Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 11 of 163 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 4069
  1. #251
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,531
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same temperature as yesterday, similar clothes, but today I was chilled. Even my hands. I put out slightly less effort but not that much - it felt about 5° colder than the NWS showed. Can there be micro-pockets of cold air, along a creek perhaps, that are colder than the surrounding area?

  2. #252
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-Césaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turned around after 3.5 kms, at -32celcius my wheel bearings were squeaking like mad so I didn't want to get a mechanical problem at that temperature on a 27.2 kms commute. Still, 7 kms total at -32 celsius is a personal best.
    Originally Posted by Leebo
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!
    Tabarnac de vent!!!

  3. #253
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant ATX 760
    Posts
    929
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13ºF with headwind, news says windchill is 4º - not my coldest ride but it felt colder than it is because of humidity and I was about 5 min slower than usual. Forecast is for snow this afternoon so might be a fun ride home. I have to say, I might have bailed this morning if not for the accountability of this forum!
    I'm slow, go around

  4. #254
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-Césaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    I was about 5 min slower than usual.
    How long is your commute? 5 more minutes is not bad.
    In the summer my all time best is 53min. for my 27.2 kms one way ride but this monday my all time worst was 1h35 for the same ride, almost double my time.
    Originally Posted by Leebo
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!
    Tabarnac de vent!!!

  5. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    My Bikes
    Trek 8.3 DS, Trek Ion CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first commute this year. I have a short 3.5 mi each way. This is also my first winter where I am even had a bike to commute with. Man it was cold, 18º. I cannot imagine how some of you are doing colder. Glad I did rode today. I have been all down that I have not had a chance to ride and I realized that I just have to make it happen.

  6. #256
    Senior Member jrickards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sudbury, ON, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra
    Posts
    1,867
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    I turned around after 3.5 kms, at -32celcius my wheel bearings were squeaking like mad so I didn't want to get a mechanical problem at that temperature on a 27.2 kms commute. Still, 7 kms total at -32 celsius is a personal best.
    I don't know if my bike will fair any better but I'm going to try biking in tomorrow. It is only a 4km route so hopefully my bearings will survive the trip. It is forecast to be -30C between 6 and 7am, my commuting time, so let's see how it goes.

  7. #257
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-Césaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    I don't know if my bike will fair any better but I'm going to try biking in tomorrow. It is only a 4km route so hopefully my bearings will survive the trip. It is forecast to be -30C between 6 and 7am, my commuting time, so let's see how it goes.
    My winter bike is 22-23 year old mtb, monday morning at -20 my freehub froze so for the first time in 22-23 years I took it off, cleande and lubed it and it worked fine this morning. So i guess that for the first time in 22-23 years I'll have to clean and lub my wheel bearings...
    So if your bike is in better shape than mine you should be okay.
    Originally Posted by Leebo
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!
    Tabarnac de vent!!!

  8. #258
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant ATX 760
    Posts
    929
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    How long is your commute? 5 more minutes is not bad.
    In the summer my all time best is 53min. for my 27.2 kms one way ride but this monday my all time worst was 1h35 for the same ride, almost double my time.
    a shade over 11 miles (17.7028km, thank you google conversion) and usually takes me 55 mins. I recently built a 'winter' bike (old hybrid) and am surprised that I was immediately a bit slower. I didn't think going from 23 to 38 tires would make a difference but apparently it does. Add to that the cold and today it took me over an hour. Truth is, I'm not in any hurry to get to work so it's fine with me!
    I'm slow, go around

  9. #259
    cheese connoisseur Mumonkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    4,093
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today i did my coldest ride so far: 10F.
    Was cold but to be honest it wasnt much different from my previous low of 23F.

    Took the new "scenic" route i decided to start taking to work to add some more morning miles, now totaling 12

    pawls on the freewheel started to freeze a couple miles in, had to actively start coasting to keep it moving

    things i need to change:
    figure a way to get my glasses to stop fogging
    get a jacket that has pit zips
    warmer shoes and socks
    Last edited by Mumonkan; 01-23-13 at 11:19 AM.
    ride bikes, eat food. the circle of life.

  10. #260
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    14,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, looks like a "go" for my first commute in the better part of a year tomorrow. It's gonna be rough... low 50s....
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  11. #261
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back to back cold commutes, 10F this AM. I pulled out the Dachstein wool sweater and gloves. Did their job. Sometimes old school gear is the answer.

    Those to the north, hang in there.

  12. #262
    Senior Member EKW in DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion
    Posts
    2,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Well, looks like a "go" for my first commute in the better part of a year tomorrow. It's gonna be rough... low 50s....
    Glad you'll be back in the commuting saddle! Low 50s. Ha! That's a veritable sauna in my book. Chilly 15-19 degrees on the ride in this morning, Thankfully less windy than yesterday morning. Might get a dusting of snow overnight tonight. Could make for a more beautiful ride tomorrow...

  13. #263
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commute/training ride this morning.

    The good: hit my wattage targets.
    The bad: passed a guy on the trail who was walking along, muttering to himself, and carrying an aluminum baseball bat. (!)
    The ugly: a few blocks from my office I noticed a woman on a cruiser bike with the front fork installed backwards.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  14. #264
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,531
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Well, looks like a "go" for my first commute in the better part of a year tomorrow. It's gonna be rough... low 50s....
    I'll bet you'll find a way to tough it out somehow.

  15. #265
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful ride home from work this morning at 0615 on my new Soma. Checked the weather before I left and it was 36 out with a feels-like temp of 41, which was nice after a bit of a cold streak (for the PNW anyway) lately. I even took my gloves off the last 15 minutes or so.

    I didn't realize how much I liked riding before the sun comes up. This is my first year living somewhere that I will ride in January on a regular basis, and it was really nice and peaceful.

  16. #266
    Slob GrouchoWretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    My Bikes
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    Same temperature as yesterday, similar clothes, but today I was chilled. Even my hands. I put out slightly less effort but not that much - it felt about 5° colder than the NWS showed. Can there be micro-pockets of cold air, along a creek perhaps, that are colder than the surrounding area?
    YES. Definitely. Colder air pools down at the bottom of a creek channel, canyon, or similar, while the warmer air rises out. That's why you always camp up the canyon. It can be 10 or 15F colder at the bottom.
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3-speed
    2012 GT Zum City

  17. #267
    Slob GrouchoWretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    My Bikes
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night, I was cycling home in the dark, on a MUP running along a bald ridge, and I thought I heard a kid or woman screaming. Then I heard it a few more times and thought, that was a pig of some sort. Pretty soon, there was a commotion in the weeds off to my left, and about 15 hogs, maybe javelinas, burst out of the brush and sprinted across the path right in front of me. That was pretty freaky.
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3-speed
    2012 GT Zum City

  18. #268
    Slob GrouchoWretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    My Bikes
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect they were feral hogs.
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3-speed
    2012 GT Zum City

  19. #269
    cheese connoisseur Mumonkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    4,093
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoWretch View Post
    YES. Definitely. Colder air pools down at the bottom of a creek channel, canyon, or similar, while the warmer air rises out. That's why you always camp up the canyon. It can be 10 or 15F colder at the bottom.
    surrounding most bodies of water (barring hotsprings) the air will be noticeably colder
    my commute includes crossing an overpass type bridge that goes over a big inlet in the middle of a marsh

    its the best part of the ride in the summer, winter not so much
    ride bikes, eat food. the circle of life.

  20. #270
    Senior Member jrickards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sudbury, ON, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra
    Posts
    1,867
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to tough it out and ride in on this cold morning. With the exception of yesterday, I don't think I'll see a colder day this winter but who knows. It was -29C (-20F) with a wind chill of -40C/F, however, it was a nice ride in. Obviously, I was dressed for it, including ski goggles. My mitted hands were a bit cold at first but the excercise warmed them up, but my toes got cold by the end of the ride. I was wearing light-weight winter/hiking boots with thick wool socks but riding (probably only 15km/h, 10mph) into the wind probably forced the cold air into the boots to my toes. I have better boots that I'll wear next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #271
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,455
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great ride this morning with a tailwind much of the way. Even though temps were in the low 30s, it felt warm compared to yesterday's low of 18 F during my morning commute. Weird weather today as it's actually supposed to be colder during the afternoon compared to morning, with a cold front coming through during the day -- which means that I'll have a stiff, cold headwind on the way home. Won't be able to ride again until next Monday as I'm flying across the country tomorrow to attend a funeral for my brother. Sad.

  22. #272
    Senior Member jrickards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sudbury, ON, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra
    Posts
    1,867
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    Won't be able to ride again until next Monday as I'm flying across the country tomorrow to attend a funeral for my brother. Sad.
    My sincere condolences for your loss.

  23. #273
    cheese connoisseur Mumonkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    4,093
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 F today, iceicles on my eyelashes and frozen fingers

    took a slightly more scenic route today and i think ill keep going that way

    lots of idiot drivers out today too, very annoying
    ride bikes, eat food. the circle of life.

  24. #274
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant ATX 760
    Posts
    929
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    Great ride this morning with a tailwind much of the way. Even though temps were in the low 30s, it felt warm compared to yesterday's low of 18 F during my morning commute. Weird weather today as it's actually supposed to be colder during the afternoon compared to morning, with a cold front coming through during the day -- which means that I'll have a stiff, cold headwind on the way home. Won't be able to ride again until next Monday as I'm flying across the country tomorrow to attend a funeral for my brother. Sad.
    so sorry for your loss
    I'm slow, go around

  25. #275
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-Césaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    I decided to tough it out and ride in on this cold morning. With the exception of yesterday, I don't think I'll see a colder day this winter but who knows. It was -29C (-20F) with a wind chill of -40C/F, however, it was a nice ride in. Obviously, I was dressed for it, including ski goggles. My mitted hands were a bit cold at first but the excercise warmed them up, but my toes got cold by the end of the ride. I was wearing light-weight winter/hiking boots with thick wool socks but riding (probably only 15km/h, 10mph) into the wind probably forced the cold air into the boots to my toes. I have better boots that I'll wear next time.
    You're the better man! I felt and acted like a lazy bastard this morning and took the van even if it's only -22 celcius here in southern Québec (always nice to fit the word 'south' or 'southern' with any part of Canada in the same phrase).

    Hats off.
    Originally Posted by Leebo
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!
    Tabarnac de vent!!!

Page 11 of 163 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •