I'll be moving to Seattle in the fall, and I'm trying to figure out what commuter bike to get or, alternatively, where to go to look for a commuter bike once I get there. I have a nice road bike, but I'll save that for the longer recreational rides. I also have a five speed 70's Schwinn Collegiate, but I'm concerned that it's going to be too heavy with too little gears for the hills in Seattle. I do looooove vintage bikes, so feel free to suggest something along the old steel lines too (mmmmm Peugeot Mixte... want).
The factors for me are:
* The ability to have racks and fenders is a must
* I'm a 5'2" female so I need something smaller
* I love old steel frames, but I'd need one that's not too heavy
* I'm pretty handy so I can do a good bit of the maintenance myself
* I prefer going faster - I would typically shy away from a mountain bike for commuting purposes
Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm super excited about the move and hope that once I get there I can be as car free as possible!