Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Grapevine, Texas
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Yet another light thread.

    Need a brighter front light then what I have....I use the cheapo light from Target...the Bell one that comes with a rear light for like 26 bucks or 29 bucks.

    So I am swaying towards Amazon for my purchase and I would really like a good recommendation for a bright front light that is battery powered...really dont want anything above $30 so recommendations would be wonderful, that is sold on Amazon.
    dinksbikeblog.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,520
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no miracle to get with a 30$ budget.
    Originally Posted by Leebo

    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!

  3. #3
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    There's no miracle to get with a 30$ budget.
    This is what you want. I have seen it.

    http://www.tmart.com/Q5-3-Mode-LED-B...0_p124037.html
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  4. #4
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,520
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two of those,http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CREE-Q5-240-L...item231efa514e
    Quite bright for the price but when you hit good bumps it tends to triger the dimming switch so it's a bit annoying.
    Originally Posted by Leebo

    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!

  5. #5
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,520
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    This is what you want. I have seen it.

    http://www.tmart.com/Q5-3-Mode-LED-B...0_p124037.html
    It doesn't say how many lumens, or at least I don't see where it says it.
    Originally Posted by Leebo

    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!

  6. #6
    Senior Member degnaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    1,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    It doesn't say how many lumens, or at least I don't see where it says it.
    It uses the same LED, so I'm assuming it's also "240lm". That most likely means it's somewhere between 100 and 150 in actuality.

  7. #7
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    I have two of those,http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CREE-Q5-240-L...item231efa514e
    Quite bright for the price but when you hit good bumps it tends to triger the dimming switch so it's a bit annoying.
    That is not the same light.

    Do your two take the 18650 battery?

    I put masking tape on the batterys to make a tight fit.
    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-27-12 at 04:35 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  8. #8
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,520
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    That is not the same light.

    Do your two take the 18650 battery?
    I know it's not the same. The way I wrote it was misleading, sorry. I just wanted to show what I got on my bike. The brightness is ok but the cheap chinese quality is annoying as you always have to fuss with the switch.
    Last edited by dramiscram; 06-27-12 at 04:41 PM.
    Originally Posted by Leebo

    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!

  9. #9
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    I know it's not the same. The way I wrote it was misleading, sorry. I just wanted to show what I got on my bike. The brightness is ok but the cheap chinese quality is annoying as you always have to fuss with the switch.
    I have 6 like to oneI linked. Water proof and have not had any switch problems.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  10. #10
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    I have 6 like to oneI linked. Water proof and have not had any switch problems.
    Maybe not the time or place to ask, but when I first joined BF, your default 'suggestion' was typically a Dinotte- what's changed? Or are you still using the Dinotte as the primary to see by light, and have these cheaper ones acting as 'see me' lights on multiple bikes

  11. #11
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Maybe not the time or place to ask, but when I first joined BF, your default 'suggestion' was typically a Dinotte- what's changed? Or are you still using the Dinotte as the primary to see by light, and have these cheaper ones acting as 'see me' lights on multiple bikes
    My Dinnotte is a tail light. I do not have a Dinnotte head light.

    I have B&M Ixon IQ Head light with a 20 hour run time from 4 AA batteries.

    I have recently started using the 18650 Flashing Lights for Day Time Strobe use.

    Have found that the adjustable focus flashlights make good night road lights for 3 hours.

    I like the Three Mode ones best.

    Two mounted under my bars with a rubber band.



    My IQ:

    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-27-12 at 05:09 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My Bikes
    Felt nine flow
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its the same led it can be a lot brighter or dimmer depends how hard it is driven

  13. #13
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On everything except my commuter, I have one of these:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-cree-rc-n3-3-mode-led-flashlight-1xcr123a-2xaa-9070?item=52


    mounted by one of these:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...diameter-31871

    Less than $20 delivered for both pieces.

  14. #14
    Junior Member Mossy Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    a light I have had good luck with

    I have had very good luck with the Techlite Lumen master from Costco.
    TechliteFlashliteC.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •