I only live about a mile from my office, and I've decided to start commuting by bike. I've walked a few times, but I also go home for lunch, and walking doesn't leave me with much time to eat. Because of that, and the fact that I like exercising and being outdoors, riding a bike seems like the perfect option. The problem is, I don't know anything about bikes. Any advice (what type of bike to use, where to buy, should I get fitted, or any tips at all) would be greatly appreciated.
- I'm about 5'10" and 150 lbs
- I'm fairly athletic, run 2-3 miles 2-3 times per week
- This commute will be on asphalt/concrete only
- The parking lot at work is gated with security guards, so no major theft issue there (There are places to lock up bike outside)
- I live in a 3rd floor apt, so a lighter bike would be tremendous