I am looking for a new Wheelset. My current rims are 18-622. Can anyone recommend a good replacement?
Here is my wishlist:
* Front and back set is less than $100 - I am willing to consider under $200
* Something that holds its true.
* Accommodates my current 8-speed cog stack.
* accommodates rim breaks.
* Stands up to year-round conditions. (105ºF to 0ºF, dry and wet conditions)
* Weight concerns come in behind cost and truing issues.
The why (if interested):
I got weary of constantly truing the WTB DX23 rims that came stock on my Marin San Rafael; one week and the wobble would return. The tech at my LBS said I could over-tension my spokes to hold it in balance longer.
That worked, from March to November; I only needed a single truing. However, during this weekend's chain cleaning, I noticed that the nipples are splitting out of the rim. My guess: with temps in the teen's for my morning commutes (Reno, NV) the spokes have shrunk and increased the tension beyond the rim's spec.