Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 113
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Omaha, Ne
    My Bikes
    Giant Freerider (european city bike), GT Talera , Giant Boulder
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am mostly a fan of Hub generators. Near no drag and BRIGHT light. I use just a standard shimano hub with a Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo(60 lux version).
    http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and...umotec-iq-cyo/

  2. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, EU
    My Bikes
    Drag Grizzly, Raleigh Pioneer Venture GT
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I ordered this from DX.com and it's been almost a month since but it still hasn't shipped. So, while I expect it to do its job properly, I won't be able to comment until I get my hands on it. Anyone else ordered this or something similar from DX? Anyone else experiencing late deliveries?

  3. #53
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vatdim View Post
    Personally, I ordered this from DX.com and it's been almost a month since but it still hasn't shipped. So, while I expect it to do its job properly, I won't be able to comment until I get my hands on it. Anyone else ordered this or something similar from DX? Anyone else experiencing late deliveries?
    DX ships very slow. It's too late to do otherwise, since you've already ordered it, but there are lots of other retailers on Fleabay or Amazon that ship faster. You might even be able to get it for a little bit less. One thing I do when looking on Fleabay is to look for US shippers. There are a few and they ship much faster.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  4. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, EU
    My Bikes
    Drag Grizzly, Raleigh Pioneer Venture GT
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    DX ships very slow. It's too late to do otherwise, since you've already ordered it, but there are lots of other retailers on Fleabay or Amazon that ship faster. You might even be able to get it for a little bit less. One thing I do when looking on Fleabay is to look for US shippers. There are a few and they ship much faster.
    Well, the main reason I chose DX was the free shipping, plus the fact that they had something I wouldn't be able to buy in my country even if I were prepared to spend three times as much on it. It's next to impossible to find a 200+ lumen bike light here and those would cost double the amount I paid for a 1000 lumen light. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at my waiting now though.

  5. #55
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    4,057
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    Second, carry a back up system or, better yet, get a second light. At $40 to $50 per unit for the double lamp and $25 $40 for a single lamp unit, having multiples isn't all that expensive.

    Third, carry an extra battery if you don't charge it every night when you get home.

    Fifth...boy, this options list is getting long...carry a backup to the backup. Even if you ride with dynamo lights, you should carry a backup of some kind. Stuff happens and it's a little known or, rather, a little appreciated, fact that it gets dark when the sun goes down.

    Sixth...and not necessarily finally...I almost guarantee that if you forget to charge your battery and it goes out on the way home, you won't forget to charge it again. Experience can be a harsh mistress.
    This is what I ended up doing. I wanted to get an 18650 powered xml light to go with the Magicshine and the Viz 360, and couldn't decide between the single mode and 5 mode. So I bought both (at $15 each it was easy) and some spare batteries too. I ended up with not only redundancy, but different lights that work better in different situations that allow me to reduce my worries about running out of charged batteries.

  6. #56
    ouate de phoque dramiscram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St-Césaire, Qc, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
    Posts
    1,696
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5000 lumens lamp that run on 4x18650 battery pack. I can go for 4-5 hours between charges and I always carry a spare, full charge battery pack and I also carry a 3000 lumens lamp that run on a 2x18650 battery pack. So all is well for me but I have a question for those who are familiar with dynohubs. Is a dynohub able to power a 5000 lumens lamps? What is the max output of a dyno hub?
    Originally Posted by Leebo
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul. Just gear down and suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Headwinds are hills dipped in evil!
    Tabarnac de vent!!!

  7. #57
    Kitten Legion Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    I have a 5000 lumens lamp that run on 4x18650 battery pack. I can go for 4-5 hours between charges and I always carry a spare, full charge battery pack and I also carry a 3000 lumens lamp that run on a 2x18650 battery pack. So all is well for me but I have a question for those who are familiar with dynohubs. Is a dynohub able to power a 5000 lumens lamps? What is the max output of a dyno hub?
    I bet $$ that isn't a 5000 lumen light.

  8. #58
    ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    I bought one for the heck of it, not that I need anymore lights.

    The quality is superb. Extremely lightweight. The o-ring mount is very sturdy. Although I prefer quick release mounts so I changed it.




    Here's a photo another forumer took.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...es-876449.html

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cheap Chinese/Dealextreme Cree lights are often half the lumen at best. I have a tiny Fenix flashlight that runs on a CR123a battery with 180 lumens i usually strap to my helmet. Barely noticeable but have a really nice beam lights up most roads.

  10. #60
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was looking at those cree lights - user photos look promising.

    M.

  11. #61
    "Per Ardua ad Surly" nelson249's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use several lights and wear a yellow reflective jacket. On the bar I use a 1 LED Cat Eye that uses 2 AA cells on flash mode and then a Light and Motion Stella 150 beside it on solid. If I am riding someplace especially dark I might also use my old Halogen helmet light. On the rear I have a PB superflash, a Portland Design flashing red and another helmet mounted one. Most of my commuting is on streets with some ambient lights so I don't necessarily always go whole hog with the forward facing lights.
    1997 Mongoose Hilltopper, 1988 Bianchi Specialissima, 2006 Surly Cross-Check, 2010 Norco City Glide, 1947 CCM Single-speed.

    "Take him to the forge and show him the instruments"
    Bernardo Gui, Inquisitor The Name of the Rose

  12. #62
    Senior Member GeneO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am planning on commuting some through trails. I am going to try one of these 1000 lumen Lezyne Mega drive lights. Battery is contained in the light.

    http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Drive-L...s=lezyne+light
    2012 Felt F55X

  13. #63
    Señior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,776
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of O rings because I have a 1000 lumen light that I like to run on strobe mode during the day. I like to tip it down a bit. Also I sometimes adjust things a bit if I'm in hilly areas and am likely to be shoving the beam directly into oncoming driver's eyes when I'm topping hills.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  14. #64
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,553
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
    What is the max output of a dyno hub?
    Officially, 6 volts AC, 3 watts.

    Unofficially, some folks claim that with home-brew electronics, they can get 10 watts out of them. Still 6 VAC.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  15. #65
    Senior Member bhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik
    Posts
    1,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droy45 View Post
    I like these nightrider lights. USB rechargeable, solid mount and easy to remove for charging or use as a flashlight if you need to change a flat or stop and still be seen. I don't like dynamos as they usually go out when you stop. Last many hours on a single charge. I charge mine off my laptop when I arrive .Attachment 339533
    This is what I use, a Lumina 650. It's pricy, but it's brighter than my magic shine was and doesn't have the ultra annoying external battery pack. It uses the same charge connector as my phone, so bonus. I attach mine to my helmet.

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    N+1=4
    Posts
    1,503
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Officially, 6 volts AC, 3 watts.

    Unofficially, some folks claim that with home-brew electronics, they can get 10 watts out of them. Still 6 VAC.
    Not knowing much about that particular set up, but I'd think if you could get 3X the power out of it, you'd be running the components in the hub in a manner that would contribute to their early failure.

    J.

  17. #67
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,553
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Not knowing much about that particular set up, but I'd think if you could get 3X the power out of it, you'd be running the components in the hub in a manner that would contribute to their early failure.
    Not necessarily. The limitation is legal/regulatory as opposed to technological.

    German traffic law is the strictest in the world for both automobile and bicycle lighting systems. For bicycles, at least, the regs are known as StVZO/TA. All the dynamo manufacturers I can think of make their dynamos (either hub or bottle) compliant with StVZO/TA. Many of the better dynamo-powered lights do as well.

    Most of the regulations apply for speeds between 10 and 15 km/h (6-9 mph). (This is one of my beefs with StVZO/TA.) As you go faster, the hub creates more juice. This extra power is regulated away. Over 20 mph, I can feel it as a buzz or vibration in my bars. In other words, the power is there, it's just that commercial lighting products are not allowed to use it if they want to be compliant with StVZO/TA, so they dump it back to ground.

    See Bicycle lighting in StVZO/TA. Scroll down a bit to the section titled, "Elaborations on the requirements: what they mean, how they limit what manufacturers can make, and more"

    This page, Dynamo-Powered LED Light Circuits for Bicycles, has circuit diagrams and parts lists you can use to home-brew lights in excess of those commercially available. It's something I can't do, so I'm stuck with the commercial stuff.
    Last edited by tsl; 10-05-13 at 07:18 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    N+1=4
    Posts
    1,503
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Not necessarily. The limitation is legal/regulatory as opposed to technological.

    German traffic law is the strictest in the world for both automobile and bicycle lighting systems. For bicycles, at least, the regs are known as StVZO/TA. All the dynamo manufacturers I can think of make their dynamos (either hub or bottle) compliant with StVZO/TA. Many of the better dynamo-powered lights do as well.

    Most of the regulations apply for speeds between 10 and 15 km/h (6-9 mph). (This is one of my beefs with StVZO/TA.) As you go faster, the hub creates more juice. This extra power is regulated away. Over 20 mph, I can feel it as a buzz or vibration in my bars. In other words, the power is there, it's just that commercial lighting products are not allowed to use it if they want to be compliant with StVZO/TA, so they dump it back to ground.

    See Bicycle lighting in StVZO/TA. Scroll down a bit to the section titled, "Elaborations on the requirements: what they mean, how they limit what manufacturers can make, and more"

    This page, Dynamo-Powered LED Light Circuits for Bicycles, has circuit diagrams and parts lists you can use to home-brew lights in excess of those commercially available. It's something I can't do, so I'm stuck with the commercial stuff.
    Yes, I understand all of that (I'm an electrical engineer).

    A dynamo is not an infinite source of power. Presuming it was designed for these markets, it was designed ultimately with the 3W limit in mind. That, plus some engineering margin - say 10-40% or so, is likely what it was designed to provide not a 300% increase. And these circuits have no information on the dynamo itself and it's specs. Could work and it might be reliable, just saying it's worth some caution. Reliability is where it most likely would fall down. Right now, it's a known unknown. That's all I'm saying.

    Then again, I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to go to all this effort when there are a lot of lighting choices around that solve this problem without the need for modification. There is the hobbyist motivation, I suppose.

    On the issue of government regulation - it seems to me the Netherlands have the right idea (essentially stay out of it) compared to the Germans. Bike lights are not a problem. We may approach that in the future as the technology improves, but almost with exception it's not a problem.

    J.

  19. #69
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine that, eventually, the generator would be producing enough to burn out components, should there be no failsafe for that. I remember catching resistors on fire in electronics so many years ago.

    M.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Commuter
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newb commuter, and have only used this product for the past 2 months, but I did a bunch of research and decided on the frictionless magnetic induction method of generating electricity using the Reelight RL770. Got the full kit for around $78 US. I can only think of the PROS, and can't think of a single CON, except maybe the added weight of 1.5 lbs. max, which is well worth the peace of mind.

    http://reelights.com/shop/index.php?...roller=product

    The most important part to me was that the lights are always on (as long as the wheel is spinning) which means you will never forget the batteries nor forget to USB recharge, and you won't spend time keeping track of that battery/recharge equipment. There's a built in capacitor that allows the tail light to stay on for 4 minutes after the bike comes to a stop, which is important at an intersection or stop sign. The whole thing mounted very easily, and the gap between the magnets on the spokes and the receiver is nice and wide and forgiving, maybe a 1/2 inch.

    BTW: This Commuting forum and archives have helped me a bunch, as well as keep me motivated. Many thanks to all who have come before me.
    Last edited by Riveting; 10-08-13 at 12:10 PM.

  21. #71
    Let's Ride! RidingMatthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC USA
    My Bikes
    --07 Scott S40 Speedster --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Posts
    852
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ordered this light from FASTECH and got shipping notification on Sept 24th still have received nothing and no further tracking information. REALLY REALLY NEED THIS LIGHT TO COME IN.... IT IS DARK !
    You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. C. S. Lewis

  22. #72
    Junior Member thedudeabidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Stupjumper, KHS Flite 800
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been running a NR Mini-Newt, and while it was pricey ($100), it's adequate for the city commute I do and runs for days without a recharge. If I was to do it again, I would probably get something with at least 750 lumens, though. The mini-newt doesn't keep up with a good rolling pace.

    I really want to take the jump and get the dynahub, but I don't have the cash for that right now.

  23. #73
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Yes, I understand all of that (I'm an electrical engineer).

    A dynamo is not an infinite source of power. Presuming it was designed for these markets, it was designed ultimately with the 3W limit in mind. That, plus some engineering margin - say 10-40% or so, is likely what it was designed to provide not a 300% increase. And these circuits have no information on the dynamo itself and it's specs. Could work and it might be reliable, just saying it's worth some caution. Reliability is where it most likely would fall down. Right now, it's a known unknown. That's all I'm saying.

    Then again, I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to go to all this effort when there are a lot of lighting choices around that solve this problem without the need for modification. There is the hobbyist motivation, I suppose.

    On the issue of government regulation - it seems to me the Netherlands have the right idea (essentially stay out of it) compared to the Germans. Bike lights are not a problem. We may approach that in the future as the technology improves, but almost with exception it's not a problem.

    J.
    They're made to a price point first and foremost. A new Shimano dynamo hub is less than €25. So, it's probably cheaper to overbuild the specs with lower quality materials and then down regulate the Amps.

    Everyone else can stay out of it because the Germans control almost all EU regulation ... including bike lights. Without German regulations, we'd still have expensive and poorly engineered dynamo lighting system (or the junk that one sees in the US like Magic Shines.)
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,234
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, cheap chinese lights are heavy, ugly, bulky, and have crap batteries. Did I mention that they were heavy? 400-500 gms is a freaking boat anchor!

    My current favorite is the ~$65 cygolite metro which now provides 500 lumens at a total weight of 110 gm. I run it on high and it's just as bright as the ebay "1000 lumen" light that sits unused in a drawer.
    This is why motorists hate us, and why I've given up riding on the road...You should be ashamed yourself, and you should be reviled by cyclists everywhere.

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    N+1=4
    Posts
    1,503
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    They're made to a price point first and foremost. A new Shimano dynamo hub is less than €25. So, it's probably cheaper to overbuild the specs with lower quality materials and then down regulate the Amps.
    Typically not the case so I doubt it.

    Everyone else can stay out of it because the Germans control almost all EU regulation ... including bike lights. Without German regulations, we'd still have expensive and poorly engineered dynamo lighting system (or the junk that one sees in the US like Magic Shines.)
    The market forces (i.e. return on investment) have to be there or no one builds anything no matter what the regulations are.


    J.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •