Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163 LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4069
  1. #4026
    Senior Member scoatw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    central ohio
    My Bikes
    96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner
    Posts
    1,277
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    37°f and sprinkles this morning. the aftn was great. 33f. traffic was backed up everywhere. the nice part, it had no effect on my commute. I love it when that happens.

  2. #4027
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,086
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last commute of the year, so it was a little bittersweet. About 0°F on the way home, and I had a novel issue: ice kept forming on my eyelashes, occasionally interfering with my view.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  3. #4028
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5,061
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went in to work for 1/2 hr today. Nice to ride in the daylight for a change. Snow's all gone and sun was out (9C). Pretty nice ride for the end of Dec.

  4. #4029
    Senior Member Mr. Hairy Legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delta, B.C.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.5C, Norco Threshold A3, Trek 4300, Carrera Combat
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode today. The snow is a distant memory, and it was quite warm.

    [Edit] Jusy noticed the guy above me said the exact same thing
    Last edited by Mr. Hairy Legs; 12-23-13 at 07:32 PM.

  5. #4030
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    5,916
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traffic was light this morning which doesn't surprise me, but the motorists seemed pretty laid back which does surprise me. Usually this time of year they're tense and aggressive but this season, not so. Maybe they feel pity for the cyclist out in the rain and sub-freezing mornings (seems fair, since I pity them). But whatever it is, I'm happy for it.

    My beloved Greenway is under about three feet of water from the heavy rains, but it should drain off by next week. I think I'll have two more commutes this year and it's supposed to warm up to short sleeve weather - something to look forward to.

  6. #4031
    Bicycle Commuter Bluish Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2°F and a mild tailwind. Kind of a nice ride, although my feet were a little cold by the end.

    I'm really happy with the anti-fog performance of my Visorgogs in this cold weather. A big "thank you" to whoever suggested them for cold weather bicycling on this forum sometime last year.

  7. #4032
    Senior Member JReade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first half of the commute was fantastic. I left late, but traffic was really light all the way, which was great. Cold front coming through so we will get temps dropping rapidly this evening, so ti got very very windy. North to south winds, and I go east to west... over the water was really unnerving, so I just went really slow and was ready to get on the brakes.
    Jesse

  8. #4033
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock
    Posts
    1,000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more commuting til Jan 2nd and presumably the next thread! :-D

  9. #4034
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant Sedona
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluish Green View Post
    2°F and a mild tailwind. Kind of a nice ride, although my feet were a little cold by the end.

    I'm really happy with the anti-fog performance of my Visorgogs in this cold weather. A big "thank you" to whoever suggested them for cold weather bicycling on this forum sometime last year.
    Ooh, those are way cool! Do you wear glasses underneath (if not, would they fit)?
    I'm slow, go around

  10. #4035
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All dressed and ready to commute with my son to Christmas brunch. Pretty nice out. You all enjoy your day!
    “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.”
    ― George Orwell

  11. #4036
    Bicycle Commuter Bluish Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    Ooh, those are way cool! Do you wear glasses underneath (if not, would they fit)?
    No, I don't wear eyeglasses underneath. They are designed to fit over eyeglasses, though. I just tried them on over my clear safety glasses, and they fit fine.

    The Visorgogs are pretty cool. They have a built-in blue visor that actually functions pretty well as a sunblock for low sun (like a baseball cap's brim). They block the wind great, and they have two vents on top of the visor part that allow enough air flow to defog the goggles pretty effectively in the bitter cold.

    They're cheap too, like $6. I put on my balaclava first, then my bike helmet, then the visorgogs go on last (they use an elastic strap).

    The biggest negative is that there isn't any way to use my take-a-look mirror with them. Plus they would probably not be great for warm weather. For cold weather bicycling, though, they are great.

    They are actually designed for science lab technicians and are used to guard against chemical splatters, etc. But I've seen them mentioned on Ice Biking websites, and they have this cool secondary use as eye protection for cycling in the bitter cold. Get a pair and try them, they work well.

  12. #4037
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant Sedona
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluish Green View Post
    No, I don't wear eyeglasses underneath. They are designed to fit over eyeglasses, though. I just tried them on over my clear safety glasses, and they fit fine.

    The Visorgogs are pretty cool. They have a built-in blue visor that actually functions pretty well as a sunblock for low sun (like a baseball cap's brim). They block the wind great, and they have two vents on top of the visor part that allow enough air flow to defog the goggles pretty effectively in the bitter cold.

    They're cheap too, like $6. I put on my balaclava first, then my bike helmet, then the visorgogs go on last (they use an elastic strap).

    The biggest negative is that there isn't any way to use my take-a-look mirror with them. Plus they would probably not be great for warm weather. For cold weather bicycling, though, they are great.

    They are actually designed for science lab technicians and are used to guard against chemical splatters, etc. But I've seen them mentioned on Ice Biking websites, and they have this cool secondary use as eye protection for cycling in the bitter cold. Get a pair and try them, they work well.
    Already ordered a pair from Amazon! I currently use regular hardware store safety glasses for cold weather but these look great. BTW, a lot of the feedback comments are from people who use them for cold weather biking! Thanks!!
    I'm slow, go around

  13. #4038
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,043
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bed to chair, via coffee pot,? not bad ..

  14. #4039
    Senior Member mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    My Bikes
    Sleeper
    Posts
    691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew it would be cold as soon as I saw there were no clouds. Close to 33f when I left the house. I rode past a couple people scraping the ice from their windshields and felt a little sorry for them. Once I got to my store, one of the supertroopers thought I was a bum and tried to tell me to leave. It wasn't until I put my key in the door that he believed me. I can see how he mistook me. Don't all bums wear neon orange jackets and tights?
    Brilliant!

  15. #4040
    Senior Member Ky_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice morning ride to work with temps just above freezing. Traffic was light and no school buses. I noticed my rear blinker is getting dim. Time for some new batteries. Parking lot at work was almost empty. Not many here today.

  16. #4041
    Senior Member mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    My Bikes
    Sleeper
    Posts
    691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride today. I left an hour later since I started work an hour later and noticed a big difference in traffic coming into town. I do need to find a way to keep my toes warm though; by the time I get to work, they're freezing!
    Brilliant!

  17. #4042
    Senior Member trailmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    My Bikes
    Cannondale:83 ST500, 85 ST500, 85 SR300, 86 SR500, 87 SR400, 87 ST400, 88 ST400x2, 89 ST400, 90 ST400, 90 SM700, 92 M700, 93 T700, 95 F200, 96 M200se, 03 F3000, Raleigh: 86 Technium 460, Schwinn: 87 Prologue, Trek 86 300, 94 370
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy ride this morning, mid 30s and light traffic. I love the times when school busses are not running and all the college kids have gone home for break, the difference in traffic density is amazing.

  18. #4043
    Senior Member JReade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    Easy ride this morning, mid 30s and light traffic. I love the times when school busses are not running and all the college kids have gone home for break, the difference in traffic density is amazing.
    I don't even have that much of a college scene to contend with, but this week has been a dream... no school traffic, lots of people off work so the cars are so light.
    Jesse

  19. #4044
    tougher than a boiled owl droy45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rocky Coast of Maine
    My Bikes
    Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since the 23rd its been a nightmare here. Lost power due to ice storm and spent the whole week tending a portable generator just to keep the house from freezing and we stayed comfortable for the 5 day duration. Just back to normal today. Have not had the bike out in over a week and more bad weather is predicted for early next week then another arctic blast deep freeze. Most of December was horrible and hoping to start the new year off better. My next attempt at a bike ride will be after New Years day as soon as its above 0, and not snowing. Happy New Year to everyone!!
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

  20. #4045
    Senior Member mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    My Bikes
    Sleeper
    Posts
    691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to working normal hours on Sundays now that the holidays are over for the retail world and it was nice to ride in during the daylight. I was cruising nicely when I hear a op! Pssssshhhh: in the time it took me to stop, my rear tire was completely flat. I've never had a tire deflate so fast. Initially I thought I broke a valve off somehow, but quickly found a BB sized hole in the tire and tube. While changing the tire, my tire lever broke and my tube had practically fused to the tire. What luck... Got it changed and back on the road and still made it to work early. Now I get new tires :-D

  21. #4046
    Senior Member Big Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    My Bikes
    Not a Kilo TT
    Posts
    310
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is that we had a "warm" day in Kansas City on Saturday to melt the ice and snow that has been on the ground for the past week. Now, it's just cold. Forecast is for 10 degrees with a north wind on Monday morning. I'm desperate to get back on the bike, but I dunno if I'll do it.

  22. #4047
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First ride in after the holiday break...beautiful morning after a very rainy Sunday here in DC. Streets were eerily quiet.

    I was a discombobulated mess, forgetting my routine for packing after only a week!

  23. #4048
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,150
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back to work after a long holiday break with my second-to-last commute of the year. Grabbed the wrong bike with no fenders as I figured the roads would be dry this morning, but I was way off on that account. We got 2" of rain yesterday but it cleared off mid-afternoon and I thought that would allow enough time for the rain to dry off. Fortunately my bike was already pretty dirty so I didn't mess it up more than it already was. My pace was really off this morning and it was my slowest commute in a long time.

  24. #4049
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ride in this morning.
    New bike is on the USPS truck, so I'm possibly riding home if I can get it set up on my lunch break

  25. #4050
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-Césaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,605
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droy45 View Post
    Ever since the 23rd its been a nightmare here. Lost power due to ice storm and spent the whole week tending a portable generator just to keep the house from freezing and we stayed comfortable for the 5 day duration. Just back to normal today. Have not had the bike out in over a week and more bad weather is predicted for early next week then another arctic blast deep freeze. Most of December was horrible and hoping to start the new year off better. My next attempt at a bike ride will be after New Years day as soon as its above 0, and not snowing. Happy New Year to everyone!!
    Quite the same here but we didn't lose electrical power in my area. Still too much ice for a bike commute.

    My last ride of 2013 as took place on the 17th of december, hoping 2014 will be good for me and my bike

    Happy new year to all of you. It's a pleasure to read from all of you every morning.
    Originally Posted by Leebo

    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •