to get around.
    O.K., this also is not a bad plan. Then, rather than the whole house, you could egg just the guilty parties, when they're biking.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
    Last Tuesday, a little after 5pm, as I am riding home, some punk teenagers threw a huge mud ball at me, which caused me swerve and left bruises on my arm. They were obviously aiming for my head, as it hit in my upper tricep area. As they drove off, I took note of the license plate number as they shot me the bird and yelled some obscenities at me. I called 911. while 911 might be a little overboard, I was steamed and didn't have access to the "normal" police phone number. I was also on a very tight schedule, stuck around for a few minutes and absolutely had to leave (had a job interview on Friday, don't own a suit and had to buy one and get it tailored in essentially 2 days).

    I was a little peeved about the whole situation, but I had a good interview and enjoyable time in the rocky mountain region this last weekend, forgetting about the entire thing.

    so, I am on my way home today, tuesday, on the same road, around the same time, something hits me in the back of the head and startles me. it's the same car, with the same punk kids. turns out they just threw an egg at me, which is less dangerous than the heavy mud ball thing they threw the last time.

    I've taken pictures of everything, bruises (today, a week later), eggs, stain on my shirt from mudball, etc. And I've filed a police report. What else to do? I'm sure the police will do absolutely nothing, but if this is a habit it can get old real quick, not to mention them throwing different (and heavier objects). Things I've thought about:

    *buying a goPro or something of the sorts to mount under my seat and tape my ride home. expensive, but i've wanted one for a while.
    *buy a mirror (undoubtedly will do this)
    *go home early next tuesday, sit in car and wait for them to drive by and follow them home. (time consuming, and will most likely happen if something hits me again from the same vehicle). not sure what the end game is here besides talking to their parents, who may or may not care.

    thoughts?

    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Height...,15.78,,0,3.62
    Keep up with reporting it the police. It does work, but it may take time. We saw it work in LA with that "good doctor." Cyclists kept filing reports against him, and now he has a new home address. And yes, a camera is a good idea.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Keep a handful of lug nuts in your pocket and start throwing things back.
    That's the wrong idea. Lowering yourself to their level isn't the answer. Take the high road, and keep reporting it to the police.

    If you lower yourself to their level they can always claim that you not them were the instigator.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  15. #15
    Acts 2:38 rex_kramer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando303 View Post
    What the hell is recorded the next incident going to do for you? Are you planning to start a video scrapbook to pass down through the generations of your family?

    You know the car, you know the license-plate number. Law enforcement and bicycling don't care for each other handle this yourself, or don't expect it to be handled. You could always just restructure your life, if you'd like: pick a new route, pick a new job; maybe move, huh?

    My advice is to say the hell with this "don't-escalate-things" tripe. File another police report, and, if you see nothing coming of the action, find the house the car belongs to, and egg it so far to **** the front door doesn't open for a month.
    Yeah, because meeting a bunch of children head on with childlike antics will make them stop. Egg the house? Sure! While you're at it, tp the front yard and spray paint the family pets. Surely they'll stop messing with you once you've showed them who's boss! Pure genius. Or...you could always just cut to the chase and murder them in their sleep.
    Philippians 2:9-11

  16. #16
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rex_kramer View Post
    My recommendation is not to escalate things (they obviously know your route), but you should make every effort to keep records of every incident in detail. Keep on the police. File a report. I HIGHLY suggest getting a helmet cam. As much as I hope it doesn't happen again, nothing would be better than to have it happen on tape. The icing on the cake would be a small claims law suit, which you would likely win.

    I ordered this one and the 2011 models are supposed to be shipping out in a little more than a week. It's waterproof (rated for diving), shoots in 720p and comes with a bunch of extras. You can't get anything close to that for $139.
    Exactly, and even if the OP were to alter his route there is a good chance that if these are "kids" that they'll have the time to wait for him be able to ambush him regardless of the time he rides through.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    keep the pressure on the cops. This is a felony in most states

    I can't believe that the cops in Houston are so used to lawlessness that they haven't tracked down this car yet. I would call the newspapers
    I agree wholeheartedly, keep the pressure on the cops.

    That's a good point. How long can it take to dig up information on a car? I also agree that if the OP doesn't get anywhere with the cops to contact the local media.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando303 View Post
    What the hell is recorded the next incident going to do for you? Are you planning to start a video scrapbook to pass down through the generations of your family?

    You know the car, you know the license-plate number. Law enforcement and bicycling don't care for each other — handle this yourself, or don't expect it to be handled. You could always just restructure your life, if you'd like: pick a new route, pick a new job; maybe move, huh?

    My advice is to say the hell with this "don't-escalate-things" tripe. File another police report, and, if you see nothing coming of the action, find the house the car belongs to, and egg it so far to **** the front door doesn't open for a month.
    Escalating things isn't going to do any good and is a quick way for the things to get out of hand in a hurry. And could end up with the OP getting hurt or killed by the "kids" that are targeting him.
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain; Giant Seek 2
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando303 View Post
    O.K., this also is not a bad plan. Then, rather than the whole house, you could egg just the guilty parties, when they're biking.
    Why do you keep advocating escalating things with more violence? What will you say when the OP becomes the victim of even more violence from these "kids?" Or if he ends up getting arrested himself? Are you prepared to pay for his legal fees?
    Digital Cowboy
    Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
    1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
    0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
    0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
    0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
    0.0.3 Neon Tetras
    1.0.0 Red Betta
    0.0.? Snails
    1.2.0 Swordtail
    2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
    0.0.3 Zebra's
    0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
    0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
    0.1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Little One)
    0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
    Live Long and Prosper

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The fish are spread out between several tanks.

  20. #20
    Senior Member commo_soulja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    C-Ville
    My Bikes
    are fun to ride
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they do it again, press charges. Seems to me throwing a mud ball or egg at a cyclists head is an assault and can cause a cyclist a crash and harm. If the police don't help, get a lawyer that will.

    Mud ball one day, an egg the next... it's just asking for an escalation. Who knows, they might break out a BB *** or worse.

    Burn those little punks and teach them a hard learned lesson.
    Mythical Creatures Touched Me in my Bathing Suit Area.

  21. #21
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I urge everyone to keep their ideas for illegal acts of retaliation to themselves

  22. #22
    Member BusterMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Puyallup WA
    My Bikes
    2009 Bianchi Via Nirone; 2010 GT Transeo W4F; 1985 Raleigh ElkHorn;1987 Schwinn Sierra
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a similar incident with punk teens on my ride. Police were unhelpful but sympathetic. I posted here asked what to do. Lots of great advice. I used my camera phone to take some crisp nice pictures. Followed up with an attorney, the police and a long conversation with the parents. For me this process worked amazingly well. The parents understand that I am willing to take it to the next level, the police understand that I will keep the pressure on and the punks get totally out of my way and leave me alone. Take the time to have an attorney contact the police and the parents is what I would suggest. AND keep that camera rolling.

  23. #23
    Lurking Under a Rock
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bringing this back around, I would like to address a couple of things. First, I have no plans to do anything silly like: shoot a *** at them, beat them with a tire iron, lob ninja throwing stars in their general direction, etc. When the passenger shot me the bird, i noticed his bicep was about the size of my ankle. imagine that headline: 30 year old man beats the crap out of two teenagers because they threw an egg at him. then la raza gets involved claiming this is a hate crime etc. paint it with any brush you want, but retaliating in this situation has almost no upside for me and a lot of downside. so, i will stick with getting my revenge vicariously through the police. i get that they probably think it is funny and I am the butt of the joke, just as some "old" man was the butt of my pranks when i was a teenager, but i just want it to stop because it is dangerous (know a guy at the local rando club who got hit with a water balloon and won't ever get all his vision back).

    second, since they throw things from behind, how would one video tape that? i was thinking i could: a) mount on top of helmet with a swivel (although this would be difficult to get straight and know what you are actually taping b) under seat c) swivel on handlebar shooting under armpit. advice?

  24. #24
    Ridin' South Cackalacky dahut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
    bringing this back around, I would like to address a couple of things. First, I have no plans to do anything silly like: shoot a *** at them, beat them with a tire iron, lob ninja throwing stars in their general direction, etc. When the passenger shot me the bird, i noticed his bicep was about the size of my ankle. imagine that headline: 30 year old man beats the crap out of two teenagers because they threw an egg at him. then la raza gets involved claiming this is a hate crime etc. paint it with any brush you want, but retaliating in this situation has almost no upside for me and a lot of downside. so, i will stick with getting my revenge vicariously through the police. i get that they probably think it is funny and I am the butt of the joke, just as some "old" man was the butt of my pranks when i was a teenager, but i just want it to stop because it is dangerous (know a guy at the local rando club who got hit with a water balloon and won't ever get all his vision back).

    second, since they throw things from behind, how would one video tape that? i was thinking i could: a) mount on top of helmet with a swivel (although this would be difficult to get straight and know what you are actually taping b) under seat c) swivel on handlebar shooting under armpit. advice?
    Ride slow through that area. As soon as you are hit, STOP. Get their license with your cellphone camera, kept at the ready.

    Now, send the license place foto to the Mayor, the Chief of Police, the Commissioner, the City Council, the newspapers, The White House and so on. Keep up the pressure. Time to stop *****footing around.

    P.S. You might also just call the cops again and when they do nothing, call them back to inform them you are going to the home where the car is registered yourself. Give them a time and mention that you aren't bringing a ***. Call the Police Commisioner, too.
    Since cops hate it when citizens handle their own problems without them, but they hear the word "***," they will rush over there.

    Cops on site.
    You on site.
    Perpetrators on site.
    Problem solved.
    Last edited by dahut; 07-13-11 at 07:49 AM.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually just about to post a similar topic when I saw this. I was riding today down the bike lane of a fairly busy road when some kid yelled an insult (I couldn't hear it very well) out the window at me. I completely ignore it. At the next traffic light I end up ahead of them again because they're in a long line of cars and I'm in the bike lane. The light turns green, we both go. I expect more insults when they pass again but instead they throw a full can of soda at me. From a moving car. Thankfully their aim is poor because it hit the pavement right behind me instead of hitting me directly, then burst, bouncing/shooting up and hitting me in the back of my leg. The only damage was a Sprite-soaked sock. I was too stunned to think to get a plate number, and they sped off FAST immediately so I wouldn't have been able to get one anyway.

    I've only been riding for the past few months and this is the first time I've had any problems with anyone. Hopefully I don't run into these stupid kids again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •