Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-05, 08:19 AM   #1
d2create
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
d2create's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston we have a problem
Bikes:
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got my Cateye TL-LD1000!

And boy, that thing is WICKED BRIGHT!
I stood the bike up in my garage, turned off the garage lights and walked outside. It was blindingly bright. Couldn't see anything but a flashing red mass in the garage! haha

Pretty impressive for 2 AA batteries (included).
d2create is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 10:59 AM   #2
jlin453
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Jamis Satellite
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, it's great. First thing that I noticed was its size. Guess it looked smaller in the pictures.
jlin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 11:17 AM   #3
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get AA lithiums. If you're using it on blink mode, $5 every 2 months isn't that expensive. Plus they start at almost 3.6V vs. around 3.1-3.2V for alkalines and they maintain a high potential until the last 4-5 hours when they dim down.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 01:46 PM   #4
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I took slvoid's advice and got lithiumís for my TL-LD 1000. It really is noticeable. Especially in the dark, I think it is worth the money.

I have also put my light on an MTB and hammered it over 2-3" ice bumps for miles with no problems. It was on part of the time. I have not had it in the rain yet.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 05:59 PM   #5
rnagaoka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I have also put my light on an MTB and hammered it over 2-3" ice bumps for miles with no problems. It was on part of the time. I have not had it in the rain yet.
I have the new Cateye on my helmet and the Performance Flare on my rack (thanks for the thorough comparison in the other thread, 2manybikes.) Been riding in the torrential downpours of Southern California, and both lights have been 100% dependable.

As 2manybikes mentioned before, the Cateye gives good visibility 180 degrees and the Flare is more like a light sabre, burning the eyeballs of those who dare to come too close.
rnagaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 06:14 PM   #6
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
I have the new Cateye on my helmet and the Performance Flare on my rack (thanks for the thorough comparison in the other thread, 2manybikes.) Been riding in the torrential downpours of Southern California, and both lights have been 100% dependable.

As 2manybikes mentioned before, the Cateye gives good visibility 180 degrees and the Flare is more like a light sabre, burning the eyeballs of those who dare to come too close.
I'm glad it worked out for you. I would love to hear about, or see a picture of how you mounted your lights. Isn't the flare a surprise, how good it is?

When you use up your batteries, if you don't mind spending more, the Lithium batteries make the lights even brighter. Sorry you were riding in the rain but good to hear about the submersion test. I have not had a chance to really get them soaked yet.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 08:04 PM   #7
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed
 
BeTheChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boone, NC
Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to mount it to the end of a bike rack? Do I need to fabricate something? I love mine btw. Damn that thing is bright, but it is also big and I can hit my legs on it because my seat is far back.
BeTheChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 08:52 PM   #8
JohnBrooking
Commuter
 
JohnBrooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much does it cost?
JohnBrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:31 PM   #9
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Does anyone know how to mount it to the end of a bike rack? Do I need to fabricate something? I love mine btw. Damn that thing is bright, but it is also big and I can hit my legs on it because my seat is far back.
If you take it off the quick connect bracket it will bolt on to a regular reflector bracket just like a reflector with a screw. I think mine had a screw, not sure, I may have already had one. Just take one from a reflector.

From the instructions:
Comes with a quick-release seatpost mount, also fits standard reflector brackets with included hardware.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 01-13-05 at 10:02 PM. Reason: incomplete
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:38 PM   #10
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
How much does it cost?
Here's where I got mine. $36.00

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/index.html
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 03:39 PM   #11
rnagaoka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I'm glad it worked out for you. I would love to hear about, or see a picture of how you mounted your lights. Isn't the flare a surprise, how good it is?
On the Flare, I improvised an aluminum L-bracket to fit onto the rear rack and screwed the Flare plastic caddy on it. It's nice because the light is still easily removeable. However, the light sticks out from the rear of the bike (which actually is good for side visibility)...but I haven't broken it off yet.

On the Cateye TL-LD1000 helmet mounted light, I used an older Cateye plastic mounting clip and screwed it into the new light. It clips onto the helmet's rear retention strap.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sawara...bum?.dir=/1770

Last edited by rnagaoka; 01-14-05 at 03:51 PM.
rnagaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 04:04 PM   #12
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks, it sounds like an excellent job. The cateye up on the helmet has got to be a very,very, good way to be seen.

I think you are running into a problem I ran into with my Yahoo web sight. You can't just copy the URL and send it to someone. It will never work. They ask for a password that way,the only way you can share that picture is by sending the regular Yahoo email invitation. Thanks for the thought anyway.

Email me the regular Yahoo email invitation to the picture if you want to.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 01-14-05 at 04:07 PM. Reason: incomplete
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 04:06 PM   #13
rnagaoka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, I screwed up with the yahoo link...I think it should work now.

Last edited by rnagaoka; 01-14-05 at 04:14 PM.
rnagaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 04:19 PM   #14
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
[QUOTE=rnagaoka]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
On the Flare, I improvised an aluminum L-bracket to fit onto the rear rack and screwed the Flare plastic caddy on it. It's nice because the light is still easily removeable. However, the light sticks out from the rear of the bike (which actually is good for side visibility)...but I haven't broken it off yet.

On the Cateye TL-LD1000 helmet mounted light, I used an older Cateye plastic mounting clip and screwed it into the new light. It clips onto the helmet's rear retention strap.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sawara...bum?.dir=/1770
I stand corrected, I could never make that Yahoo URL work like that. Nice bracket, simple+strong. I have a couple of those plastic clips for lights too, I might copy your helmet idea, if you don't mind. Having the cat eye that high off the ground is a very good thing in my opinion. Now you even have high mount side lights. Nothing is going to beat what you have now. If you get hit by a car now it won't be an accident. Happy night riding.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:01 PM   #15
rnagaoka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I stand corrected, I could never make that Yahoo URL work like that.
Not very intuitive...
Go to your "my photos" page > click on "share an album" > choose the album you want to share > click on "edit settings" at bottom of page > choose the "public" setting so everyone can view the album


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Nothing is going to beat what you have now. If you get hit by a car now it won't be an accident. Happy night riding.
Yea, now that I've got my back covered...time to start reading the "total geekiness" thread (all 1000 pages!) and make myself a 40 watt halogen headlight.
rnagaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:48 PM   #16
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got mine on order from REI.
When I needed to make a bracket for the back of my rack, I got a piece of aluminum, put it in a vice, and twisted it 90 degrees. I can now bolt it through a bottom hole onto the back of the rack, and with the seatpost clamp section of the regular mount removed, just bolt the quick release section of the mount through a top hole I drilled in the twisted aluminum.
I'm going to see how NiMH rechargeables work in the light. I already have some, and the charger, so we'll see how they work.
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:53 PM   #17
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
Not very intuitive...
Go to your "my photos" page > click on "share an album" > choose the album you want to share > click on "edit settings" at bottom of page > choose the "public" setting so everyone can view the album




Yea, now that I've got my back covered...time to start reading the "total geekiness" thread (all 1000 pages!) and make myself a 40 watt halogen headlight.

I made a 50 watt halogen headlight out of stuff lying around. I guess it would cost $50 to $75 to buy everything. It will boil water right off the housing. I could probably make coffee with it. I can't read every post, but I guess it's more powerful than all of them. It has a much nicer looking light head. It looks like it belongs on a bike. But, with a 7ah sla battery for one hour run time, the battery is very heavy.The battery looks silly. I have hammered this thing on the mtb though, it works.

My favorite home-made
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:58 PM   #18
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I've got mine on order from REI.
When I needed to make a bracket for the back of my rack, I got a piece of aluminum, put it in a vice, and twisted it 90 degrees. I can now bolt it through a bottom hole onto the back of the rack, and with the seatpost clamp section of the regular mount removed, just bolt the quick release section of the mount through a top hole I drilled in the twisted aluminum.
I'm going to see how NiMH rechargeables work in the light. I already have some, and the charger, so we'll see how they work.
When you have some run time on the light I would be very interested to hear how long you ran the rechargable Nimh's and what size/kind they are. I guess we all would.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 11:21 PM   #19
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My batteries are Rayovac NiMH rechargables. The light holds two AA size batteries. It hasn't come in yet. I'll have to actually leave it on and carry it around with me to check the run time. I've used a Cateye EL-300 before with them, and they would last over 10-12 hours without losing power. I got the NiMH so I could keep recharging them after one or two uses. I haven't let them run completely down yet.
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 05:29 PM   #20
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
My batteries are Rayovac NiMH rechargables. The light holds two AA size batteries. It hasn't come in yet. I'll have to actually leave it on and carry it around with me to check the run time. I've used a Cateye EL-300 before with them, and they would last over 10-12 hours without losing power. I got the NiMH so I could keep recharging them after one or two uses. I haven't let them run completely down yet.
Thank you for that info. Sorry, I should have worded my question differently. I have that light and I have Nimh rechargable AA's. The capacity is listed on the battery. this changes the run time. I have some
new high capacity AA's that are 2300 mAh. The mAh number is what I'm looking for. No hurry I know it's going to take some time to run down your light.The TL-LD 1000 is the one I'm interested in.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 06:55 PM   #21
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Thank you for that info. Sorry, I should have worded my question differently. I have that light and I have Nimh rechargable AA's. The capacity is listed on the battery. this changes the run time. I have some
new high capacity AA's that are 2300 mAh. The mAh number is what I'm looking for. No hurry I know it's going to take some time to run down your light.The TL-LD 1000 is the one I'm interested in.
You're definitely right, REI has them on backorder. My batteries say 1600mAh, so we'll se how they run.
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 AM.