Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for a new bike want some advice
I'm not sure if I should put this here or in road biking but since it's about a bike I use to commute I'll post here. The time has come for me to upgrade from my '81 Schwinn solid steel road bike. I've been using it as a commuter bike and for exploring NYC. There are a few things wrong with it the front fork is bent the rear axle is partially stripped and the saddle is falling apart but mostly I'm sick of how heavy it is! So I definitely want a new bike but I have requirements and I need to if there do able with my budget.
So here are my requirements:
1. It must be a road bike
2. It must be at least a 8 speed bike
3. It must have one or preferably 2 built in water holder mounts
4. It must be made out of aluminum or anything lighter than steel
5. It must not come from Craigslist. I'm sick of seeing obviously stolen bikes on CL and I don't want to worry about my new and beloved bike being stolen from it former owner.
6. The front wheel must be a quick release
7. I'd prefer a bike that is about 5 years old or newer
8. It must have integrated brake shifters
Things I'd like for it to have:
1. I'd prefer if it didn't have cyclocross brake levers but if it does no biggy
2. I'm going back and forth about fenders
3. I'd prefer if it came from a local bike shop (LBS)
4. I'd prefer it if the seat wasn't quick release.
My budget is between $400-700. I'm considering keeping my old bike and using it as a foul weather commuter and an errand bike since it has a cargo rack. In which case I'd forgo the fenders on the new one. Can I find a bike that meets my requirements that's within my budget? Thanks in advance for your replies!
Last edited by walrus1; 08-30-13 at 10:25 PM.