Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-12, 02:31 PM   #1
modernjess
ride for a change
Thread Starter
 
modernjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First white commute of the season!

We had a little surprise snow "event" this morning on my side of town, just 1 or 2 fluffy inches. Of course it completely snarled traffic for the cagers who have forgotten how to drive in it...again.. heh heh.
I jumped on the Moonlander and smiled all the way to work. (man I love that bike!)

It was best Monday morning commute I've had in a long while. Grabbed a pic for those of you who might have put the bike away for the season. This is what you missed today. (temp 22F)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nov 11 commute.jpg (70.7 KB, 116 views)
modernjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 02:33 PM   #2
joshuatrio
Senior Member
 
joshuatrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central California
Bikes: Giant TCR C1
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks fun - nice pic !
joshuatrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 02:43 PM   #3
MNBikeCommuter
Senior Member
 
MNBikeCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was out in it with my road bike and slick tires. Fortunately they cut through to pavement just fine. Glad I made it to work before things really got to be a mess. I'd better start seriously thinking about getting my winter bike back in commission. It's been easy to blow off the much-needed maintenance the last few months and it was left in pieces about the time the streets cleared up last spring. :-)
MNBikeCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 03:23 PM   #4
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
good gravy, that looks cold.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:21 PM   #5
John_1961
LOVE TO BIKE
 
John_1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WAUKESHA WIS
Bikes: GIANT OCR 3 / Jamis Renegade Expert
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now I have to get my Trek 820 ready for my winter commute won't be long and we'll have snow btw
nice pic
John_1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:29 PM   #6
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes:
Posts: 8,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter View Post
I was out in it with my road bike and slick tires. Fortunately they cut through to pavement just fine. Glad I made it to work before things really got to be a mess. I'd better start seriously thinking about getting my winter bike back in commission. It's been easy to blow off the much-needed maintenance the last few months and it was left in pieces about the time the streets cleared up last spring. :-)
Me too. A few of the intersections were very slick and some cars spun out. Otherwise it was uneventful other than my feet were cold. I haven't gotten all my winter gear out yet.

I sold the Nexus 8 speed rear wheel from my winter bike last week so I could fund the remaining pieces I need to build the Alfine wheel and disc brake. Needless to say I don't have all the parts yet so my winter bike is out of commission at least until next week.

This morning was probably the slipperiest conditions I've yet ridden my road bike under. It worked OK but it was kind of odd trying to take off from a stop light and having the wheel spin like it was on a bike stand.
tjspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:31 PM   #7
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes:
Posts: 8,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernjess View Post
We had a little surprise snow "event" this morning on my side of town, just 1 or 2 fluffy inches. Of course it completely snarled traffic for the cagers who have forgotten how to drive in it...again.. heh heh.
I jumped on the Moonlander and smiled all the way to work. (man I love that bike!)

It was best Monday morning commute I've had in a long while. Grabbed a pic for those of you who might have put the bike away for the season. This is what you missed today. (temp 22F)

Great Picture !

I've noticed a Moonlander parked outside of Moose and Sadie's a few times in the last month or so. Yours?
tjspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 05:13 PM   #8
modernjess
ride for a change
Thread Starter
 
modernjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Great Picture !

I've noticed a Moonlander parked outside of Moose and Sadie's a few times in the last month or so. Yours?
No, that's not mine. I am only a few blocks away but I haven't been there in a long time. The number of Fat bikes around here is really growing. They are more versatile than they seem, and simply the most fun I've had on any bike since my '71 Schwinn Sting-ray. Totally addictive.
modernjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 07:26 PM   #9
EmeralDQueen
Senior Member
 
EmeralDQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Bikes: Iron Man
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful Picture and cool Fat bike
EmeralDQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 03:06 PM   #10
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
sting-rays were the balls!
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 06:37 PM   #11
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes... beautiful photo. How are the fatty tires in snow? Have you been through more than in this pic?
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:42 PM   #12
modernjess
ride for a change
Thread Starter
 
modernjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Yes... beautiful photo. How are the fatty tires in snow? Have you been through more than in this pic?
I just got the bike this summer and Monday was the first time it's touched snow so there's not much to report yet. I can say that the 2 inches of fluff was not even noticeable in terms of handling or speed. About all it did was quiet the "ruhrring" sound of the rolling tires on the asphalt. More reports as the year progresses. I'll be out in it and I've got 2 sets of rubber to snow test, the Big Fat Larry's and the Bud and Lou. C'mon Winter!
modernjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:52 PM   #13
teachme
Senior Member
 
teachme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nederland, Texas
Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool bike... It never snows down here!
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:59 PM   #14
JPinWI
Senior Member
 
JPinWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Wisconsin US
Bikes: Schwinn DBX, Trek 820
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice! Enjoy!
JPinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:06 PM   #15
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Nothing like seeing all that white stuff and rolling yourself a big fatty...

