Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Ride On. Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    It is good to check out your ride first...

    I decided that I was going to give commuting to work a try in the next month. So I started driving back and fourth to work, following the planned route.

    I noticed that one section of my proposed route brought me to a severely crowded intersection. I also noticed that people who turned onto the same street I would be on drove like crazy people. Yeah, I decided right then and there that I was going to change my route.

    I am glad I decided to drive it several days in a row, just to be safe. This morning was just crazy.

    So since I found out that the route was not a good one, I started looking for alternatives. I found a road that runs parallel, but is only just another mile down the road. Interestingly enough, by changing to that less congested road I shed 1.5 miles off my commute!

    So now I am even more eager to get out on the bike. I just need to figure out my pannier organization first and make sure I have enough room for everything.
    '10 Trek 1.5; '10 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er; '12 Trek Transport; '11 Gary Fisher/Trek HiFi Plus 29er; '96 Cannondale M400 - Sold = Regret
    My Cycling Blog

  2. #2
    Senior Member ottawa_adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    My Bikes
    kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great investigative work. Enjoy the commute!

  3. #3
    Hrumph! El Duderino X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH8, reconstituted MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8 (Handspun Pavement Series II wheelset), Dynamic Crossroad 8, 2 ebikes - Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB mounted on Tidalforce frames.
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was going to be a pre-trip inspection thread. Anyhow, yes, I agree, it's always a good thing to do a little pre-commute reconnaissance. Since my office is in the downtown core I chose a Sunday morning to test drive the commute before committing to it. I already knew what to expect traffic-wise but wanted to know what to expect regarding time/duration of the commute, physical exertion levels and any traffic or routing snags that may not have occurred to me from the driver's seat of my car or a bus or hoofing it by foot.
    Jive won't get you no zen!
    - unknown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call on checking out the route for a city route. You are lucky that you were able to find a safer route. I don't understand my co-workers who ride their bikes in San Francisco. Fortunately the only major intersection is across a 2x3 lane busy road and I have no problems there other than waiting two minutes for the light on some days.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Trek Allant
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to doing a pre-commute recon ride by bike. Also check out google maps with the bicycle layer turned on--depending on where you live, the best route may not even be possible to drive on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I live in a pretty small city but I love mixing up my route and adventuring around town. I definitely know the shortest and safest ways but what is the fun in that?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1penguin View Post
    Good call on checking out the route for a city route. You are lucky that you were able to find a safer route. I don't understand my co-workers who ride their bikes in San Francisco. Fortunately the only major intersection is across a 2x3 lane busy road and I have no problems there other than waiting two minutes for the light on some days.
    What's wrong with riding in SF? Lack of alternatives?

    I learned to go around the hills whenever possible pretty quickly :-p. For example, by adding less than 1/4 mi to a route I was using for errands, I managed to avoid climbing 150 ft just to go down the other side.

  8. #8
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdavis View Post
    What's wrong with riding in SF? Lack of alternatives?

    I learned to go around the hills whenever possible pretty quickly :-p. For example, by adding less than 1/4 mi to a route I was using for errands, I managed to avoid climbing 150 ft just to go down the other side.
    I cannot imagine riding in a place where there are lights, Muni rails, buses, cars, crazy intersections, pedestrians, parked and double parked cars. Heck, I don't even like driving in SF. I'll take my suburbs any day.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  9. #9
    Member SMorrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    My Bikes
    Old Bianchi MtB retrofitted as commuter, retro '81 KHS Triathlete road bike
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post

    So since I found out that the route was not a good one, I started looking for alternatives. I found a road that runs parallel, but is only just another mile down the road. Interestingly enough, by changing to that less congested road I shed 1.5 miles off my commute!
    You gotta love it when a plan comes together!

  10. #10
    ride for a change modernjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
    Posts
    2,159
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice in theory, but what if you don't have a car? I find myself needing to go places all the time that I've never been before on my bike. I use Google maps "by bike" function which is sort of useful, look at the route and the options and then I hop on the bike and go. On occasion I find myself in not super bike friendly places, so I improvise, get lost a bit and find my destination anyway. It's all part of the adventure and allure of cycling. I've discovered some great places and routes this way.

    Granted, I'm an experienced urban rider, I don't have access to a car by design on most days and I have been living in this metropolis for a majority of my life. So test runs even if they were an option wouldn't be a very good use of my time. I just get on the bike and figure it out.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by modernjess View Post
    I use Google maps "by bike" function which is sort of useful, look at the route and the options and then I hop on the bike and go. On occasion I find myself in not super bike friendly places, so I improvise, get lost a bit and find my destination anyway. It's all part of the adventure and allure of cycling. I've discovered some great places and routes this way.
    THIS!

    Im in Houston, too, and this is how I found my commute route.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's strange to me to want to "pre-drive" a route for cycling. I haven't had a car for years and just sort of...get on my bike and ride to where I want to go.

  13. #13
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Duderino X View Post
    I thought this was going to be a pre-trip inspection thread.
    me too. Fortunately for the time my brakes weren't hooked up, the road I live on climbs a hill from my driveway
    My commute is simple enough that it doesn't change much, although I have worked on how to make it longer

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    All-City Space Horse!
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by modernjess View Post
    Nice in theory, but what if you don't have a car? I find myself needing to go places all the time that I've never been before on my bike. I use Google maps "by bike" function which is sort of useful, look at the route and the options and then I hop on the bike and go. On occasion I find myself in not super bike friendly places, so I improvise, get lost a bit and find my destination anyway. It's all part of the adventure and allure of cycling. I've discovered some great places and routes this way.

    Granted, I'm an experienced urban rider, I don't have access to a car by design on most days and I have been living in this metropolis for a majority of my life. So test runs even if they were an option wouldn't be a very good use of my time. I just get on the bike and figure it out.
    Agree. If you don't have a car or don't want to use your car to test your route out. I recommend riding it on an off day where there is no time constraints and probably less traffic. First time I rode to work was on a Saturday or Sunday and this was to just test the route and see how I felt about doing it daily.

    I've stumbled into some really cool areas getting a little lost taking a different route home. I had my phone on me with map/GPS function, but sometimes it is more fun to figure it out on your own. Of course, it is also better to leave the getting lost days to going home part of your trip and when no one is waiting for you.

  15. #15
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,164
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a pre ride safety check of the Bike too.. daily, perhaps..

  16. #16
    Old, but not really wise CptjohnC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA commuting to Washington DC
    My Bikes
    2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)
    Posts
    811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1penguin View Post
    I cannot imagine riding in a place where there are lights, Muni rails, buses, cars, crazy intersections, pedestrians, parked and double parked cars. Heck, I don't even like driving in SF. I'll take my suburbs any day.
    Interesting. My experience is essentially the opposite. I'd rather ride in DC, where there are lights, buses, cars, weird street configurations, pedestrians, double and triple parked cars and delivery vehicles, but where speeds are generally lower and bikes are plentiful, versus my suburbs which have lights, buses, cars, few pedestrians, fewer bikes, and much higher speeds. In the burbs, people don't know what to make of a bike being ridden on the road except on Sat. and Sun. morning.

  17. #17
    Hrumph! El Duderino X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH8, reconstituted MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8 (Handspun Pavement Series II wheelset), Dynamic Crossroad 8, 2 ebikes - Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB mounted on Tidalforce frames.
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Duderino X View Post
    I chose a Sunday morning to test drive the commute before committing to it.
    Just to be clear, when I said test drive, I meant by bike not car.
    Jive won't get you no zen!
    - unknown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •