Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   What's the best head light for $20? (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/896328-whats-best-head-light-20-a.html)

Distinguished 06-17-13 06:15 PM

What's the best head light for $20?
 
I'm just looking for the best inexpensive headlight/mount to light my night paths at least 10-20 feet so I don't hit a pothole & die. Something that looks sleek and doesn't weigh more than a pound would be ideal (especially considering I still need to put fenders on the bike). Thanks!

*Just a little clarification: when I say headlight, I mean the one put on the handlebars, not one that straps to my face x:

mattgmann 06-17-13 06:32 PM

Best you can do for close to $20 is a cree t6 bulb lamp from amazon/ebay. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Bicycle-H...cree+headlight

Distinguished 06-17-13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattgmann (Post 15753494)
Best you can do for close to $20 is a cree t6 bulb lamp from amazon/ebay. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Bicycle-H...cree+headlight

Sorry about that, I meant a headlight to strap to the bike's handlebars.

CACycling 06-17-13 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distinguished (Post 15753513)
Sorry about that, I meant a headlight to strap to the bike's handlebars.

That's what he linked. It comes with a head strap but is equally at home on the bars.

Distinguished 06-17-13 06:48 PM

Oh, I can't seem to find the gear to strap it on to the bars in the description or pictures, that's incredibly practical though.

Very nice brightness for the money too, only thing is, I think I'd prefer a battery powered light, since I can just replace with spares when needed as opposed to charging over & over until the light works for less and less time. l:

mattgmann 06-17-13 08:24 PM

There aren't really any decent headlights I know of for more than blinking that use AA or AAA batteries. Looking at the bottom end of the pricing bracket, the options for lights that will actually illuminate a path are very limited.

Here's another version of the same light. It has better pictures of all the kit that's included.
http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-...ree+bike+light

I'll add that the advertised 1200 lumens is bogus. This is more comparable to 200-300 lumen lights. That is still quite a bit of output however.

CACycling 06-18-13 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distinguished (Post 15753543)
Oh, I can't seem to find the gear to strap it on to the bars in the description or pictures, that's incredibly practical though.

Very nice brightness for the money too, only thing is, I think I'd prefer a battery powered light, since I can just replace with spares when needed as opposed to charging over & over until the light works for less and less time. l:

Mounting to the handlebars is the same as mounting to the headband. That is what the O-rings are for.

If you want to go with AA or AAA, keep cost low and light level fairly high, your best bet is a LED flashlight and Two Fish type mount. I use the AAA lights from Costco (three pack for around $20) and order the mounts from eBay or Deal Extreme (like this: http://dx.com/p/universal-adjustable...t=1&s=&u=31871 ). I use this set up on my non-commuting bikes. I go with rechargeable batteries and carry disposables for backups.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.