Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-12, 12:08 AM   #1
blargman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Bikes: GT GT-R Series 3.0
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can I tell what tires I can use?

Just bought a 2012 GT Series 3 road bike and I'm a new biker so I don't know much. I'll be using it mostly for getting back and forth to town ( about 10 miles round trip ). Riding it is great in the sunny days, I'm just concerned about when it gets wetter and colder. I'm trying to find some mud guards that would aesthetically pleasing and functional but I'm also unsure about what sort of tires I can use. It seems some bikes can't always take knobby tires. Should I be worried about getting knobby tires in anything but snow to begin with?

pic of the new bike




Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (98.0 KB, 27 views)
blargman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 09:35 AM   #2
CigTech
Senior Member
 
CigTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked up that rim and it's the Jalco DRX 4000 with a 13 mm inside rim opening for the tire.

Here is a link for the master bike guy Sheldon Brown. http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#iso

Looks like you can go with a 23 mm to about 28mm. Anything bigger may not stay in the rim. But you never know till you try
CigTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 10:15 AM   #3
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The limiting factor will be the tyre clearance at the brake and/or the frame. You may be able to fit 28mm but note that there is a lot of variation in actual width and wider variants may not fit.
If you have fender eyelets, you need about 5mm of space to fit them so may not be able to use 28mm.

If you wanted to fit knobbly tyres, you probably bought the wrong bike. You don't need nobbles in the rain, just a tough, puncture resistant commuter/training grade tyre. Dont skimp on tyre quality, this is the no.1 cause of being late for work.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 01:45 PM   #4
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
The limiting factor will be the tyre clearance at the brake and/or the frame. You may be able to fit 28mm but note that there is a lot of variation in actual width and wider variants may not fit.
If you have fender eyelets, you need about 5mm of space to fit them so may not be able to use 28mm.

If you wanted to fit knobbly tyres [and fenders] you probably bought the wrong bike. You don't need nobbles in the rain, just a tough, puncture resistant commuter/training grade tyre. Dont skimp on tyre quality, this is the no.1 cause of being late for work.
You may find yourself limited to fatter tires or fenders. Fatter tires and fenders might not fit and/or be aesthetically pleasing.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 07:39 PM   #5
sci_femme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast
Bikes: cyclotank
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For wet grip Continental 4-seasons are the best. On a dry road they are not too shabby either, comfortable ride, nice wearability and good puncture protection. One drawback - price.
sci_femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 08:57 PM   #6
bragi
bragi
 
bragi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Bikes: LHT
Posts: 2,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargman View Post
Just bought a 2012 GT Series 3 road bike and I'm a new biker so I don't know much. I'll be using it mostly for getting back and forth to town ( about 10 miles round trip ). Riding it is great in the sunny days, I'm just concerned about when it gets wetter and colder. I'm trying to find some mud guards that would aesthetically pleasing and functional but I'm also unsure about what sort of tires I can use. It seems some bikes can't always take knobby tires. Should I be worried about getting knobby tires in anything but snow to begin with?

pic of the new bike




Chris
Are you sure you need knobby tires at all? If you're riding on pavement, knobbies are extremely counterproductive, unless you WANT to work twice as hard to ride twice as slowly. If you're concerned about snow and ice (I'm very concerned about it), studded tires work way better than anything else in those conditions, and they have way better clearance than knobbies.

If you want to know which tires will fit on your rims, the Sheldon Brown site mentioned above is great. When I switched from 37 mm to 28 mm tires last year, I just went to the web site of the company that made my rims and looked it up.
bragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 02:20 AM   #7
blargman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Bikes: GT GT-R Series 3.0
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for the input. I am trying to look at that sheldon brown chart and see how it relates to my rims. I'm not sure. As for the knobby tires, I am brand new to biking. I just assumed that's what one would want for rain/snow. I see I was completely wrong


I see I am using Schwalbe Lugano, 700x23c now. What would be a good upgrade? The continental's? I'm not too concerned about price. I'm already looking at what I can do to upgrade other aspects of this new bike I'm rarely satisified.
blargman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 03:12 AM   #8
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargman View Post
Thank you all for the input. I am trying to look at that sheldon brown chart and see how it relates to my rims. I'm not sure. As for the knobby tires, I am brand new to biking. I just assumed that's what one would want for rain/snow. I see I was completely wrong


I see I am using Schwalbe Lugano, 700x23c now. What would be a good upgrade? The continental's? I'm not too concerned about price. I'm already looking at what I can do to upgrade other aspects of this new bike I'm rarely satisified.
Conti. Gatorskin, decent ride, light, somewhat fast. high mileage, good puncture resistance.
Maxxis re-fuse, light, great wet weather traction, very good puncture resistance. somewhat fast.

I hear panaracer t serve's are great for your needs too.
ben4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 PM.