Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Hot or Not (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/905866-hot-not.html)

Bug Shield 08-09-13 11:49 AM

My commuter:

http://sheepcamp.com/~ben/pics/IMG_0937.jpg

Andy_K 08-09-13 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 15942478)
this is what I ride most days, and what will be coming to England, but i'm picking up a heavily used bike tomorrow to keep in CPH on the street outside my flat ... the previously shown bikes will stay at the lake house in Hungary

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=333683

As a mountain bike, that would be reasonably hot. As a commuter, I've got to deduct points for the suspension fork and knobby tires unless you've got a good reason to have them. Lack of rack and fenders is also a drawback. Still in the warm range.

Medic Zero 08-09-13 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 15943463)

Hot, except for the flag!

Bug Shield 08-09-13 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 15939868)

Hot, but could definitely be improved with better fenders.

Andy_K 08-09-13 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 15943463)
My commuter...

In general, I like RockHoppers. In particular, I like RockHoppers with newer components, so that crankset has me interested. Do you have modern shifters too?

The negatives: I'm not a fan of the color. The flag, while no doubt functional, is more than a little fredly. Lastly, are those aero bars?

It could be hot, but as shown I'd say not quite.

Bug Shield 08-09-13 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic Zero (Post 15940320)

I thought I had a funky stem...

megalowmatt 08-09-13 12:40 PM

It's a hot for me, even with the flag. The proportions are right, especially for a converted mountain bike.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 15943463)


megalowmatt 08-09-13 12:42 PM

This is a not. Looks like you're about to hit the trails instead of the commute - suspension fork combined with no rack does it in. Nice picture though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 15942478)
this is what I ride most days, and what will be coming to England, but i'm picking up a heavily used bike tomorrow to keep in CPH on the street outside my flat ... the previously shown bikes will stay at the lake house in Hungary

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=333683


Bug Shield 08-09-13 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 15943629)
In general, I like RockHoppers. In particular, I like RockHoppers with newer components, so that crankset has me interested. Do you have modern shifters too?

The negatives: I'm not a fan of the color. The flag, while no doubt functional, is more than a little fredly. Lastly, are those aero bars?

It could be hot, but as shown I'd say not quite.

It's actually a Hardrock.

I'm not a fan of the color either but it rides nice, was cheap, and I'm not too hung up on aesthetics as evidenced by the flag. I did at least try to tone it down for the photo with a green background and hide that awful pink lettering by facing the sun!

I've considered aero bars but those are bar ends. The shifters are Deore 8-speed and work well; the 7-speed Altus that it came with, not so much! (Auto-shift on bumps.) My commute is about 2.5 miles of off-road and 13.5 miles of highway.

My wife is actually pretty embarrassed by it and calls it Freddy Fenders.

Erwin8r 08-09-13 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalowmatt (Post 15941110)
I'd say the Element is a hot but doesn't look anything like a commuter.

But it's got a taillight, 25c tires, a comfy (not sexy) brown seat, comfy SPD pedals that clip to comfy Izumi XAlp shoes, and, uh, well, I ride it to work regularly... :)

Bug Shield 08-09-13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 15943758)
But it's got a taillight, 25c tires, a comfy (not sexy) brown seat, comfy SPD pedals that clip to comfy Izumi XAlp shoes, and, uh, well, I ride it to work regularly... :)

That definitely counts for something!

tjspiel 08-09-13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 15943758)
But it's got a taillight, 25c tires, a comfy (not sexy) brown seat, comfy SPD pedals that clip to comfy Izumi XAlp shoes, and, uh, well, I ride it to work regularly... :)

Yeah, about that Element.

I've been struggling about what standards a bike should be judged by in the commuting forum when such a wide variety of bikes can be used for commuting. At first glance that bike looks hot (especially with the contrasting red cable housing), but it's confused about it's true purpose in life which is not Hot.

I've decided for now that a bike should be evaluated for what it is and deduct points if the owner is trying to make it something else. I may change my mind tomorrow because all my bikes are more like the latter.

Give that, here's my assessment:

I noticed those spd training pedals you've got on there. SPD on one side and a slippery platform on the other I presume? Wishy-washiness is not hot. If you're going to go clipless on a road bike, it better be all the way. SPDs? Wrong Wrong Wrong. Half SPD, half platform? Even wronger than my grammar and my spelling.

If you ride a CF road bike and aren't walking like a penguin, something ain't right. Penguins are hot.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps6b0baf51.jpg

bigbenaugust 08-09-13 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 15943463)

Hot. MTBs with racks and slicks do it.

Erwin8r 08-09-13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjspiel (Post 15943900)
Yeah, about that Element.

I've been struggling about what standards a bike should be judged by in the commuting forum when such a wide variety of bikes can be used for commuting. At first glance that bike looks hot (especially with the contrasting red cable housing), but it's confused about it's true purpose in life which is not Hot.

I've decided for now that a bike should be evaluated for what it is and deduct points if the owner is trying to make it something else. I may change my mind tomorrow because all my bikes are more like the latter.

Give that, here's my assessment:

I noticed those spd training pedals you've got on there. SPD on one side and a slippery platform on the other I presume? Wishy-washiness is not hot. If you're going to go clipless on a road bike, it better be all the way. SPDs? Wrong Wrong Wrong. Half SPD, half platform? Even wronger than my grammar and my spelling.

If you ride a CF road bike and aren't walking like a penguin, something ain't right. Penguins are hot.

ok, fair enough... But argh! Anyone who can ride that rainbow ironic thing with the green wheel has no business throwing stones.... Lol!!!

Seriously, though (really?), everyone gets those SPD's wrong. They are NOT dual sided--they have a small platform surrounding the mechanism, but they are NOT intended to be be ridden upon on the reverse side. That some do speaks to the decidedly motley assortment of, shall we say, intellectual capabilities of our fellow riders?

The Element has a nice spot in my line up. It hits great comfort zones in my mind, and it just flat rails. I have a pure commuter in an Alfine-equipped Spesh Globe, and I have a decidedly rocket-like full carbon monster in a LaPierre, with a couple confused ti bikes in between. I LOVE re-purposes bikes! I saw an ORbea with flat bars that should be all wrong, but that absolutely plucks at my heart strings. YMMV! ;)



Ok, PS: added the light that I run at dusk/dark (for more comm cred):

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pseda73e4d.jpg

megalowmatt 08-09-13 08:31 PM

As promised, here's the San Jose minus the "penis rack". lol...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3cefb947.jpg

the sci guy 08-09-13 10:16 PM

definitely looks better. even though the trunk bag looks weird because it's so small compared to the rack. lol
honestly though, i dig the bike.

tjspiel 08-09-13 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 15944959)
ok, fair enough... But argh! Anyone who can ride that rainbow ironic thing with the green wheel has no business throwing stones.... Lol!!!

Ironically I think that more than qualifies me to throw stones (see what I did there?).

Further, I've never named a bike but "Rainbow Ironic Thing" is perfect. In fact, there's a rainbow on the head and seat tube, - part of the Univega logo.

Gives me an idea for my next attempt to get a hot rating for that bike. Rather than AYHSMB on the back wheel, I can instead use the much more family friendly "Rainbow Ironic Thing". Not sure I'm willing to do that much work though.

Erwin8r 08-09-13 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjspiel (Post 15945455)
Ironically I think that more than qualifies me to throw stones (see what I did there?).

Further, I've never named a bike but "Rainbow Ironic Thing" is perfect. In fact, there's a rainbow on the head and seat tube, - part of the Univega logo.

Gives me an idea for my next attempt to get a hot rating for that bike. Rather than AYHSMB on the back wheel, I can instead use the much more family friendly "Rainbow Ironic Thing". Not sure I'm willing to do that much work though.

Pearls. Them right there are pearls. Pure awesomeness! :thumb:

Oh, and PS: so no points/cred for that photon-blaster of a light I mounted? I can light up a runway with that thing...lol!

Andy_K 08-09-13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalowmatt (Post 15945193)
As promised, here's the San Jose minus the "penis rack". lol...

It really should be easy to make that bike hot, but it doesn't seem to be happening for you.

I think the camera angle is playing some visual tricks on me. The whole bike looks like it's about to collapse forward. The rack, in particular, seems to be slanting and the trunk bag doesn't help with that visual effect.

More concretely, I don't care for the Forte saddle.

On the other hand, is that a Versa brifter hooked to an Alfine hub? Assuming 'yes' this bike is a few easy steps away from smokin' hot.

Mr. Hairy Legs 08-09-13 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalowmatt (Post 15945193)
As promised, here's the San Jose minus the "penis rack". lol...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3cefb947.jpg

Wheels with mint green and fewer spokes would push it into the 'hot' category for me.

megalowmatt 08-10-13 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 15945540)
It really should be easy to make that bike hot, but it doesn't seem to be happening for you.

I think the camera angle is playing some visual tricks on me. The whole bike looks like it's about to collapse forward. The rack, in particular, seems to be slanting and the trunk bag doesn't help with that visual effect.

More concretely, I don't care for the Forte saddle.

On the other hand, is that a Versa brifter hooked to an Alfine hub? Assuming 'yes' this bike is a few easy steps away from smokin' hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs (Post 15945548)
Wheels with mint green and fewer spokes would push it into the 'hot' category for me.

The more I look at that friggin picture I'm calling my own bike a not! The shot's at an angle, then I rotated it in Photobucket. Who knows, maybe it's skewed, too. :crash: What a mess! It looks like a hideous jalopy.

Yes, the shifter is a Versa.

Anyway, here's my other commuter. After this, I got nothing.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...psd3726a03.jpg

tjspiel 08-10-13 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalowmatt (Post 15945621)
The more I look at that friggin picture I'm calling my own bike a not! The shot's at an angle, then I rotated it in Photobucket. Who knows, maybe it's skewed, too. :crash: What a mess! It looks like a hideous jalopy.

Yes, the shifter is a Versa.

Anyway, here's my other commuter. After this, I got nothing.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...psd3726a03.jpg

Good Staging +10

Same Waterbottle issue I mentioned before -2

Fenders follow curve of tires +2
Front Fender tight clearance and no mud flap -1

Not sure how I'm feeling about the skin walls +0

Persistence in posting +5

I'm going to say HOT

the sci guy 08-10-13 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjspiel (Post 15945789)
Persistence in posting +5

:lol:

Medic Zero 08-10-13 10:27 AM

.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/4145/r5gi.jpg


Quote:

Originally Posted by groovestew (Post 15940463)
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.


Oh come on! Give it a chance! Maybe a close-up of the awesome graphics would help?

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6003/9pb9.jpg

A little hard to make out now that the bike has actually been exposed to the sun for the first time in twenty years, but that is a fine shade of pink!

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/9586/d6ke.jpg

This fine machine may date from 1991, but the graphics are firmly in the great eighties!

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/2927/rcg4.jpg

...and I'm pretty sure that means it was forged in underground factories, by dwarves using tools made from meteors!


I'll wait to receive a few more well-deserved lumps before I tell the tale of this bike. I will say that I did commute on it for a few months (with slicks) and recently did about 20 miles on it mountain biking.

tjspiel 08-10-13 10:38 AM

Since the "Rainbow Ironic Thing" has consistently been rated not hot by this esteemed panel, a reasonable person can only come to one conclusion, - you just haven't seen it enough.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa3940345.jpg

To show I can respond to creative criticism, I have removed the limp rucksack and adjusted the seat.

I also thought that the bike could benefit from a little distance between it and the camera.

Note: "More Distance" does not qualify as creative criticism.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.