All these years I guess I've just been living on the edge. I had no idea that studded tires and a front blinkie were illegal. Dang, now I feel so retroactively emasculated or something. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but it's my excuse. Consider:
On May 7th, the Minnesota Legislature passed a bill that combined the two transportation policy bills that BikeMN lobbied for this spring. The Governor signed it into law on May 10, 2012. The language may be found in Session Law Ch. 287 (HF2685). This law:
- Creates (but does not fund) a state safe routes to school program.
- Authorizes the Mississippi River Trail (MRT) as the first state bikeway.
- Makes it legal to use studded tires on a bicycle.
- Makes it legal to use a flashing white headlight on a bicycle.
- Makes it legal to ride a low-speed electric-assisted bicycle on trails and on the street without most of the motorcycle requirements.
- These new laws will go into effect August 1, 2012 unless otherwise noted in the bill. Read more