Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Hot or Not (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/905866-hot-not.html)

Andy_K 02-26-14 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spare_wheel (Post 16530036)
nice ride...but the wheels are aesthetically displeasing. black hed c2s or A23s would look nice on that bike.

Funny you should say that. I've got all the pieces to build a set of wheels with the HED rims and SRAM X.9 hubs in my Universal Cycles wish list. I've just been wrestling with sentimental attachment because these were the first wheels I built.

I'm also thinking about getting some SKS Longboard P45s to get a little better spray prevention, but I'm undecided between the silver and the black. I think probably black.

Andy_K 02-26-14 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16529999)
Review link? I think you copied/pasted the same link as the pic. :)

Oops. Fixed now, but here it is: http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-produ...ross-disc-fork

spare_wheel 02-26-14 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 16530138)
Funny you should say that. I've got all the pieces to build a set of wheels with the HED rims and SRAM X.9 hubs in my Universal Cycles wish list.


:thumb:

Medic Zero 03-01-14 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 (Post 16371083)
My Christmas present to myself is a Wald Giant Deliver basket! No more crazy-tilted-Salvador-Dali-droopy-basket!

The only major upgrades left to do are add dynamo hub/lights, and roller/drum brakes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pscdb2c8a8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps707869d2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps1d745a70.jpg

Hot! I particularly like the front light placement, the fenders, and the stars. ;)

Bug Shield 03-01-14 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 (Post 16371083)
My Christmas present to myself is a Wald Giant Deliver basket! No more crazy-tilted-Salvador-Dali-droopy-basket!

The only major upgrades left to do are add dynamo hub/lights, and roller/drum brakes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pscdb2c8a8.jpg



Hot!

Bug Shield 03-01-14 11:39 AM

Behold my new commuter (and expedition) rig!

http://sheepcamp.com/~ben/pics/IMG_1104.jpg

Can I still call it a commuter if I haven't commuted on it yet? I'm currently a summer commuter, not an all-year commuter.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about fenders and thinking about aero bars. Suggestions are welcome.

I may wind up trading the monster tires for mud clearance and fender coverage for commuting. Time will tell. The flotation and vibration damping are welcome on the off road portion of my commute. My commute is 2-miles off road and 14-miles on the road.

Brennan 03-01-14 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 16538487)

Definitely hot as an expedition bike, but the idea of commuting on those wheels/tires is not very appealing. So, for the purposes of this thread: Not.

Andy_K 03-02-14 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan (Post 16539518)
Definitely hot as an expedition bike, but the idea of commuting on those wheels/tires is not very appealing. So, for the purposes of this thread: Not.

I completely agree. I was going to say both of those things but you beat me to it.

gregjones 03-02-14 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 16538487)
My commute is 2-miles off road and 14-miles on the road.

If possible I'd rather ride a 20 mile route, on a road bike.

Bug Shield 03-02-14 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregjones (Post 16540729)
If possible I'd rather ride a 20 mile route, on a road bike.

Energy/time-wise, your right. Years ago I commuted 22.5 miles on a race bike and remember it as being much easier. The alternate point is that I enjoy the dirt portion of my commute much more than the other. I think I'd rather do a 10-mile commute on a mild trail or two track.

There is 15-ish-mile all-dirt option that includes a river crossing and a hike-a-bike that I intend to use one day.

Standalone 03-07-14 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 16529805)
I'm reviving this thread partly because I was sorry to see it drift off but also because I just got a new fork and headset for my Kona Jake and I thought this was the best place to share.

What do you think?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/1...b8129e78_c.jpg

None more commuter.

noglider 03-07-14 11:23 AM

Hot or not?

I loaned my bike to a French grad student/intern for a few months.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E...o/HPIM0190.JPG

DVC45 03-07-14 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16557327)
Hot or not?

I loaned my bike to a French grad student/intern for a few months.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E...o/HPIM0190.JPG

Hot!

treadtread 03-07-14 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister (Post 16369405)
This is the most entertaining thread I've seen in the commuting forum I a while!

I'll play. It's a horrid picture, but I'll get out and get a proper picture later this week and resubmit.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps1c7c6a61.jpg

Your bike is missing a crank arm, so not! Get a nicer photo, and it'll go up in the ratings :)

Andy_K 03-07-14 01:02 PM

Finally got around to taking some pics of my Jake the SSnake in commuter mode. Now it can be judged properly.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/1...15411c2a_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3622/1...93883104_c.jpg

PatrickGSR94 03-07-14 01:11 PM

HOT!!

I'm planning on a similar Topeak rack and trunk bag setup like that. Is that the one with the panniers that expand out of the sides?

Andy_K 03-07-14 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16557327)
Hot or not?

I loaned my bike to a French grad student/intern for a few months.

You mean the bike, right? Because otherwise that would be totally inappropriate. :innocent:

Andy_K 03-07-14 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16557696)
I'm planning on a similar Topeak rack and trunk bag setup like that. Is that the one with the panniers that expand out of the sides?

It is. My laptop fits in the fold out pocket, which means I don't have to switch luggage depending on whether or not I'm hauling the computer. Plus, when I fold out the panniers I can claim an extra FCN point -- that along with my beard and the absurdly low gear I'm currently running (39x16) gets me an 8 on this bike.

PatrickGSR94 03-07-14 01:45 PM

lol I just did that, I'm a 3 at this point because I wear cycling clothes on my long@$$ commute, road bike, clipless pedals, etc. As soon as I add the rack it'll come up a bit. :P

Andy_K 03-07-14 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16557819)
lol I just did that, I'm a 3 at this point because I wear cycling clothes on my long@$$ commute, road bike, clipless pedals, etc. As soon as I add the rack it'll come up a bit. :P

Try baggy shorts over the lycra and grow a beard -- easy points. :thumb:

PatrickGSR94 03-07-14 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 16557832)
Try baggy shorts over the lycra and grow a beard -- easy points. :thumb:

Actually if I recalculate based on the days I ride in regular clothes (like I will be tomorrow night) and count my scraggly goatee under the beard heading, and using the platform side of my A530's, I can get it up to an 8. :)

Braddtastic 01-06-15 01:17 PM

How do you like your raised stem? I have the same bike and am looking at options for bringing the bars back about a quarter inch. A slight raise wouldn't hurt either, but reducing distance is the main goal.

TransitBiker 01-07-15 12:25 AM

Hot thus far.. ;)

- Andy

bikeestes 01-10-16 11:36 PM

Mine

http://pics.tactic.be/bikeforum/commute.jpg

the sci guy 01-11-16 12:49 AM

Need to put drive side facing camera.
Fenders aren't even.
Those tires, woof.
Otherwise a good looking bike. I'm not a fan of that style of handlebar so I can't ever say it's hot.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.