Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-12, 08:35 AM   #1
mconlonx 
Nobody
Thread Starter
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Afine Di2 drop bar commuter?



Purported on Bikerumor to be a new Raleigh model...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 08:56 AM   #2
hobbitman 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Bikes: 70's Chimo Concourse, 85 Univega Sportour
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
meh

I'm not sure I quite understand the point of the electronic shifting thing. It just seems like a marketing tactic to sell stuff we don't need. The bicycle is a very simple, incredibly efficient tool for transportation. Why does it need electronics? This of course excludes cycle computers and the like as you can still ride the bike if they fail.
hobbitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:03 AM   #3
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,870
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
People said the same thing about indexed shifting, sti...and if you go back far enough, probably pneumatic tires. If it makes for smoother shifting and it eliminates trim issues, it's good by me.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:36 AM   #4
jeffpoulin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^ There are no trim issues with an IGH, and the mechanical shifting is already smooth. I understand the reason for Di2 at the Dura-Ace and even Ultegra levels, but I still don't see the point of the Alfine Di2, except to get an IGH with brifters using only Shimano parts.
jeffpoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:49 AM   #5
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
... for when you don't drive the Lotus or Mclaren to work?

.. in the wings: hydraulic disc+ electronic shifting..
the brake gets the space in the lever, shifting only needs the paddle space.

A mechanical brifter and hydraulic master need 200% of the available space.

where are the Carbon Fiber mudguards on this thing?

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-12 at 10:02 AM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:54 AM   #6
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sunny Florida
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. Way to drop the ball, Raleigh. I have no problem with the electronic shifting. I mean, I don't see the need for it, but it's kind of interesting. It might even make sense on a commuter bike, especially paired with discs. But why, when you have such a skill for making functional commuter bikes, WOULD YOU PUT IT ON ONE THAT ISN'T USEFUL? Why market a "commuter" bike that doesn't have fenders and looks like it won't carry a load? That's just a road bike, IMHO.

Now, you stick that group on a nice functional steel frame, like the Port Townsend or the Clubman, and you have something.

If the electronic setup is sealed and can deal with rain and road grime, that's just one less thing to worry about. Now, make it a belt drive and it's probably perfect.
Schwinnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 10:24 AM   #7
mconlonx 
Nobody
Thread Starter
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider View Post
Wow. Way to drop the ball, Raleigh. I have no problem with the electronic shifting. I mean, I don't see the need for it, but it's kind of interesting. It might even make sense on a commuter bike, especially paired with discs. But why, when you have such a skill for making functional commuter bikes, WOULD YOU PUT IT ON ONE THAT ISN'T USEFUL? Why market a "commuter" bike that doesn't have fenders and looks like it won't carry a load? That's just a road bike, IMHO.

Now, you stick that group on a nice functional steel frame, like the Port Townsend or the Clubman, and you have something.

If the electronic setup is sealed and can deal with rain and road grime, that's just one less thing to worry about. Now, make it a belt drive and it's probably perfect.
Actually not sure if Raleigh is marketing this as a commuter bike, but that's the nearest role I can see for it. I'd surely rock it on my commute.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 10:53 AM   #8
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 14,870
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin View Post
^^^ There are no trim issues with an IGH, and the mechanical shifting is already smooth. I understand the reason for Di2 at the Dura-Ace and even Ultegra levels, but I still don't see the point of the Alfine Di2, except to get an IGH with brifters using only Shimano parts.
I withdrawal my statement...you're absolutely right.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 11:13 AM   #9
erg79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitman View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand the point of the electronic shifting thing. It just seems like a marketing tactic to sell stuff we don't need. The bicycle is a very simple, incredibly efficient tool for transportation. Why does it need electronics? This of course excludes cycle computers and the like as you can still ride the bike if they fail.
I'm with Bike Snob when it comes to these "innovations" (he's talking about belt drives, but I'll extend it to electronic shifting on a "commuter" bike:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012...-contrary.html
erg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 11:23 AM   #10
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries
 
fuzz2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin View Post
^^^ There are no trim issues with an IGH, and the mechanical shifting is already smooth. I understand the reason for Di2 at the Dura-Ace and even Ultegra levels, but I still don't see the point of the Alfine Di2, except to get an IGH with brifters using only Shimano parts.
Well, there are no cables to mess with for one. A bike with Di2, an igh, a belt drive and hydraulic disks would need practically no attention.
fuzz2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 12:08 PM   #11
jeffpoulin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
Well, there are no cables to mess with for one. A bike with Di2, an igh, a belt drive and hydraulic disks would need practically no attention.
Except for charging the battery. I don't hear people with mechanical IGH's complaining about their cable maintenance. Once it's adjusted, it doesn't require attention either, and since there are no batteries, it probably takes even less attention than the Di2. I'm not against electronic shifting at all. I think it makes perfect sense for professional racing, especially for time trial bikes. I just don't get it for the Alfine. I'm I missing something?
jeffpoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 02:25 PM   #12
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries
 
fuzz2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin View Post
Except for charging the battery. I don't hear people with mechanical IGH's complaining about their cable maintenance. Once it's adjusted, it doesn't require attention either, and since there are no batteries, it probably takes even less attention than the Di2. I'm not against electronic shifting at all. I think it makes perfect sense for professional racing, especially for time trial bikes. I just don't get it for the Alfine. I'm I missing something?
With any system that has indexing in the shifter there is going to be a modicum of maintenance needed to account for cable stretch. I'm pretty sure both the occasional turn of the barrel adjuster and the charging of the battery are once every six month kind of things.
fuzz2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 02:50 PM   #13
Breathegood
Senior Member
 
Breathegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
Well, there are no cables to mess with for one. A bike with Di2, an igh, a belt drive and hydraulic disks would need practically no attention.
No shift cables would be awesome. This bike looks remarkably similar to my Twin Six. Since my 66 is intended to be a SS it doesn't have accommodations for shifter cables. I'm using the Jtech bar-end shifter and cable ties. Wireless shifting would clean up my bike a little bit. I'm guessing the brifter is the same as the DA so it would seem a natural progression to apply electronic shifting to the IGH lineup. Hydraulic discs would be nice for aesthetics and the low maintenance factor, but probably overkill in terms of stopping prowess. The cantis on my 66 have PLENTY of stopping power. Might be good for a loaded toured, but the bike pictured doesn't look like like it would ever carry a substantial load.
Breathegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.