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:09 PM   #16
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
thats the coolest thing i have seen in my life we dont have bikes with tires like that down here .me wants
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:10 PM   #17
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernjess View Post
I just got the bike this summer and Monday was the first time it's touched snow so there's not much to report yet. I can say that the 2 inches of fluff was not even noticeable in terms of handling or speed. About all it did was quiet the "ruhrring" sound of the rolling tires on the asphalt. More reports as the year progresses. I'll be out in it and I've got 2 sets of rubber to snow test, the Big Fat Larry's and the Bud and Lou. C'mon Winter!
Have found the Pug to be great on snow and not as bad as some say on ice... am running the Large Marge on mine and might put in an order for some BFL's the next time we order parts for the shop.

12 psi seems to be the sweet spot for me to balance traction and handling... we got a foot of snow last week.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:20 PM   #18
gecho
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Bikes: 2009 Trek 520
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernjess View Post
I just got the bike this summer and Monday was the first time it's touched snow so there's not much to report yet. I can say that the 2 inches of fluff was not even noticeable in terms of handling or speed. About all it did was quiet the "ruhrring" sound of the rolling tires on the asphalt. More reports as the year progresses. I'll be out in it and I've got 2 sets of rubber to snow test, the Big Fat Larry's and the Bud and Lou. C'mon Winter!
The Larry on my Pugsley slips out a lot unless I run very low pressure on it. On ice and polished snow it's pretty sketchy even at 4-5 psi. At that low of pressure the bike has odd cornering characteristics when I encounter a stretch of bare pavement. The tire always wants to stay flat which keeps the bike from leaning in a corner giving this weird front tire pulling feel.

I have no idea when my studded tires will arrive so, I've been contemplating getting either a Nate or Bud for the front. The Bud is so much larger than a Nate the bike might look a bit odd. On mtbr I saw a Mukluk with, B & L and it looks awesome. If I went that route I'd probably have to give up on the idea of fenders.

edit: The type of snow probably affects handling a lot. So far I've only encountered fairly dry stuff. Moister snow should give extra grip.

Last edited by gecho; 11-15-12 at 02:25 PM.
gecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:24 PM   #19
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I went with minimal fenders (for now) as my Pug is going to see a lot of snow and trails... when it gets wet and / or icy I have my dedicated winter bike which is studded up and gets me from A to B faster on cleared roads.

If I get new tyres the old ones may get put in line to be studded for winter use.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:56 PM   #20
treadtread
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Nothing like seeing all that white stuff and rolling yourself a big fatty...

Shouldn't you be riding around in disguise?

Edited to add: Nice bike!
treadtread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 04:19 PM   #21
modernjess
ride for a change
Thread Starter
 
modernjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho View Post
The Larry on my Pugsley slips out a lot unless I run very low pressure on it. On ice and polished snow it's pretty sketchy even at 4-5 psi. At that low of pressure the bike has odd cornering characteristics when I encounter a stretch of bare pavement. The tire always wants to stay flat which keeps the bike from leaning in a corner giving this weird front tire pulling feel.
I know what you mean about how the steering feels at really low tire pressure. if I run the BFLs down below 7psi, you have to muscle it a bit to turn on asphalt. I'm a pretty big guy so my sweet spot is around 9-10 psi for off road, lots of grip, lots of float, steering is still responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho View Post
I have no idea when my studded tires will arrive so, I've been contemplating getting either a Nate or Bud for the front. The Bud is so much larger than a Nate the bike might look a bit odd. On mtbr I saw a Mukluk with, B & L and it looks awesome. If I went that route I'd probably have to give up on the idea of fenders.
As far as studded tires, I've seen the 45Nrth Dillingers in the shop and they are really light, about 300 grams lighter with studs than a stock BFL or a 120TPI Bud or Lou. Amazing. I have a studded tire cross check for really icy days, so for the Moonie I think it's going to be a Bud and Lou set up for me when the deep snow comes and for trail riding in the snow. Those tires are frighteningly big and the traction is just insane. The Bud will fit your pug if you have the Necro with the bigger fork or an after market fork but probably not the standard pug fork. The Nate is a great tire though.

For fenders, I picked up a set PDW Dave's Mud Shovels. Great design, and cheap, and Dave Gray is a really nice guy who has designed a lot of fat bike products. Tire choice makes no difference with them.
modernjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.