Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 848

Thread: Hot or Not

  1. #176
    Senior Member groovestew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Disc Trucker custom build, 2009 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Bianchi road bike, 2012 Scott OTG-20
    Posts
    1,280
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    Since the "Rainbow Ironic Thing" has consistently been rated not hot by this esteemed panel, a reasonable person can only come to one conclusion, - you just haven't seen it enough.



    To show I can respond to creative criticism, I have removed the limp rucksack and adjusted the seat.

    I also thought that the bike could benefit from a little distance between it and the camera.

    Note: "More Distance" does not qualify as creative criticism.
    If you could raise the bike up, oh, say, 700mm, it would almost disappear into the background, especially if you squinted.

  2. #177
    Senior Member groovestew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Disc Trucker custom build, 2009 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Bianchi road bike, 2012 Scott OTG-20
    Posts
    1,280
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    alright finally went out and snapped a few pics of my commuter.
    $150 craigslist for the bike. i added all the accessories for commuting.


    Not a bike I would ride, but still very nice. Hot.

  3. #178
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,003
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    I have a soft spot for old school, rigid mountain bikes. I'm digging the fork style seat stays. Solid, reliable looking bike. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "hot," but I like it.
    That's the one thing I don't like about it! Those are always hideous in my book. Not real keen on those chunky forks either, although I'm guilty of owning a few bikes with those too.
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  4. #179
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,323
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    That's the one thing I don't like about it! Those are always hideous in my book. Not real keen on those chunky forks either, although I'm guilty of owning a few bikes with those too.
    i'd never seen seat stays like that before i bought the bike. but, it was $150 from craigslist and i wanted to grab it before someone else did so i just went with it so i'd have something to ride, weird forks be damned
    after i get my cross-check i'll probably keep it as my bum around town/run errands bike
    thing weighs about 4000 pounds

  5. #180
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,003
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerteeuwen View Post
    that is awesome that you see the same in this bike that i do, i got it on the classifieds for $10, but the only reason i went with it was because of the rear triangle emulating that of a GT triple triangle. That and the fork is strangely modern in design in comparison to other rigid fork mountain bikes, modern in the sense of its taper and overall size.


    do you have a picture of your bike you could put in here?

    Okay folks! You see it right there, someone is requesting a picture of it! Maybe this will get me those coveted "persistence" points!





    Here it is in commuting configuration! Like lipstick on a pig, those are Continental Gatorskins on there. They cost as much as the bike costed me!

    tigerteeuwen
    : I'm envious you scored your cooler Norco for ten bucks, I ended up paying $80 for this one, but other than a few dings to the paint (probably from car doors, it was garaged for 20 years) it was in brand new condition. Even the brake pads looked brand new.


    There are a few more pictures of this bike further back in the thread.
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  6. #181
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,003
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    i'd never seen seat stays like that before i bought the bike. but, it was $150 from craigslist and i wanted to grab it before someone else did so i just went with it so i'd have something to ride, weird forks be damned
    after i get my cross-check i'll probably keep it as my bum around town/run errands bike
    thing weighs about 4000 pounds
    Oh, I totally feel you. Check out the Sekai I've been posting. That was merely a placeholder while I was building up my commuter, so that I had something to ride! Recently my mountain bike that I actually use on dirt was stolen so I resurrected the neglected Sekai and built it back up as a mountain bike so that I had something for the couple of little mountain biking excursions we had planned this summer. Any bike is better than no bike!
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  7. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 520, 1990 Trek 2300 Pro, Trek 7900, '83 Trek 610 (on permanent loan)
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun stuff! Here's a series of my commuter...

    ...as it was two years ago when I got it:


    ...as it was a few months ago (sorry about the non-drive side shot):




    ...and tomorrow I'll get one of her current phase in life. Gum walls are back, but I finally submitted to the useability of "aero" brakes.

  8. #183
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The White Mountains of AZ
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickfrogger View Post

    Great backdrop for that bike. Hot.

  9. #184
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,432
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to put that theory to the test. Original bike. New staging. What say you?
    * Yawn *

    Another... I have a bike, and a camera thread...

  10. #185
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few of both, is that OK. Should we just stop using them?
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  11. #186
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    I have a few of both, is that OK. Should we just stop using them?
    käsespätzle
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  12. #187
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is good
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  13. #188
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    is good
    It's the first thing I think of when I see your name. I miss it already
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  14. #189
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    It's the first thing I think of when I see your name. I miss it already
    you can come back ya know.

    I have zero intention on leaving here and going back "home"
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  15. #190
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    you can come back ya know.

    I have zero intention on leaving here and going back "home"
    Actually, I'm moving to England, not back to the US. The academic system in Germany has a huge bottleneck before the age of 42 or so, so I'll be back in a few years after I "mature" in England.

    However, I did find a market town to live in with a local an indoor market that possesses a proper "Metzgerei" and a proper "Bäckerei" so all is not lost In addition, English beer isn't so bad.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  16. #191
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Actually, I'm moving to England, not back to the US. The academic system in Germany has a huge bottleneck before the age of 42 or so, so I'll be back in a few years after I "mature" in England.

    However, I did find a market town to live in with a local an indoor market that possesses a proper "Metzgerei" and a proper "Bäckerei" so all is not lost In addition, English beer isn't so bad.
    My wife has had few problems with the bottleneck of which you speak, but she works where she leaned so that may be it.

    English beer is great, at certain times of the year better than German like in the spring. There is no competition for German bread, no matter what the French think.
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  17. #192
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    My wife has had few problems with the bottleneck of which you speak, but she works where she leaned so that may be it.

    English beer is great, at certain times of the year better than German like in the spring. There is no competition for German bread, no matter what the French think.
    German bread is very underrated. I also had to make sure where I'm looking to live had an Aldi and Lidi

    Last month when it was super hot in Bayern, a Radler sure hit the spot
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  18. #193
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first got here I thought that mix sounded horrible turn out it was OK. The Germans will mix anything with beer some of it good and some not so much, I still don't like cola-weizen at all though.

    The one thing I do notice when I leave Germany for anywhere is how loud those places are Germany is so quiet.
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  19. #194
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    The one thing I do notice when I leave Germany for anywhere is how loud those places are Germany is so quiet.
    I think it's more of an issue of where it's socially acceptable to be loud/quiet. In most places, at most times, it's not appropriate to be loud/noisy. For example, in most bars/biergartens it's not loud, at all, compared to English pubs/bars or American drinking establishments. It's also much louder in the Mediterranean countries and Eastern Europe.

    However, when the party is on, i.e Fasching, it's really on, which can be quite nice if one wants to partake.

    As an example ... note, this is not Oktoberfest ... it's one of the many festivals that most small-/medium-sized towns in southern Germany have.

    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  20. #195
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    I think it's more of an issue of where it's socially acceptable to be loud/quiet. In most places, at most times, it's not appropriate to be loud/noisy. For example, in most bars/biergartens it's not loud, at all, compared to English pubs/bars or American drinking establishments. It's also much louder in the Mediterranean countries and Eastern Europe.

    However, when the party is on, i.e Fasching, it's really on, which can be quite nice if one wants to partake.

    As an example ... note, this is not Oktoberfest ... it's one of the many festivals that most small-/medium-sized towns in southern Germany have.

    Yes, fest is loud but in small towns it's once a year and in my small town its last day is today. Fasching can be loud depending on where you are, I live in a little town outside of Stuttgart while working and it's not loud here at all. My home in Frankonia on the other hand is loud. I've lived here almost 10 years now and I've gotten used to how Germany is in my areas is so when we travel I key in on the differences. One of my families former exchange students is a Fin when we went to visit him 3 years ago it was the only place that was close to quietness of this this area. London on the other hand is louder than Munich and Stuttgart combined, it's a cheerful boisterousness but boisterous none the less. Italy, Spain, and Portugal don't hold a candle in clamor to Turkey, Egypt, Dubai, and Quatar. Next year we'll probably venture to Malaysia on vacation which I'm betting will be more boisterous too.
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  21. #196
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    Yes, fest is loud but in small towns it's once a year and in my small town its last day is today. Fasching can be loud depending on where you are, I live in a little town outside of Stuttgart while working and it's not loud here at all. My home in Frankonia on the other hand is loud. I've lived here almost 10 years now and I've gotten used to how Germany is in my areas is so when we travel I key in on the differences. One of my families former exchange students is a Fin when we went to visit him 3 years ago it was the only place that was close to quietness of this this area. London on the other hand is louder than Munich and Stuttgart combined, it's a cheerful boisterousness but boisterous none the less. Italy, Spain, and Portugal don't hold a candle in clamor to Turkey, Egypt, Dubai, and Quatar. Next year we'll probably venture to Malaysia on vacation which I'm betting will be more boisterous too.
    I was quite lucky to catch the first evening of "fest" in Memmingen this year

    Also, I agree. Istanbul is quite boisterous
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  22. #197
    Senior Member Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    I was quite lucky to catch the first evening of "fest" in Memmingen this year

    Also, I agree. Istanbul is quite boisterous
    Yes, and it's quite fun but it's not something I could do everyday..

    Memmingen is in BFE an hour plus from Munich, Stuttgart and the Bodensee? Did you teach down there?
    I'm an angry angst ridden anarcho-punk socialist you should just generally disregard my posts--Germany_chris

  23. #198
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    Yes, and it's quite fun but it's not something I could do everyday..

    Memmingen is in BFE an hour plus from Munich, Stuttgart and the Bodensee? Did you teach down there?
    gf's family is from Mooshausen, on the Baden-Württemberg/Bayern border (An dem Iller), so we spend a lot of time there.

    I taught at Goethe Universität in FFM.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  24. #199
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,940
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    * Yawn *

    Another... I have a bike, and a camera thread...


    While my creations aren't always appreciated here as the art they truly are, at least I know that there is a place where I can always find worse. That is the glory of these picture threads.


    There was a thread awhile back asking people how they kept from getting bored on their commute. It never occurred to me this might be a problem. I don't know why exactly but probably one reason I don't get bored is that I'm constantly tweaking or trying something new.

    My commuting history:

    90's MTB
    80's Road Bike
    70's Road Bike upgraded to indexed shifting
    700c MTB to drop bar conversion
    MTB drop bar bike switched from derailleurs to IGH
    Modern road bike with STI's
    Modern road bike converted to Campy
    Urban 29er built up from frame
    Fixed gear built from spare parts

    After throwing that fixie together a couple of weekends ago I couldn't wait to ride it to work even though I'd taken it on a few rides that weekend.

    Every one of those bikes in pretty much every iteration has ended up posted on BF someplace. I do ride with a couple of different groups but for the most part they ride stock bikes and can't appreciate the sometimes weird stuff I do.
    Last edited by tjspiel; 08-12-13 at 09:10 AM.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  25. #200
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,940
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickfrogger View Post

    That is an awesome picture.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •