Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Rebuilt Litespeed Vortex, Vintage racing bike fixed gear conversion, Dawes 601 Hybrid (2001)
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had similar questions when I built my bike last year. I put eggbeaters on it, although I had no previous clipless experience. 16 months of commuting later, conclusions;

    • clipless pedals make a night and day difference. The single biggest improvement to my over-all cycling experience.
    • eggbeaters, for a number of reasons, are not suitable for riding fixed. They are just not secure enough. The cleats are too soft and wear too fast. Around 6 weeks after installing new cleats (each time) they start disengaging under load, eg. leaving traffic lights or slowing up. I tried adjusting them, but can't do that any more, having scuffed the ends on a few curbs. They're light and look interesting but aren't up for the job. I've switched to Shimano SPD m520s; heavy, clunky, but better fit for purpose. Might have to switch to a proper road pedal system next.
    • I'm safer riding fixed. No tumbles or accidents in the last 16 months (several in the previous few years). Lots of possible explanations. *shrug*
    • I used to get through a set of brake pads every 3 months. I'm still on the first set on my fixed gear.
    • As they say, riding fixed is an engaging experience. More tiring perhaps, till your muscles adjust, but fun. I love it.
    • I just built myself a racing bike - now I'm struggling to adjust to these weird gear things and the freewheel. Ugh, I loose contact with the bike when I stop pedaling!


    Good luck.
    Last edited by MarkN; 08-16-13 at 12:52 PM.

  2. #27
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,955
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's been a couple more weeks and I've addressed most of the fit issues. The bike has now become a pleasure to ride. One thing that made a surprising difference is the switch from a generic Kenda 700X25c to Vittoria Zaffiro Pro. It's not like the Zaffiro is a high end tire by any means but the ride difference is significant.

    Before the crash and fixie conversion it was a very smooth riding bike so I was a bit surprised at the harshness of the ride after. I did have to replace the fork but the new one is chromoly and very similar to the original except for being a couple of mm shorter. There was also a handlebar change due to the old one being bent. I ended up swapping that out too last week which may be partly responsible for the difference.

    Lastly, thanks to the generosity of another BF member, I got a set of double sided spd pedals to try out. I was convinced that clipping in and out on a fixie would be more of a challenge due to the pedals being in constant motion but it turned out to be a non-issue.

    So long story short, I am now something of a fixie convert and it's become my regular commuter. I'm tempted to ride it at least partly into the winter months to experience the benefits of fixed gears in winter that others have talked about. The problem is that I really don't want to trash this bike, - even though it may not be that attractive in the conventional sense in its current configuration. We'll see.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  3. #28
    Senior Member gregjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Georgia
    My Bikes
    K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
    Posts
    2,264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    I got a set of double sided spd pedals to try out. I was convinced that clipping in and out on a fixie would be more of a challenge due to the pedals being in constant motion but it turned out to be a non-issue.
    I'm glad your fixeD experience is working out for you.

    Right now, I have A530 SPD/Platform pedals. I love them. While most of my riding is country roads, I do have a four lane that I have to cross on occasion. I use the platform side as I approach the busy road and when taking off to cross it. They work great, I feel more comfortable not being clipped in where's there's such a chance for an emergency.
    Disclaimer: It's just an opinion that I have. It works for me. I am not the forum "Police (Of Anything)". Others may disagree. And....YMMV.
    Don't use up any brain cells thinking that I care, you don't like anything anyway.

    Click PR Logo
    PedalRoom

  4. #29
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,492
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    So it's been a couple more weeks and I've addressed most of the fit issues. The bike has now become a pleasure to ride. One thing that made a surprising difference is the switch from a generic Kenda 700X25c to Vittoria Zaffiro Pro. It's not like the Zaffiro is a high end tire by any means but the ride difference is significant.

    Before the crash and fixie conversion it was a very smooth riding bike so I was a bit surprised at the harshness of the ride after. I did have to replace the fork but the new one is chromoly and very similar to the original except for being a couple of mm shorter. There was also a handlebar change due to the old one being bent. I ended up swapping that out too last week which may be partly responsible for the difference.

    Lastly, thanks to the generosity of another BF member, I got a set of double sided spd pedals to try out. I was convinced that clipping in and out on a fixie would be more of a challenge due to the pedals being in constant motion but it turned out to be a non-issue.

    So long story short, I am now something of a fixie convert and it's become my regular commuter. I'm tempted to ride it at least partly into the winter months to experience the benefits of fixed gears in winter that others have talked about. The problem is that I really don't want to trash this bike, - even though it may not be that attractive in the conventional sense in its current configuration. We'll see.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new fixie ..practice makes perfect. What type of handlebars do you have on yours ??..I've been using bullhorns for a long time and I love it, they provide a lot of levarege for climbing hills, accelarating, sprinting and I find them comfortable.

  5. #30
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,955
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjones View Post
    I'm glad your fixeD experience is working out for you.

    Right now, I have A530 SPD/Platform pedals. I love them. While most of my riding is country roads, I do have a four lane that I have to cross on occasion. I use the platform side as I approach the busy road and when taking off to cross it. They work great, I feel more comfortable not being clipped in where's there's such a chance for an emergency.
    That's good to know because I have some of the same concerns. Plus I like the idea of just being able to hop on the bike without my bike shoes if only going on a short trip. The current pedals seem like they might be OK for that if not ideal.

    I do have a set of A530s but I had it in my head that being single-sided they'd be more difficult to clip in to even though I don't have any trouble with them on a geared bike.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  6. #31
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,955
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new fixie ..practice makes perfect. What type of handlebars do you have on yours ??..I've been using bullhorns for a long time and I love it, they provide a lot of levarege for climbing hills, accelarating, sprinting and I find them comfortable.
    The member of the family who actually owns it is an open question.

    After noting her reaction to the green wheel I thought it best to stick with drops in case my wife at some point successfully re-asserts her claim to the bike.
    Last edited by tjspiel; 09-02-13 at 08:53 PM.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,565
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the bullhorns. If you do any skid stopping I find the leverage from the top of bullhorns helps. I originally went with drops on my new fixie/track bike build but switched to bullhorn last week and skid stops feel much easier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •