Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-12, 07:04 AM   #1
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Took the rack of my bike/heaviest components on your bike

Hey, so I decided to remove the Surly Nice Rack rear from my Cross Check because I just haven't been using it as much as I thought I would here in Korea where I don't commute much anymore since the school I work at is only 2 blocks away and everything really is just very close and convenient. Seriously, I live above a convenience store. No more long hauls loaded down with crap in my panniers. These days, I mostly just do recreational rides and sometimes I'll take it to go the bar, department store or bank...

Anyway, I just figured it was a useless dead weight penalty and thought I'd see how it handles without the 3 lb (1.3kg) rack. I'm actually kind of surprised that the difference is very noticeable, at least in my mind. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I really think that the bike accelerates faster, is more responsive to my hip steering (as opposed to handlebar steering), and is just a lot easier to haul up the stairs. I'm now only using my Wingnut backpack. Thoughts? Could removing 3lbs really make that much of a difference?


This got me thinking about the other weighty items on my bike. I don't think the stock wheels are the lightest, but that's okay with me for now. I think they're pretty strong. I also got the 420g MKS King Grip or Lambda pedals and a 860g sprung Brooks Flyer. I'm not willing to part with either of those for weight's sake but I might upgrade the wheels some day. So what's the heaviest component on your bikes? Is it worth it to you?

Last edited by SurlyLaika; 06-07-12 at 04:33 PM.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:08 AM   #2
benda18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
N+1. If your bike is too heavy it's time to get a lighter bike.
benda18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:21 AM   #3
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benda18 View Post
N+1. If your bike is too heavy it's time to get a lighter bike.
I thinkk it was topping out at 30lbs, but now it's 3lbs lighter and feels so good and zippy!
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:47 AM   #4
linus
Sprinter
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me. And next to that is my Kryptonite Evo 5. It's definitely not coming off my bike tho.
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:09 AM   #5
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,510
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
The weight of a single component usually doesn't make much difference, but it all starts to add up pretty quickly. My touring bike weighed only about 22 lbs when built up with no fenders, rear rack, seat bags, etc. However, it weighs closer to 30 lbs when fenders, front and rear racks and other parts -- not even including panniers, water bottles, etc. I also took the rear rack off my touring bike when I was using it for commuting. Not only did it add more weight, but I found that it made the frame ride a lot stiffer. I'm using that bike for actual touring now, however, so I have reinstalled the rear rack, added a front rack, Brooks saddle, frame pump, etc. and it feels like it weighs a ton.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:13 AM   #6
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
Me. And next to that is my Kryptonite Evo 5. It's definitely not coming off my bike tho.
haha, yea I know what you mean. I'm not overweight but I'm definitely not in optimal condition either. Just checked the weight on that Evo 5, 2.3 lbs compared to the Faghettaboutit's 4.5lbs. holy cow, right? I'm having seconds thoughts about buying the Faghettaboutit now. How much do you weigh?
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:17 AM   #7
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA
 
FrenchFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The Surly Nice was a monster, I eBayed mine last year. I've been lightened my tourer, including my beloved double kickstand - probably another 1.5 lbs right there. My hold-out on that bike so far is the Jandd rear rack, it's simply too practicable to lose. But I'm eyeing the saddle and seatpost, wheelset, probably another couple of pounds to pick up there.

I just like how much livelier the bike feels on a diet. Yes, I could lose the same lbs, but a lighter bike is a lighter bike.
FrenchFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:18 AM   #8
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
The weight of a single component usually doesn't make much difference, but it all starts to add up pretty quickly. My touring bike weighed only about 22 lbs when built up with no fenders, rear rack, seat bags, etc. However, it weighs closer to 30 lbs when fenders, front and rear racks and other parts -- not even including panniers, water bottles, etc. I also took the rear rack off my touring bike when I was using it for commuting. Not only did it add more weight, but I found that it made the frame ride a lot stiffer. I'm using that bike for actual touring now, however, so I have reinstalled the rear rack, added a front rack, Brooks saddle, frame pump, etc. and it feels like it weighs a ton.
I'm not a gram counter, by any means...but I'd rather put my grams in where they're most useful like my pedals and saddle.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:20 AM   #9
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
The Surly Nice was a monster, I eBayed mine last year. I've been lightened my tourer, including my beloved double kickstand - probably another 1.5 lbs right there. My hold-out on that bike so far is the Jandd rear rack, it's simply too practicable to lose. But I'm eyeing the saddle and seatpost, wheelset, probably another couple of pounds to pick up there.

I just like how much livelier the bike feels on a diet. Yes, I could lose the same lbs, but a lighter bike is a lighter bike.
I was thinking about saving my beastly Surly Nice Rack for my touring bike when I get one and getting a lighter, more practical rack for my uh commuter. I forget if it was a Jandd but I heard about one a while ago that was quite light and had a good cargo weight capacity.

Also, Frenchfit, I've been running 6 out of 7 days the last 2 weeks...only 1.5 miles every day but at least it's consistent. I feel good, in a different way than I do when I bike. I mean, I just feel a little more springy, lively, etc. Try it out, even if it isn't far. Any plans to lose a few lbs? I'd like to get down 15lbs, not much but damn it's hard when you're not actually fat. Just little motivation.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:42 AM   #10
linus
Sprinter
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
haha, yea I know what you mean. I'm not overweight but I'm definitely not in optimal condition either. Just checked the weight on that Evo 5, 2.3 lbs compared to the Faghettaboutit's 4.5lbs. holy cow, right? I'm having seconds thoughts about buying the Faghettaboutit now. How much do you weigh?
I also have the Faghettaboutit and NY Standard. Awesome but I need to see a chiropractor after carrying them around.

I'm 190lbs now.
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:49 AM   #11
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Surlylaika, if you're thinking of putting a rack back on for carrying panniers consider one of the narrow ones like the Axiom StreamlinerDLX or Tubus Airy. I had various wide platform rear racks on my Cross-Check and noticed the handling was noticably better with a narrow rack like the Axiom Streamliner DLX.
LeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 09:13 AM   #12
groovestew
Senior Member
 
groovestew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Bikes: 2012 Surly Disc Trucker custom build, 2009 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Bianchi road bike, 2012 Scott OTG-20
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
...Maybe it's a placebo effect but I really think that the bike accelerates faster, is more responsive to my hip steering (as opposed to handlebar steering), and is just a lot easier to haul up the stairs. I'm now only using my Wingnut backpack. Thoughts? Could removing 3lbs really make that much of a difference?...
...So what's the heaviest component on your bikes? Is it worth it to you?
I certainly like a nice, light bike, but I don't mind riding a heavy bike for commuting. When I do really long rides on the weekend (300+km) when I need extra room for carrying layers, food, etc., I will sometimes put a seatpost rack with a trunk bag (about 10lbs) on my bike, and I absolutely hate how it makes the bike handle. It's not really noticeable 98% of the time, which is why I tolerate it, but that other 2% (climbing, accelerating) is really annoying.

For commuting, I keep my light bike light, and use a backpack to maintain good handling characteristics. My all-weather commuter is heavy, so I just don't expect as much from it.
groovestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:19 AM   #13
newkie
dazed and confused
 
newkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ireland
Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a fully built up commuter with IGH, fenders, 2 stands, ring lock, u-lock. Depending on my route, I have to lift the bike over a chest-high wall. I always notice how heavy the rear is on this monster. With the front so light and the rear so ladden when I first got it I really noticed the handling was different and a bit squirrely. I've since gotten used to it and when I take my beater to the pub, the beater is the one that feels strange. It makes a difference yes, but your physical and mental memory can learn anything.
newkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:29 AM   #14
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2.95kg is more like 6.5 lbs.

you're removing 3 1L milk tetra-paks from over the back wheel ... of course it will make a difference.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:34 AM   #15
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I can't think of a single chunkier piece of anything to hang on a bike than a surly nice rack. Other than that they fit pugsley wheels and cost less than OMM racks that do the same, I honestly can't figure out how they sell those at all.


I do have one on my pugsley though, which itself is a giant chunky piece of a lot of stuff.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:50 AM   #16
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Surly's racks are rather excessively heavy.. Front one definitely.
Tubus are a bit more reasonable, of the steel tube racks.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:58 AM   #17
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,597
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Who makes a really light, dare I say it, "flimsy" rear rack? I'm looking to get rid of the backpack, but won't need more than 10lbs of capacity.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:04 AM   #18
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
2.95kg is more like 6.5 lbs.

you're removing 3 1L milk tetra-paks from over the back wheel ... of course it will make a difference.
Not sure where the OP got 2.95 kg. Surly lists the Nice rear rack at 1260g = 2.78 lbs.

It took me a second to figure out why they named it Nice. Too funny.
flipped4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:09 AM   #19
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Surly's racks are rather excessively heavy.. Front one definitely.
Tubus are a bit more reasonable, of the steel tube racks.
A bit more reasonable in the sense of 30% of the weight but 90% of the capacity... (and ~80% of the cost)
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:11 AM   #20
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
I can't think of a single chunkier piece of anything to hang on a bike than a surly nice rack. Other than that they fit pugsley wheels and cost less than OMM racks that do the same, I honestly can't figure out how they sell those at all.


I do have one on my pugsley though, which itself is a giant chunky piece of a lot of stuff.
I own a OMM Sherpa, and the Surly Nice is rated to carry TWICE the weight of the Sherpa. So here's my question: say you even load up a Nice to 80 lbs, something's got to give, right? Can you break off a bolt/screw with that kind of load?
flipped4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:15 AM   #21
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA
 
FrenchFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
I was thinking about saving my beastly Surly Nice Rack for my touring bike when I get one and getting a lighter, more practical rack for my uh commuter. I forget if it was a Jandd but I heard about one a while ago that was quite light and had a good cargo weight capacity.

Also, Frenchfit, I've been running 6 out of 7 days the last 2 weeks...only 1.5 miles every day but at least it's consistent. I feel good, in a different way than I do when I bike. I mean, I just feel a little more springy, lively, etc. Try it out, even if it isn't far. Any plans to lose a few lbs? I'd like to get down 15lbs, not much but damn it's hard when you're not actually fat. Just little motivation.
I am a fairly regular runner, 30-40 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. Love it, probably as much as cycling. But my knees won't take the concrete, I'm confined to treadmills or the soft track at the local HS. Great for climbing stamina.
FrenchFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:37 AM   #22
Onions
Insane Member
 
Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arlington, TX
Bikes: Huffy Grand Prairie 15sp MTB (don't hate!), 1980 Schwinn World Tourist, 1976 Schwinn Traveler, 1974 Romic Custom (project bike!)
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my commuter, I got the lightest one I could afford on Amazon with decent reviews. It's a tad small, but big enough to hold my panniers, and, properly installed, is pretty sturdy. I've carried both panniers and two crates full of groceries bungeed on a few times, and it didn't even try to give way. I've been pretty impressed. replace the crappy aluminum bolts that come with it, though. they're awful.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Rear-AT...dp/B0014URFPS/
Onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:57 AM   #23
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And to answer your question, the heaviest component other than my Sherpa rack is my Brooks Imperial saddle. 530g (1.16 lbs) and worth it. I use do to be a weight weenie, thinking that saddles that weight 200g were the shiznit. Until certain things went numb.
flipped4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:59 PM   #24
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
2.95kg is more like 6.5 lbs.

you're removing 3 1L milk tetra-paks from over the back wheel ... of course it will make a difference.
sorry, that was a type I met 2.95lbs or 1.3kg. Not 6.5lbs haha, but yea...it feels like a new bike to me. I don't think I've ever not had the rack on there and now I'm able to just use my backpack for just about everything.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:00 PM   #25
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes View Post
And to answer your question, the heaviest component other than my Sherpa rack is my Brooks Imperial saddle. 530g (1.16 lbs) and worth it. I use do to be a weight weenie, thinking that saddles that weight 200g were the shiznit. Until certain things went numb.
I've only ever had Brooks. I rode the stock WTB SST saddle for a while but it was a pain in the ass. If I were to ever try a synthetic saddle, it might be Fizik's saddles.
SurlyLaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.