Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Do you carry protection? (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/907772-do-you-carry-protection.html)

rhm 08-23-13 12:49 PM

I am not the kind of guy who gets in a lot of fights, and do not carry a weapon of any kind. I'm sure there's a causal relationship there, but I'm not sure which way it goes. Do I not carry a weapon because I don't get in fights? Or do I not get in fights because I don't carry a weapon? Whatever, not carrying a weapon has worked for me so far, and the world would be safer if everyone followed my example.

dogfather69 08-23-13 02:51 PM

where do you carry a handgun, i have a chl, but if i put it in my lycra riding shorts it would look odd

rms13 08-23-13 03:17 PM

If I'm commuting and wearing normal pants/shorts I carry a folding knife. If I'm going for a serious ride and wearing spandex I'll have to use my bike as a weapon if it comes down to it.

I used to have a ccw when I was living in VA but in CA it's impossible to get one. The irony of course is that I never felt like I needed to carry in VA because of safety (but I did because anyway because I could) and in CA (los angeles area) I feel like I need to carry everywhere I go but the local government doesn't trust us here enough to honor our rights.

tcs 08-23-13 03:33 PM

From the numbers I've seen in the cycling literature over the last 50 years, cyclists are far more likely to be injured by a dog-related crash than by a dog attack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 15973826)
I understand your point about not singling out certain breeds, but there's a big difference between being bitten by a pit bull and being bitten by a Yorkshire terrier.

As I've tried to explain to countless dog owners, there's no difference in having your front wheel knocked out from under you by a pit bull or a Yorkie.

JoeyBike 08-23-13 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 15992261)
...not carrying a weapon has worked for me so far, and the world would be safer if everyone followed my example.

So my 97LB wife would be SAFER while being assaulted by a 250LB man if she left her Lady S&W at home in the safe. Man, she will be so glad to know that.

Apparently, not all of us reside in the same world.

katsrevenge 08-23-13 04:54 PM

Well, I do carry stuff to fix flats.

phillybill 08-23-13 04:57 PM

i guess i'd have to hit them with my pannier or backpack

Thrasymachus 08-23-13 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbnm (Post 15967508)
...
The driver (male) slammed on the brakes, jumped out the car and came rushing at me with fists clenched.

...

Long story short, after he picked up my bike and threw it, he realized there were people watching and yelling
at him about calling the police, he took off.

...

This is nonsense and you are asking about protection? What you should have done is not have watched him stop his car, get out, and come over to assault you, and hauled ass since you have a bike and he is likely an out of shape motorist who cannot go very fast on foot. Pepper spray or a gun are options that you use if you are foolish enough to watch a motorist attempt to assault you, which is bad policy in the first place.

Double0757 08-23-13 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfather69 (Post 15992580)
where do you carry a handgun, i have a chl, but if i put it in my lycra riding shorts it would look odd

I wrap it on a ziplock bag and put it in an anti slip pocket holster and carry that inside the waistband on the side of my pants, be Lycra, bibs or regular pants. I do wear over size fluorescent nylon shirts that don't let the bulk show. The gun needs to be light to be able to stay put throughout the ride. The ziplock still allows your finger to get in and fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 15992261)
Whatever, not carrying a weapon has worked for me so far, and the world would be safer if everyone followed my example.

There is true evil in this world, and this kind of thinking is naive! Gun carrying is a personal choice that is not for everyone. I decided I'm not going to be a helpless victim in case my life is in danger and I'm not going without a fight. I respect other people's choices as not to carry. God help me see it coming, because if you don't, it would not matter what type of protection you carry! First avoid, but if you can't, fight!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasymachus (Post 15993109)
This is nonsense and you are asking about protection? What you should have done is not have watched him stop his car, get out, and come over to assault you, and hauled ass since you have a bike and he is likely an out of shape motorist who cannot go very fast on foot. Pepper spray or a gun are options that you use if you are foolish enough to watch a motorist attempt to assault you, which is bad policy in the first place.

I agree! Better to run and avoid a confrontation than having to defend your self!
Double O

Thrasymachus 08-23-13 08:39 PM

If you see a motorist stop his car to confront you, don't wait, just lose them. Even if you think you can beat them up, do you think you can avoid being seen or getting caught? It is not worth it. The original poster was not distracted and caught by surprise, he just haplessly watched his future attacker approach him, and now asks us on this forum about "protection tools or strategies." It is so stupid, just use your superior agility to lose the motor vehicle. Or use your superior speed to lose the motorist on foot.

Lanovran 08-23-13 08:44 PM

I typically carry a pocket knife anywhere I go, though it's much more a tool than a weapon (it's potentially better than nothing in the right situation). On my commuter/touring bike, I have a larger, more-practical-for-self-defense knife in my trunk bag. Along with that, I have my martial arts and defensive tactics training; but fortunately, I've never had call to put any of it to real use.

CbadRider 08-23-13 08:52 PM

I removed comments referring to the Zimmerman/Martin case since those belong in the Politics & Religion forum. However, that topic has been banned from P&R because of the volatile subject so you'll have to find another forum to discuss it other than Bike Forums. Thanks for your cooperation with this.

CbadRider
Forum Administrator

howeeee 08-23-13 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 15968213)
+1 - I think they're a lot more likely to get you into trouble then out of it (and the numbers bear this out). I know my own temperament, and there are situations that ended with some bruised egos that would have been a lot worse had I carried. That pepper spray is interesting, and it's something I've thought of before. In the end, I don't really want to carry it around...and you can get in trouble with pepper spray as well.

To my understanding, some guys get hopped up on certain things that can lead to spray having minimal effect...and I'd be worried about it being used against me. I think the best weapon is common sense mixed with a touch of cowardice.

The way you reduce the trouble you can have with pepper spray is to practice with it. Buy a couple of extra cans and practice. I used to sell pepper spray. I personaly dont carry anything and I always yell at the jerks.

AdrianFly 08-25-13 01:53 AM

When a motorist comes running like a gorilla on meth.. be sure to run or you might catch your death.

There is dignity in flight, or the decision to flee.. because if you outrun your villians then you're a racer like me!

cehowardGS 08-25-13 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbnm (Post 15967508)
I am sure there will be a bunch of jokes about the title but here's why I ask?

The other day a driver ran through a stop sign at about 40 mph. This was about 30 feet in front of me in a
very decent residential area.

I yelled "hey!". Nothing more.

The driver (male) slammed on the brakes, jumped out the car and came rushing at me with fists clenched.

This dude was hopped up on something and was ready to take me out.

Long story short, after he picked up my bike and threw it, he realized there were people watching and yelling
at him about calling the police, he took off.

So what would you have done? Do you carry any kind of weapon or even pepper spray?

Just curious. I am not really sure what I should do.

Wow, that is a tough one there, real tough. At the moment, what you did or didn't do, could have affected your whole life. IMO, you did the right thing. Others may disagree. It only takes a second of rage for something drastic to happen. Also, if you had some protection, say a gun, it would have escalated greatly.

IMO, I think it took a lot of guts just to watch the guy grab your bike and throw it..It is just a bike.. You stepped in, and it is a life threatening situation now. We read all day of dumb stuff happening, that could have been avoided, and ended bad.

I have been in spots like that before, and I saw what was coming before anyone could get close to me, I retreated. No harm done to me.

Being an older person, and seen what I have seen through the length of my years. You handled it well. :beer:

no1mad 08-25-13 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martianone (Post 15972052)
Not sure I understand why you let the culprit get your bike, fright or flight ? Me flight.

I was wondering this as well and had to go digging. Here's the answer (found on the first page)- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15968186.

PlanoFuji 08-25-13 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfather69 (Post 15992580)
where do you carry a handgun, i have a chl, but if i put it in my lycra riding shorts it would look odd

My preference (in order) handlebar bag, fanny pack holster, shoulder holster (street clothes with a jacket in cooler weather).

erig007 08-25-13 08:08 AM

here are some basic self defense techniques


born2pdl 09-17-13 12:27 PM

A problem I haven't heard addressed yet: Your commute is in a low crime area but local drivers have a hard time tolerating cyclists. You are commuting home and just had an altercation with a motorist who drove like a jerk. You successfully deterred him or protected yourself using your chosen method. Now it would be easy for him to track you on future commute days and exacting significant revenge on you.

The only good solution I see is to not provoke one of them, and be ready to pedal an escape if that didn't work.

Timber_8 09-17-13 05:41 PM

I carry a 45 n a fanny pack

ursle 09-17-13 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbnm (Post 15967508)
I am sure there will be a bunch of jokes about the title but here's why I ask?

The other day a driver ran through a stop sign at about 40 mph. This was about 30 feet in front of me in a
very decent residential area.

I yelled "hey!". Nothing more.

The driver (male) slammed on the brakes, jumped out the car and came rushing at me with fists clenched.

This dude was hopped up on something and was ready to take me out.

Long story short, after he picked up my bike and threw it, he realized there were people watching and yelling
at him about calling the police, he took off.

So what would you have done? Do you carry any kind of weapon or even pepper spray?

Just curious. I am not really sure what I should do.

The bike is a weapon, you gave your weapon away.

Obviously you want to carry a projectile ejecting weapon, it's your choice, your morals involved, if you do and cause "harm" this "getting others to agree" won't hold up in court.
Carry a phone with a camera, hold it up, it's a modern day gun;)

Slaninar 09-18-13 04:36 AM

In my city, last night a 50+ year old man was going home after having closed his shop. He was walking home with his wife. Carrying money from that day's business. They were attacked by 3 men. Attackers used pepper spray on the woman, one started beating her, while the other two turned to the man.

The man pulled 357, shot the first attacker that came to him 2 times, in the thigh and in the head. The attacker lived (head shot might have been a ricoshet, probably, since it didn kill him). Attackers fled.

Had he not carried the gun, his wife and him would have been beaten up and robbed. Now he's going to 5+ years in prison. Thugs said they were not going to rob him, just wanted to fight.


Point is - if you carry a gun, in a stressful situation you will get scared and use it. Not always wisely (impossible for 99% of people to control themselves when very scared). So I guess it's wiser not to carry. At least in my city. Robbers take money and run - not many people get killed while being robbed where I live. 1 in over 10.000 perhaps.

I rely on judging surroundings, paying attention to people, places, where I go and when, also make sure I don't look like an easy target with lots of cash. AND avoid conflicts at all times - just smile and wave.




Realised I just lied! :) I almost always carry weapons, but they are in the bacakpack at the rack, or in the panniers. Knife for cutting cable insulation etc, sometimes even gun for practice shooting, but it is not stored in a way to be used for self defence/attack, but in a way to be safe, taking loooooooong time to unpack.

Timber_8 09-20-13 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanoFuji (Post 15996735)
My preference (in order) handlebar bag, fanny pack holster, shoulder holster (street clothes with a jacket in cooler weather).

this is how I do it

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...7090efc78f.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...091eec83c9.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...816e50f193.jpg

Timber_8 09-20-13 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaninar (Post 16078027)
In my city, last night a 50+ year old man was going home after having closed his shop. He was walking home with his wife. Carrying money from that day's business. They were attacked by 3 men. Attackers used pepper spray on the woman, one started beating her, while the other two turned to the man.

The man pulled 357, shot the first attacker that came to him 2 times, in the thigh and in the head. The attacker lived (head shot might have been a ricoshet, probably, since it didn kill him). Attackers fled.

Had he not carried the gun, his wife and him would have been beaten up and robbed. Now he's going to 5+ years in prison. Thugs said they were not going to rob him, just wanted to fight.


Point is - if you carry a gun, in a stressful situation you will get scared and use it. Not always wisely (impossible for 99% of people to control themselves when very scared). So I guess it's wiser not to carry. At least in my city. Robbers take money and run - not many people get killed while being robbed where I live. 1 in over 10.000 perhaps.

I rely on judging surroundings, paying attention to people, places, where I go and when, also make sure I don't look like an easy target with lots of cash. AND avoid conflicts at all times - just smile and wave.




Realised I just lied! :) I almost always carry weapons, but they are in the bacakpack at the rack, or in the panniers. Knife for cutting cable insulation etc, sometimes even gun for practice shooting, but it is not stored in a way to be used for self defence/attack, but in a way to be safe, taking loooooooong time to unpack.

What City and Country, I can't imagine that happening in the US unless the firearm was carried ileagaly or their is more to the story. In the United States it has been legally determined the the police not only can not protect you but they are not legally bound to protect you. This is because they would be open to lawsuits every time someone was a victim of crime. In the US you have a legal right to protect yourself even with deadly force if it is required


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.