Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   New BSO long-term test! (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/916937-new-bso-long-term-test.html)

bigbenaugust 04-11-14 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaninar (Post 16661780)
Mule (the "winter" bike) got stolen today.

:cry:

I'm sorry.

RaleighSport 04-11-14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaninar (Post 16661780)
Mule (the "winter" bike) got stolen today.

sorry to hear.. but all I can think is EXTERMINATE THE THIEVES! Now if only it were that easy and straight forward...

Oh and I'm almost ready to play.
Today 30 miles
Bike cost: 30 dollars (pretty much everything came from the bin)
So $1.00=1 mile today.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps8a168434.jpg

Slaninar 04-11-14 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaleighSport (Post 16663072)
sorry to hear.. but all I can think is EXTERMINATE THE THIEVES! Now if only it were that easy and straight forward...

Nice looking ride!


As far as thieves go - poor bastards taking whatever they can to get heroin. Can't blame them. It's my fault for not having it locked better and for riding expensive bike for running errands in the first place. Idiot.

acidfast7 04-15-14 08:46 AM

Wow! That sucks.

Lose one entry and gain another.

I'm in China at the moment and I think these guys have all of us beat by at least an order of magnitude. Actually, most of the taxis are VW sedans with 500k km on the clock.

The number of e-bikes and e-scooters is staggering, especially in urban areas where chargers are everywhere for 10 RMB. Never seen so many silent scooters. The drawback is that they often don't use the lights at night because it drains the battery :-/

Sorry for the loss of such a great steed to a thief :(

I assume that's how the life of my bike will be concluded as well :(

Slaninar 04-15-14 09:53 AM

Summerizing the winter ride. Cost so far: 15e for a pair of summer tyres, 15 e for a new front wheel and 10e for a front brake. 0 km. :)

wphamilton 04-15-14 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16672548)
Wow! That sucks.

Lose one entry and gain another.

I'm in China at the moment and I think these guys have all of us beat by at least an order of magnitude. Actually, most of the taxis are VW sedans with 500k km on the clock.

The number of e-bikes and e-scooters is staggering, especially in urban areas where chargers are everywhere for 10 RMB. Never seen so many silent scooters. The drawback is that they often don't use the lights at night because it drains the battery :-/

Sorry for the loss of such a great steed to a thief :(

I assume that's how the life of my bike will be concluded as well :(

It wouldn't surprise me since I know that I for one have been a little slack in my spending. I'm in the neighborhood of 5 cents/m btw on the Nashbar frame build I did 2 years ago.

RaleighSport 04-18-14 03:46 PM

Rough week, only racked up another 50 miles.
80 miles/30 dollars.
Rounded up, 38 cents a mile so far.

acidfast7 04-24-14 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
back from China!

update from everyone?

Slaninar: did you modernise your winter bike for summer use, or visa versa?

stats:

1426km/886mi
468/$737 total
0.32/km
€0.40/km
$0.83/mi

goal is to catch up to the ratios of bigbenaugust:

8703km/5409mi
267/$446
3.0p/km
8.24/mi

***others send me an update (including reasonable time cost/parts bin costs ... whatever you want can go here ... just want to confirm!)***

photos:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376487

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376488

RaleighSport 04-25-14 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16699607)
back from China!

update from everyone?

Slaninar: did you modernise your winter bike for summer use, or visa versa?

stats:

1426km/886mi
468/$737 total
0.32/km
€0.40/km
$0.83/mi

goal is to catch up to the ratios of bigbenaugust:

8703km/5409mi
267/$446
3.0p/km
8.24/mi

***others send me an update (including reasonable time cost/parts bin costs ... whatever you want can go here ... just want to confirm!)***

photos:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376487

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376488

PM sent :innocent:

Slaninar 04-25-14 08:29 AM

Needed new wheels, tyres, front brake, brake lever, cable and housing. Around 60 euros all added up. Need a new seat as well. 0 km so far - got some flue so stayed in bed and used car to work and back.

acidfast7 04-25-14 04:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
sorry others: in a rush this weekend, could you give me your values in a format like below :)

stats:

1445km/898mi
468/$737 total
0.32/km
€0.39/km
$0.82/mi

goal is to catch up to the ratios of bigbenaugust:

8703km/5409mi
267/$446
3.0p/km
8.24/mi

photos:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376644

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376645

Slaninar 04-25-14 11:50 PM

60 e
0 km

= Infinite e per km! :)

I'M RICH! :D


I'll post a picture these days. It's not a real BSO - bike is from 1996, when they made those cheap things work. So it has cheap friction shifters, Shimano, but they work bomb proof winter, summer...

Brakes are also cheap, plastic, but they stop the bike. I replaced the broken front for a v-brake, some no-name cheap, but good working (it cost 5e with the lever).


It needs a good seat and some decent pedals, I guess that will cost another 20-30 e for a decent saddle and some 20 e for good platform BMX style pedals that don's slip in the rain. Seat soon, and pedals in autumn.


EDIT: here's the pic of the gaycycle :)

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...psbfa97502.jpg

fietsbob 04-26-14 11:05 AM

I like the Abus Bordo lock I have on my .. nicer than a BSO Bike Friday .. It sits right on top of the frames main tube.

Locks to the sign on the corner while I socialize with my fellow Pub-mates :beer:

acidfast7 04-26-14 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16703860)
I like the Abus Bordo lock I have on my .. nicer than a BSO Bike Friday .. It sits right on top of the frames main tube.

Locks to the sign on the corner while I socialize with my fellow Pub-mates :beer:

I love the Bordo as well ... easy to get in Germany and good for the biergarten!

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376728

acidfast7 04-28-14 02:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
stats:

1464km/909mi
468/$737 total
0.32/km
€0.39/km
$0.81/mi

goal is to catch up to the ratios of bigbenaugust:

8703km/5409mi
267/$446
3.0p/km
8.24/mi

photos:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377127

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377128

TransitBiker 04-28-14 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16147209)
When you do your cost comparison, you shouldn't consider your other car ownership costs, unless your bicycle will allow you to get rid of the automobile. You will have those car ownership costs regardless of your bicycle use.

How long will it take you to bicycle to work and will the type of bike make much difference in the commute?

I believe Google has a cost comparison per trip. A trip from Newtown to langhorne station is something like $2.25 on transit, and 3.45 driving. Based on average MPG, distance, and time spent not moving, it's pretty spot on. Car is more expensive & that's JUST fuel. On top you got inspection, insurance, wiper fluid, oil & oil filter change, tires, registration, and any possible parking fees. With cycle & transit, it's largely a up front cost, then a fixed per trip cost. This by nature is cheaper, as you're not paying anything & you can still ride.


- Andy

acidfast7 04-28-14 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
stats:

1483km/921mi
468/$737 total
0.32/km
€0.38/km
$0.80/mi

goal is to catch up to the ratios of bigbenaugust:

8703km/5409mi
267/$446
3.0p/km
8.24/mi

photos:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377251

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377252

acidfast7 04-30-14 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
stats:

1503km/934mi
468/$737 total
0.31/km
€0.38/km
$0.80/mi

goal is to catch up to the ratios of bigbenaugust:

8703km/5409mi
267/$446
3.0p/km
8.24/mi

photos:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=377492

Phil_gretz 04-30-14 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16634158)
there was a Halford's where I bought a Schwalbe Lugano (23 x 700) and a new tube and had it installed ... 8.99 for the 10 min service
!

You paid someone to install a tire and tube? #makesnosense

?????

acidfast7 04-30-14 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 16715434)
You paid someone to install a tire and tube? #makesnosense

?????

:(

I became late for a critical meeting and the store was walking distance from the end of the tire. Made sense. I had some coffee and looked at some other BSOs ... including a 79 MTB that was posted in this thread.

I also talked with the mech (an 18 yo kid) who was excited to work on a fixed gear.

Interestingly, the rim strip was of was high quality ... which is pleasing for a multicoloured fixed gear.

I pedalled off and met with the person that I missed before right after :)

It's good to have a proper German tire! They even had a 60mm presta valved Tube in stock :)

bigbenaugust 04-30-14 09:44 AM

I need to throw an updated in here.
A few weeks ago, I rammed my SSCX bike into a chain across a driveway in the pre-dawn twilight at speed. Everything is fine, my knee was messed up for a bit, but everything is okay. I saw the chain at the last second and had no time to react, and so hit it head-on, with the chain hitting the brake cable. Whether the chain stopped me or its pressure on the brakes I will never know. But while I was taking it easy riding my other CX bike and doing some paint repair on the SSCX bike, I put those other parts on it.

So, $60 in tires (700x37 WTB All-Terrains) and $6 in Nashbar camo bar tape...

9051km/5624mi
303.22/$512 (at today's rate)
3.3p/km
9.1/mi

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H...403_081625.jpg

I-Like-To-Bike 04-30-14 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16715469)
It's good to have a proper German tire! They even had a 60mm presta valved Tube in stock :)

But not a proper German (Dunlop valve) tube.
Dunlop valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wphamilton 05-03-14 02:41 PM

I just blew up my cost per mile this year. New wheelset @150, new tires $40, $20 for DIY fenders, & assorted mainentance, $220 spent and 1100 commute miles, = 20 cents/mile.

RaleighSport 05-04-14 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 16715521)
I need to throw an updated in here.
A few weeks ago, I rammed my SSCX bike into a chain across a driveway in the pre-dawn twilight at speed. Everything is fine, my knee was messed up for a bit, but everything is okay. I saw the chain at the last second and had no time to react, and so hit it head-on, with the chain hitting the brake cable. Whether the chain stopped me or its pressure on the brakes I will never know. But while I was taking it easy riding my other CX bike and doing some paint repair on the SSCX bike, I put those other parts on it.

So, $60 in tires (700x37 WTB All-Terrains) and $6 in Nashbar camo bar tape...

9051km/5624mi
303.22/$512 (at today's rate)
3.3p/km
9.1/mi

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H...403_081625.jpg

On the plus side it sounds like you're okay too! Ride safe out there!

DiegoFrogs 05-04-14 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16715589)
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16715469)
It's good to have a proper German tire! They even had a 60mm presta valved Tube in stock :)

But not a proper German (Dunlop valve) tube.
Dunlop valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know, until I moved to Sweden, I had only ever read about Dunlop valves. Then I had to read about them again when I put new tires on my old Finnish city bike, because I had no idea how to use them! I actually like them, though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 PM.