Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Zero flat record...broken

    After a year and half of on and off commuting, I finally got my first flat. I was about one third of the way to work, and all of sudden the wheels feels weird. Stopped to inspect and sure enough, there is a metal stable stuck in my rearwheel, nice and tight. After I pulled it out and the wheel just immediately lost pressure. Bus to work with bike.

    Bus was sooo slow. I should just have rode to work without pulling that stable out. Yes, I will be carrying a patch kit from now on...

    And source of cheap 700c tubes? looked online, it's about 5-6$ for one! with bad review too. what brand do you use?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South St. Paul, MN
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Peugeot PX-10
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Zero flat record...broken

    Whatever the lbs hands me. Usually 7 bucks but if you get a good patch kit, Rema is what I use, should only need one spare as long as it doesn't rip at the stem

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,197
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode a tour of Western Ireland And Scotland on thorn resistant tubes , zero punctures .. its only failure
    was the dreaded stem leak, once back stateside .. little under Pressure and tire creep, or just Fate, IDK

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering, is patching of tire also needed? or can I just ride it as is?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Soma Smoothie E/S, Cannondale Road Tandem
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenturionIM View Post
    Just wondering, is patching of tire also needed? or can I just ride it as is?
    Depends on whether the tire is damaged. I usually (carefully) run my finger around the inside of the tire to make sure there is nothing there to repuncture a patched or new tube. Once it's clear I just go on about my business. If the tire is damaged, you can use a tire boot to get where you're going but then I would replace the tire.

    I have failed to catch a little piece of something on the inside of a tire and just kept flatting.

  6. #6
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,137
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $5 isn't horrible, especially if you get a good deal on shipping -- how much was the bus fare?
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  7. #7
    Senior Member kmv2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    My Bikes
    Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenturionIM View Post
    And source of cheap 700c tubes? looked online, it's about 5-6$ for one! with bad review too. what brand do you use?
    Ever been to a store? Tubes are usually under $5.
    Also, online reviews are usually pretty idiotic.

    Carry an extra tube in a saddle bag. The patch kit is to get you home, don't intend for it to last as long as an actual tube. I use the Park tool no glue patches, they're easy and no mess. Never ride on a flat, your wheel will get ruined pretty quick.

  8. #8
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,137
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
    Carry an extra tube in a saddle bag. The patch kit is to get you home, don't intend for it to last as long as an actual tube. I use the Park tool no glue patches, they're easy and no mess. Never ride on a flat, your wheel will get ruined pretty quick.
    This needs clarification. The no-glue patches are just to get you home (if they do), but a properly-glued patch will last indefinitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  9. #9
    Senior Member kmv2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    My Bikes
    Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    This needs clarification. The no-glue patches are just to get you home (if they do), but a properly-glued patch will last indefinitely.
    If you do it right.

  10. #10
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,137
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
    If you do it right.
    I said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  11. #11
    Senior Member kmv2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    My Bikes
    Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    I said that.
    $5 new tube gives me peace of mind and saves the time and hassle of doing a "proper" patch (picture a really heavy rain storm on the side of the highway or something).

    If you keep the tires inflated to a proper psi and watch out for piles of debris, flats should be pretty rare (at least they are for me).. I think 5 bucks is worthwhile investment for something that happens maybe a couple times a year.

    Different strokes for different folks. If you want to save a couple bucks, by all means patch that **** til its covered in them.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Allant
    Posts
    1,449
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a Park vulcanizing patch kit with 6 patches in it for $2. If done properly, these patches are just as good as the original tube.

    Still, I carry a spare tube for quicker roadside changes. My punctures are usually quite invisible until the tube is placed underwater, which I obviously can't do on the side of the road. I got my spare tubes at my LBS for about $5. I patch the punctured tube when I get home and then it becomes my spare.

  13. #13
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,137
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
    $5 new tube gives me peace of mind and saves the time and hassle of doing a "proper" patch (picture a really heavy rain storm on the side of the highway or something).

    If you keep the tires inflated to a proper psi and watch out for piles of debris, flats should be pretty rare (at least they are for me).. I think 5 bucks is worthwhile investment for something that happens maybe a couple times a year.

    Different strokes for different folks. If you want to save a couple bucks, by all means patch that **** til its covered in them.
    Oh believe me -- I always carry a spare tube, and would never suggest carrying a patch kit without having a spare tube as the first-line defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  14. #14
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern, Ontario
    Posts
    551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without trying to put too fine a point on this, how much does it cost to repair a flat car tire?
    How far can you get on $7 worth of gas?
    In the scheme of things, even when the most expensive tubes are cheap.
    Live a little, buy two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •