Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    the commutor / tourer mcavana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    jacksonville fl
    My Bikes
    trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This light is new around here anyways... http://www.serfas.com/lights/TL-1000.html and is just incredibly bright. It is litteraly blinding in daylight if you look directly at it from a few feet away. because of the clear casing, it is a highly visable light from the sides as well. It is just an incredibly bright light... and because they are led's, they shoot out a verry larrow, intense beam. so, they would only really be almost blinding to a car if it were directly behind you... this is a good thing.... cars passing on the left, giving you a decent amount of room would not really experience the direct beam. so in other words.... it is verry verry visable from any angle from behind the bike, but the only people it would "jump out and bite" are the people that are directly behind you, about to run you over.... i sound like an idiot here.. you just need to see the dam thing for yourself! the pictures below show it from the side, from the back, and it shining on the wall no less than 10 feet away from the bike... notice how tight the beam is? now do you understand what i mean? the picture looking directly at it... you can't even begin to see my bike it is so blinding! sorry if i sound like a ****** here... i am just in heaven. after wasting big time money trying many different rear lights... my search is over. I will be seen.... yes, I will be seen....
    Last edited by mcavana; 02-12-05 at 10:07 PM.

  2. #2
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, now you just have to worry about side visibility.
    The cateye with the 2 side facing LED's give you more coverage.

  3. #3
    the commutor / tourer mcavana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    jacksonville fl
    My Bikes
    trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Great, now you just have to worry about side visibility.
    The cateye with the 2 side facing LED's give you more coverage.
    I expected this reply.... it is totally sufficient as a side light as well. My camera just can' take a good picture of it!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the mounting system like? I had a Trek "Disco Tech" that lit up in every direction, just like a "Disco Tech", but the plastic clamp, plastic screw, and plastic neck were all too flimsy to hold the light securely in place over rough streets.

    So, is the mounting system on your new light doing a good job of keeping the light where you put it?

  5. #5
    vegan powered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that same light but under the brand name viewpoint and mine is white leds. I use it for my headlight. It does an alright job.

  6. #6
    the commutor / tourer mcavana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    jacksonville fl
    My Bikes
    trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
    What is the mounting system like? I had a Trek "Disco Tech" that lit up in every direction, just like a "Disco Tech", but the plastic clamp, plastic screw, and plastic neck were all too flimsy to hold the light securely in place over rough streets.

    So, is the mounting system on your new light doing a good job of keeping the light where you put it?
    here is a picture of the mount... again, my camera is pissing me off! it is plastic, but the bolt and nut are metal. the clip seems to work fine.

  7. #7
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcavana
    here is a picture of the mount... again, my camera is pissing me off! it is plastic, but the bolt and nut are metal. the clip seems to work fine.
    Hehe in low light you gotta use a tripod, otherwise the shutter's too slow, try increasing your iso.

  8. #8
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
    What is the mounting system like? I had a Trek "Disco Tech" that lit up in every direction, just like a "Disco Tech", but the plastic clamp, plastic screw, and plastic neck were all too flimsy to hold the light securely in place over rough streets.

    So, is the mounting system on your new light doing a good job of keeping the light where you put it?
    My gf's hybrid didn't have room on the seatpost for the light so I just ziptied the whole light mounting mechanism and light to the back of her seat. Works wonders.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    portland or
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    three batteries would give you a pretty bright light if it is running 4.5v but it still uses AAA cells and yes you can see it from the side but LEDS are not nearly as bright viewed that way. for the price It is pretty much the sme cost as the new cateye.

  10. #10
    Know Your Turf bluejack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you seen tireflys? A guy in my office building has them. I only ever see his bike locked up, so I thought they were some sort of tire-pressure monitor: they are sci-fi looking, bulbous blue doohickies that screw onto the valve of the tire tube -- but I asked him about it and he showed me how they work. They are motion sensitive, so when you start riding, they light up. Here's an image from the manufacturer. I don't have them, but I am very tempted.

  11. #11
    vegan powered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea those tire flys look neat. I have a feeling I would get made fun of since people think those things are for little kids and their bikes.

  12. #12
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,874
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great light, sold under many names. Performance calls it the "Flare" Nashbar, something else. S-sun is the maker and it is sold as that in the U.K.. It is visible from the side, however if you want to see side by side comparisons from the side against the new cat eye TL LD 1000 go here..(to post # 31)

    cateye's new rear taillight review.

    The cat eye is much brighter directly from the side, but not quite as good directly from behind. Every light has it's good and bad points. After seeing my comparison photos one guy did buy both lights and now has an unbeatable combination on his bike.
    Your light is excellent compared to anything, but having both is safer when a car is approaching from the side. This does not reduce the value of your light in any way.

    edit post: try it with lithium batteries, it's amazing.
    Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-13-05 at 12:21 PM. Reason: incomplete

  13. #13
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    Your light is excellent compared to anything, but having both is safer when a car is approaching from the side. This does not reduce the value of your light in any way.
    I think the distinction of the brightest rear lights belong to RingO. He had 3 NR tail lights on his bike plus 2 HID's up front for riding in brooklyn. Everyonce in a while on my way home, I'll see this mysterious glow circling prospect park. I know it's probably a car but in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but think it's either a UFO or RingO.

  14. #14
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,874
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    I think the distinction of the brightest rear lights belong to RingO. He had 3 NR tail lights on his bike plus 2 HID's up front for riding in brooklyn. Everyonce in a while on my way home, I'll see this mysterious glow circling prospect park. I know it's probably a car but in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but think it's either a UFO or RingO.
    Never got a photo? Do you still see him?

  15. #15
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen him before in real life. But here's his post: The Ultimate Bike Light Setup, with pics!
    The pictures are kind of creepy.

    Two 10 watt halogen NR systems. Two NR HID's.


    Three NR taillights.


    And... what you'll see when he's approaching from the opposite side of the road. About 100 watts of light equiv.


    You see what happens when you have people with too much time and money on their hands?

  16. #16
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,874
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do see your reference to a UFO.


    Have you seen the Supernova 2 x 10 watt HID bulbs side by side? They make a few interesting lights.

    https://gemulon.safe-order.de/nova-f...ova_p99-d.html
    Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-13-05 at 01:00 PM. Reason: incomplete

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    My Bikes
    Mountain Bike rebuilt for commuting
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejack
    Have any of you seen tireflys? A guy in my office building has them. I only ever see his bike locked up, so I thought they were some sort of tire-pressure monitor: they are sci-fi looking, bulbous blue doohickies that screw onto the valve of the tire tube -- but I asked him about it and he showed me how they work. They are motion sensitive, so when you start riding, they light up. Here's an image from the manufacturer. I don't have them, but I am very tempted.
    I have a set of them. While they're good for what they are, I think that picture has been a little "touched up". I got the red ones (only colour available), when they flick on they're on for *maybe* a tenth of a second. They're only really any good when it's pitch dark, otherwise they're just not visible. My real problems with them are (a) they're very tight, so if you have a flat they can be a pain to get off, and (b) they're flimsy - I picked mine up in September and the plastic has all cracked and they're on the verge of falling apart (I've taken the one on the front off because it just doesn't look like it's got much longer to live). I suppose for CDN$7.50 (at http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1108403488507) I can't really complain, but to be honest I think they're something that's best off on a lightly ridden kid's bike as a safety measure.

    For an adult commuter, I think an equivalent or better safety level can be obtained by using a tyre with a reflective sidewall. I have a shortcut I sometimes take along a fire trail that has a crossing across a main road; since putting on the studded tyres with reflective sidewalls I've had motorists on several occasions slam on their brakes and skid to a halt before I even have a chance to finish dismounting and push the crosswalk button, which never happened before.

    In summary: worth trying, but make sure you have tube caps with you in case they disintegrate. Don't depend on them as a safety measure.
    Last edited by sbromwich; 02-14-05 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Oops, typo fixed on the URL

  18. #18
    Senior Member kb0tnv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    My Bikes
    Kona Tiki
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich
    I have a set of them. While they're good for what they are, I think that picture has been a little "touched up". I got the red ones (only colour available), when they flick on they're on for *maybe* a tenth of a second. They're only really any good when it's pitch dark, otherwise they're just not visible. My real problems with them are (a) they're very tight, so if you have a flat they can be a pain to get off, and (b) they're flimsy - I picked mine up in September and the plastic has all cracked and they're on the verge of falling apart (I've taken the one on the front off because it just doesn't look like it's got much longer to live). I suppose for CDN$7.50 (at http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1108403488507) I can't really complain, but to be honest I think they're something that's best off on a lightly ridden kid's bike as a safety measure.

    For an adult commuter, I think an equivalent or better safety level can be obtained by using a tyre with a reflective sidewall. I have a shortcut I sometimes take along a fire trail that has a crossing across a main road; since putting on the studded tyres with reflective sidewalls I've had motorists on several occasions slam on their brakes and skid to a halt before I even have a chance to finish dismounting and push the crosswalk button, which never happened before.

    In summary: worth trying, but make sure you have tube caps with you in case they disintegrate. Don't depend on them as a safety measure.
    Don't ride them in the rain...They don't really handle moisture very well at all. I had a set that got moisture in them and I pretty much have shot the works. Oh well.
    "Work to Eat, Eat to Live, Live to Bike, Bike to Work"

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    My Bikes
    Mountain Bike rebuilt for commuting
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0tnv
    Don't ride them in the rain...They don't really handle moisture very well at all. I had a set that got moisture in them and I pretty much have shot the works. Oh well.
    I didn't have that problem with mine, I rode them all autumn in the wet in Nova Scotia without a problem. Did the LED completely fail, or did it crack too?

    Thinking further, it may be a combination of the salt and -15C to -20C temperatures that made the plastic brittle and crack. The housing of the LED is fine, it's the cap that attachs to the valve stem that's cracked, and also the LED housing thread where it screws onto the cap - basically the thinnest parts of the device.

    I'm still running the one that's still functional, I'm just going to leave it on there till it disintegrates. I could probably keep it together with some tape or something but it's just not worth the hassle.

  20. #20
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,874
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich
    I didn't have that problem with mine, I rode them all autumn in the wet in Nova Scotia without a problem. Did the LED completely fail, or did it crack too?

    Thinking further, it may be a combination of the salt and -15C to -20C temperatures that made the plastic brittle and crack. The housing of the LED is fine, it's the cap that attachs to the valve stem that's cracked, and also the LED housing thread where it screws onto the cap - basically the thinnest parts of the device.

    I'm still running the one that's still functional, I'm just going to leave it on there till it disintegrates. I could probably keep it together with some tape or something but it's just not worth the hassle.
    Plain valve caps will crack when overtightened. Maybe that's it. It's not hard to do.

  21. #21
    Si Senior dbg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naperville, Illinois
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Posts
    2,443
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich
    I didn't have that problem with mine, I rode them all autumn in the wet in Nova Scotia without a problem. Did the LED completely fail, or did it crack too?

    Thinking further, it may be a combination of the salt and -15C to -20C temperatures that made the plastic brittle and crack. The housing of the LED is fine, it's the cap that attachs to the valve stem that's cracked, and also the LED housing thread where it screws onto the cap - basically the thinnest parts of the device.

    I'm still running the one that's still functional, I'm just going to leave it on there till it disintegrates. I could probably keep it together with some tape or something but it's just not worth the hassle.
    They're fine in the rain. I have gone thru lots and never lost one to moisture or water damage. I used to put them on my kids' bikes. Problem is -- from directly behind you can's see them.

    I cut apart an old tube leaving just the section with the valve stem. Then slipped it over the seat tube and screwed on the tirefly. But they weren't sensitive enough. You had to hit vicious bumps to light them. So I took them apart and modified the sensitivity so they would fire at the slightest touch.

    Now all my kids bikes have multiple rear facing tireflys that start flashing at the slightest movement. The pictures below show (1) two on the seatpost of my commuter bike, and (2) the inner workings of them --with a clue as to how I increased their sensitivity.

    I wrote up a document on how to modify them. email me if your interested in it. (dbg@att.net)

  22. #22
    Know Your Turf bluejack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich
    In summary: worth trying, but make sure you have tube caps with you in case they disintegrate. Don't depend on them as a safety measure.
    Thanks for that product review of the tirefly's. Sounds like they are better in concept than in application. I'll give it a miss.


    Quote Originally Posted by dbg
    I have gone thru lots and never lost one to moisture or water damage. I used to put them on my kids' bikes. Problem is -- from directly behind you can's see them.
    Well, the point would be for side visibility-- I wouldn't expect them to replace front & rear lights. But just the fact that you have gone through lots suggests it's just another piece of junk I probably don't need on my bike. If I do though, I'll definitely check out your documents on them: sounds like you've really put some time into them!
    Last edited by bluejack; 02-15-05 at 10:34 AM.

  23. #23
    RPM: 85. MPH: varies. edtrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For night visibility in the rear I use a Real-Lite and a xenon flasher, in the front I use a 5watt and 10watt VistaLite with a xenon flasher, and a helmet light-- here's a link with photos:

    http://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bi...cle-riding.cfm

    Cheers, Ed

  24. #24
    Very Senior Member MikeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Central Pa
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Hehe in low light you gotta use a tripod, otherwise the shutter's too slow, try increasing your iso.
    That's not it. Look at the pick again. The shelf in the background is clearer. It's the focus. Perhaps that camera does not focus that closely.
    It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.

  25. #25
    No pain, no gain. PainTrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California's Gold That's Amazing!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Windsor Fens
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a yellow set that have served me well through a wet California winter.

    They came with a spare set of batteries, three each. I have yet to replace the spares, but I suspect it will be just as cheap to buy new 'Flys as six button batteries.

    Put me in the 'happy with Tireflys' camp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •