Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Pictures of your commute itself, not necessarily the bike. (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/900729-pictures-your-commute-itself-not-necessarily-bike.html)

Litespeedlouie 10-31-13 07:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Goats. Rent a ruminant was hired to clear some brambles under Interstate 5 on my commute. Kinda smells like a barnyard now.

PatrickGSR94 10-31-13 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic Zero (Post 16208879)
These aren't like the big multi-lane ones, these are supposed to be traffic calming devices and have been installed on narrow single family home streets with car parking on each side. They fill up the intersection, forcing cars to (usually) slow down somewhat to make their way around them. Of course, it is legal to go either way around them and the ones I most encounter are on a street that parallels an arterial that has several traffic lights on it, so despite being the designated bike route, there are always some cars speeding down it trying to avoid the lights and going around the circles whichever direction they please!

WHAT?!?!? How can that be legal?? I have never heard of such a thing and in fact I feel like that's a disaster waiting to happen!

niuoka 11-02-13 06:57 PM

sorry error with security

cccorlew 11-02-13 08:53 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8...2c600118_z.jpg
canal trail, today just on a ride but my daily commute all the same by ccorlew, on Flickr

The hell that is Antioch CA is somewhat softened by the morning light.

Rick@OCRR 11-04-13 09:07 AM

10 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349174http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349175http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349176http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349177http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349178http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349179http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349180http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349181http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349183http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349184Welcome to Los Angeles, or actually La Mirada, Norwalk
Rick / OCRR

anthonybkny 11-06-13 01:07 PM

building up speed for the climb (manhattan bridge, brooklyn side)
http://oi39.tinypic.com/15yt7di.jpg

tarwheel 11-08-13 01:30 PM

My vacation "commute" route
 
5 Attachment(s)
My usual commute is pretty boring, mainly on surburban streets. However, I'm taking a week off this week and "commuting" daily on the Neuse River Trail, a new multi-use path that extends from Falls Lake dam around Raleigh to Clayton, NC. The trail is well paved and very scenic with numerous bridges and boardwalks over the river and nearby wetlands. I've ridden on the trail every day so far this week, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for my regular commute to work because it would increase the distance from about 30 to 60 miles.

opie 12-19-13 12:10 PM

I'll play...

Starts with Horse Park

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...titled-2-M.jpg

Then to golf course

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...titled-4-M.jpg

past the big houses I can't afford

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...titled-5-M.jpg

getting into town

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...titled-8-M.jpg

riding down peachtree

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...itled-12-M.jpg

Past the burned down bike shop :'( (theyr'e rebuilding)

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...itled-13-M.jpg

You can see the city in the distance

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...itled-16-M.jpg

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...itled-18-M.jpg

Midtown

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...itled-20-M.jpg

and arrival

http://gambrell.smugmug.com/Fun/Comm...itled-21-M.jpg

All of this in 8 miles.. lol

cccorlew 12-19-13 12:17 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8...12481821_z.jpg
Rainbow on my morning bike commute by ccorlew, on Flickr

DXchulo 12-19-13 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16343371)
-rainbow-

Awesome photo.

DXchulo 12-19-13 12:36 PM

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0ab0fc96.jpg

Today

Standalone 12-19-13 12:56 PM

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps3oqhnr9n.jpg

Bridgeport, CT. Pequonnock River. Looking towards the East Side from the train station.

Standalone 12-19-13 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 16171105)
My GPS is broken, so I no longer know how fast I'm going or what time it is. So I decided to stop and take lots of pictures this morning:


https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAG0862.jpg

Original album (including video) here.

All very Connecticut.

cccorlew 12-19-13 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXchulo (Post 16343427)

Wow. I get respect from my co-workers for commuting at 30 in the dark, but this? Holy smokes. I am amazed how my fellow commuters handle snow and ice. The one time I tried to ride in new snow (on a Mt. bike, not commuting) I constantly fell over. Do you have special tires, super powers, permanent scars or what?

Oh, nice photo too.

rumrunn6 12-19-13 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
if I was commuting now this would be the road

PatrickGSR94 12-19-13 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opie (Post 16343350)
I'll play...


All of this in 8 miles.. lol

Nice, I like Hotlanta. Have relatives down that way. :)

DXchulo 12-19-13 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16343744)
Wow. I get respect from my co-workers for commuting at 30 in the dark, but this? Holy smokes. I am amazed how my fellow commuters handle snow and ice. The one time I tried to ride in new snow (on a Mt. bike, not commuting) I constantly fell over. Do you have special tires, super powers, permanent scars or what?

Oh, nice photo too.

It doesn't snow all that often here. I just switch over to knobby MTB tires and I'm fine. Fresh snow is easy to ride in if it's not too deep. The day after the snow is usually the problem because they pretty much don't plow anything but the highways, so things can get icy. That usually only lasts one day, though. I can get through that day just fine on knobby MTB tires as long as I'm careful.

deeth82 12-20-13 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarwheel (Post 16230457)
My usual commute is pretty boring, mainly on surburban streets. However, I'm taking a week off this week and "commuting" daily on the Neuse River Trail, a new multi-use path that extends from Falls Lake dam around Raleigh to Clayton, NC. The trail is well paved and very scenic with numerous bridges and boardwalks over the river and nearby wetlands. I've ridden on the trail every day so far this week, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for my regular commute to work because it would increase the distance from about 30 to 60 miles.

Tarwheel, your commute is beautiful and all, and I'mma let you finish, but that bike is one of the most beautiful things ever seen of all time...OF ALL TIME!!

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=355935

P.s. What is that saddlebag rail I'm seeing? Sorry if you've been asked this already, but I like it!

deeth82 12-20-13 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16214316)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8...2c600118_z.jpg
canal trail, today just on a ride but my daily commute all the same by ccorlew, on Flickr

The hell that is Antioch CA is somewhat softened by the morning light.


Beautiful shot! Might I inquire as to what photographic technological devilry you used to acquire such beautiful wide angles?

tarwheel 12-20-13 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth82 (Post 16345466)
Tarwheel, your commute is beautiful and all, and I'mma let you finish, but that bike is one of the most beautiful things ever seen of all time...OF ALL TIME!! P.s. What is that saddlebag rail I'm seeing? Sorry if you've been asked this already, but I like it!

I love this bike! It's a Ritchey Breakaway Cross. I picked up the frame used and built it up with a Soma steel fork. The bag is an Acorn Med-Large saddlebag, and I'm attaching it to the bike with a Carradice Bagman quick-release rack with the underside supports removed. The Bagman makes it very simple and quick to install or remove the saddlebag, which is nice for commuting.

cccorlew 12-20-13 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth82 (Post 16345558)
Beautiful shot! Might I inquire as to what photographic technological devilry you used to acquire such beautiful wide angles?

Blush...
t's a Panasonic DMC-LX5. Has a pretty wide lens and a good sensor. It's a tiny bit big for a jersey pocket, but what the heck.

deeth82 12-20-13 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarwheel (Post 16345614)
I love this bike! It's a Ritchey Breakaway Cross. I picked up the frame used and built it up with a Soma steel fork. The bag is an Acorn Med-Large saddlebag, and I'm attaching it to the bike with a Carradice Bagman quick-release rack with the underside supports removed. The Bagman makes it very simple and quick to install or remove the saddlebag, which is nice for commuting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16345727)
Blush...
t's a Panasonic DMC-LX5. Has a pretty wide lens and a good sensor. It's a tiny bit big for a jersey pocket, but what the heck.


Thanks so much to both of you for answering my questions!
@cccorlew, I bought a cheapo Canon Powershot A2300 for under $100 for ride pics, but when compared with the shots you've taken, it's obvious I got what I paid for. I would love to take the 40D on rides with me, but the weight/fear of breaking it are just too great. Kudos!
@tarwheel, now that I think about it, you've already told me about the bike once before, lol...so many gorgeous bikes on this site; it's hard keeping up with them all. Thanks for letting me know about the Bagman...I might try to DIY something similar, or see if there are any cheap alternatives out there...truth be told, I love the aesthetics of how your bag is set up...it's simple, but you can upsize bags to hold pretty much anything you'd need! I already have racks on all of my bikes, but figured perhaps when I get done changing out some parts on the 2013 Racer, I might just set up something in a vein similar to yours. :)

cccorlew 12-20-13 09:42 AM

A camera that doesn't suck is nice, but mostly I try to shoot a lot (really a lot) and then throw most of them away. Really. The garbbage can is your friend.

This is a Fuji Finepix (kind of cheap, about $100 on eBay)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/9...0545fc3b91.jpg
Cycle Oregon weekend by ccorlew, on Flickr

This is just my iPhone
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/1...b12690b09f.jpg
IPhone fun in a cold wet Antioch parking lot. by ccorlew, on Flickr

PatrickGSR94 12-20-13 10:18 AM

The iPhone 5 and newer models really can take some nice photos.

deeth82 12-20-13 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16346014)
The iPhone 5 and newer models really can take some nice photos.

Absolutely! I've got coworkers with no SLR/DSLR experience taking DSLR-quality shots with their iPhone 5/5s. When upgrade time comes around, I'll be getting one...in the meantime I just swiped my Accounting Mgr's iPhone 4, which is in surprisingly good shape! Definitely takes better photos than my old Rugby Smart.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.