I just got a used 2011 Trek Presidio to use as a commuter bike. I put on 700c x 25 bontrager sport tires, but beyond that, it's pretty naked. I want help with what kind of accessories I should use for my commute. Give me all of your advice, please! I'm a brand new commuter.
1. FLAT KIT: On my road bike (2012 Felt ZW-95), I have a saddle wedge pack with tire levers, a patch kit, extra tube, 2 CO2 cannisters and a regulator. I was thinking of getting the same thing but also maybe putting a multitool in there?
2. PUMP: I have a Road Morph pump and was thinking of attaching it to my frame (in lieu of a second water bottle holder). What do you think? Is it necessary/useful? Part of me wonders if it's a waste of a second water bottle rack. I'm planning on storing my bike inside, so I don't have to worry about getting my accessories stolen.
3. RACK/PANNIERS: I think I want to have a rack and panniers, so I can put my stuff away while I ride. I'm an artist, so I don't need that much stuff -- just my wallet, phone, and some notebooks and pens. But I do want the option of more storage.
4. LIGHTS: Any suggestions?
5. FINGER BRAKES: I LOVE the finger brakes on my Felt, and thought of adding them to my commuter bike. I feel like it will help me sit up straighter, given that my drop bars put me kind of low to the ground.
6. TOE CLIPS: This is a big concern for me. I'm pretty sure I don't want to use clipless pedals and shoes because a) they're really expensive, and b) I want to be able to hop on my bike and go — not have to worry about using special shoes. I really like the toe clips on my Felt — I like having somewhat of an upstroke when I pedal. Any suggestions on toe clips? Or thoughts on why I should use clipless pedals?
And if you have an opinion on anything else you think would be good to have on my bike as a commuter, I'd love to hear it.