New Bike make a difference?
Just need some suggestions, I have been cycling to work for 3 years now, 12 miles a day, I have a mountain bike alluminum frame, 24 speed, and 26" by 1.5 marathon tires, So far it has been good to me, problem now is, my work is moving probably another 2-3 miles, so it is going to obviously add time to my daily routine, also more hills likely to be involved.
My question is:
I have been considering replacing my bike for a hybrid, I don't know if the different wheel size and larger frame would make my trip less strenuous, or would I not see any real difference in performance? I haven't to considered a road bike as I am not too keen on the handlebars position, and also the gearing I think would not help going up hills, also while my trip is 80% road, the other 20% is on sidewalk due to the road being dangerously busy.
I do love my bike, but if it is going to be worth changing then that is what I would do, I have never ridden a hybrid, so what I know about them is limited, and I don't want to waste money on something that is going to be more or less the same as what I have.
Any comments appreciated guys.