Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike Helmet Lock

    I came across this site last night (www.bikehelmetlock.com) & it looks like a pretty neat product (a cable that you run through one of the vent holes on your helmet, which you can then lock to your regular bike lock. It's really just a piece of wire looped into a figure 8 with a big nut in the middle. I have no interest in locking my recently acquired helmet to my bike, but the 'lock' would be perfect for attaching my helmet to my backpack when I walk into work, freeing up a hand.

    It looks like the product is no longer being manufactured. I think I could create the same thing at home, but I'm having trouble thinking of a suitable material for the cable. I think that something about the thickness/flexibility of an ipod charging cable would work fine, but I don't want to use one of my ipod cables to make it. To be honest, I'm not even sure where I'd buy a piece of coated cable or something else that would work, aside form using an old USB adapter or something. Mo other thought was using a climbing nut, which would probably work.

    Any other ideas? Or does anyone know where to buy one of these?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kryptonite and others sell short steel cables for locking helmets, seat posts, etc. They come in various lengths and thickness, are $5-10 or so, and are coated with loops on both ends.
    Check a amazon.

  3. #3
    idc
    idc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia/DC
    My Bikes
    GT road, Kona Jake disc, Wabi Special FG, Swift Folder, beater 26" MTB, Genesis Day 00
    Posts
    1,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attach my helmet to my backpack using the chin strap... ?

  4. #4
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,550
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helmet theft is relatively rare. I've left mine hanging off the handlebars (unlocked) all day and it's not been stolen. I would think it might be subject to vandalism or just taking for the sake of taking it more likely than actual theft for use or for it's resale value.

    Part of me thinks if someone wanted to steal my helmet for actual use more power to them. I have a few helmets I'd be willing to let one go if someone's that desperate for one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the lack of helmet theft. I have no interest in using the lock for that purpose, just ot help transport the helmet to/from work.

    I thought about using the chin strap. My only concern is that the helmet is a giro prolight & the strap system seems to be really lightweight, I wasn't sure if hanging the helmet by the strap would damage it in any way.

  6. #6
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,538
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Helmet theft is relatively rare. I've left mine hanging off the handlebars (unlocked) all day and it's not been stolen. I would think it might be subject to vandalism or just taking for the sake of taking it more likely than actual theft for use or for it's resale value.

    Part of me thinks if someone wanted to steal my helmet for actual use more power to them. I have a few helmets I'd be willing to let one go if someone's that desperate for one.
    I'd be more concerned about premature aging due to being left in the sun all day than theft of the helmet. Well most concerned about it getting wet from some rain I didn't see in the forecast. I hate putting on a wet helmet.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  7. #7
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than reinventing the wheel so to speak, you could always either buy another backpack that has a helmet keeper built-in or just wear your helmet into work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Rather than reinventing the wheel so to speak, you could always either buy another backpack that has a helmet keeper built-in or just wear your helmet into work.
    I actually have 2 other backpacks that have helmet holderss built in. I may resort to using those if I have to, but I really like the pack I am using now, except that it doesn't have any place to put the helmet. If worse comes to worse, I will just get a climbing nut & use that. Or just continue to carry it in my hand. It's not the end of the world, but this was such a simple solution. It's a shame that it's not still sold, but I do understand the limited niche of such a product.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other possible solutions with various degrees of Fredness:

    -Shove helmet in a plastic grocery bag. Use a D-ring to attach the handles to your backpack somehow.
    -Use a cargo net of some type.
    -Use one of those gym/string backpacks. Put your helmet in that, then wear it over your main pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  10. #10
    Mirror slap survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Other possible solutions with various degrees of Fredness:

    -Shove helmet in a plastic grocery bag. Use a D-ring to attach the handles to your backpack somehow.
    -Use a cargo net of some type.
    -Use one of those gym/string backpacks. Put your helmet in that, then wear it over your main pack.
    I have a backpack with a helmet pouch. How Fredly is that? Oh yeah, it also holds my hydration bladder and has a loop for a blinky.... The only way it would be Fredlier is if Carradice made it out of cotton duck and leather...
    "When I'm on a bike, it's like I'm 14 again, racing off to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters."

  11. #11
    Senior Member bhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    I attach my helmet to my backpack using the chin strap... ?
    Ditto.. chin strap connected to the right side strap, or right side of the messenger strap, hangs low out of the way.

  12. #12
    Ride On. Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use two u-locks and one kryponite cable. I run the cable through both wheels and my helmet to lock it. It is also nice because I don't have to deal with it when I am in the store.
    '10 Trek 1.5; '10 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er; '12 Trek Transport; '11 Gary Fisher/Trek HiFi Plus 29er; '96 Cannondale M400 - Sold = Regret
    My Cycling Blog

  13. #13
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm paranoid. While I've never had to depend on my helment, I trust my life to my helmet. I won't leave it out on the bike unattended. At work, my helmet sits at my desk with me. Leaving the helmet in the sun where UV can degrade the styrofoam should probably be avoided.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  14. #14
    Ride On. Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true. The UV will punish it. But honestly, motorcycle helmets are suggested to be replaced every 2 years due to UV wear. That is for people who ride daily. So as long as you follow the same guidelines, you should be ok.
    '10 Trek 1.5; '10 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er; '12 Trek Transport; '11 Gary Fisher/Trek HiFi Plus 29er; '96 Cannondale M400 - Sold = Regret
    My Cycling Blog

  15. #15
    Senior Member njschmidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg, MS
    My Bikes
    2011 Giant Defy 3
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK313 View Post
    To be honest, I'm not even sure where I'd buy a piece of coated cable or something else that would work, aside form using an old USB adapter or something. Mo other thought was using a climbing nut, which would probably work.

    Any other ideas? Or does anyone know where to buy one of these?
    As a former fisherman, I can tell you that most sporting goods stores sell various strength coated cables that fishermen use to make tooth-proof leaders. It's really easy to make something like this for a helmet. All you need are some needle-nose pliers, the coated cable, and a couple of "sleeves" (sleeves are basically metal tubes... should be in the same aisle as the coated cable). All you do is cut the cable to length, loop an end through and back the sleeve, and clamp down with the pliers.

    Hope this helps!
    The Obesyclist, where I'll blog about my cycling journey towards leading a more physically active life.


    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...crK/weight.png

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not interested in security, only backpack-attaching, you could wrap a piece of rope/clothesline/etc around a wooden dowel to achieve the same function. Why waste a $10 piece of climbing gear?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njschmidt View Post
    As a former fisherman, I can tell you that most sporting goods stores sell various strength coated cables that fishermen use to make tooth-proof leaders. It's really easy to make something like this for a helmet. All you need are some needle-nose pliers, the coated cable, and a couple of "sleeves" (sleeves are basically metal tubes... should be in the same aisle as the coated cable). All you do is cut the cable to length, loop an end through and back the sleeve, and clamp down with the pliers.

    Hope this helps!
    Thanks man, that's perfect!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    If you're not interested in security, only backpack-attaching, you could wrap a piece of rope/clothesline/etc around a wooden dowel to achieve the same function. Why waste a $10 piece of climbing gear?
    That's a good call too. If the wire thing doens't work out, the cord/dowel would work. Plus, if I make it correctly, I could leave it permanently attached to my backpack & just rotate the dowel rod to get the helmet on & off. Great idea. Thanks.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I'm thinking - if the the cord were a bungee it could hold the helmet snug and keep it from bouncing around, and the dowel could be a bit of plastic pipe or, even sexier, aluminum tubing.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    Now that I'm thinking - if the the cord were a bungee it could hold the helmet snug and keep it from bouncing around, and the dowel could be a bit of plastic pipe or, even sexier, aluminum tubing.
    I'm liking this. And there is a small lash point on the pack that's positioned perfectly for this. Genius idea about the bungee. If I do this correctly, it will look really nice & even less intrusive than the original helmet lock. Thanks for your ideas.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Hendricks97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    My Bikes
    All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK313 View Post
    My only concern is that the helmet is a giro prolight & the strap system seems to be really lightweight, I wasn't sure if hanging the helmet by the strap would damage it in any way.
    Hanging the helmet by its straps will definitely NOT damage the helmet in any way. If it did, what would that say about the usefulness of the helmet?

  22. #22
    Schwinnasaur Schwinnsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just run my u-lock through the straps when I lock the bike to the rack. Someone would have to cut the straps to steal it but it would be useless as a helmet if they did so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •