Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-14, 07:22 PM   #726
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
@acidfast7, I looked back at some randomly sampled posts in this thread, and not surprisingly, I see the cost/mile dropping, since the bike is so new. Mr. Money Mustache claims that the cost of owning a car is $0.50/mile. You're still above that. Any guesses as to how long this bike will last before it gets stolen or totaled or something?
To be fair to Acidfast7, I doubt that MMM's car cost/mile estimate is based on only driving a total of 1340 miles. If it MMM's estimate is anything like the commonly cited AAA estimates it is based on costs being spread over 75,000 miles or so.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 10:01 PM   #727
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
@acidfast7, I looked back at some randomly sampled posts in this thread, and not surprisingly, I see the cost/mile dropping, since the bike is so new. Mr. Money Mustache claims that the cost of owning a car is $0.50/mile. You're still above that. Any guesses as to how long this bike will last before it gets stolen or totaled or something?
Realistically, in a week or two, I'll be even with the cost of everything versus the bus (4.50/day). This will occur at about 125 days of commuting.

I would estimate that I'll average 170 days or about 2000 miles/year of commuting with an additional expenditure of about 300 USD/year.

Productions would be:

Year 1: 2000 miles / 1000 USD = 0.50 USD/mi
Year 2: 4000 miles / 1300 USD = 0.32 USD/mi
Year 3: 6000 miles / 1600 USD = 0.26 USD/mi
Year 4: 8000 miles / 1900 USD = 0.23 USD/mi
Year 5: 10000 miles / 2200 USD = 0.22 USD/mi

I think that I'd hit an asymptotic value of roughly 0.20 USD/mi.

But, I will continue and we should have some empirical data!
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 10:18 PM   #728
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 9,650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Realistically, in a week or two, I'll be even with the cost of everything versus the bus (4.50/day). This will occur at about 125 days of commuting.

I would estimate that I'll average 170 days or about 2000 miles/year of commuting with an additional expenditure of about 300 USD/year.

Productions would be:

Year 1: 2000 miles / 1000 USD = 0.50 USD/mi
Year 2: 4000 miles / 1300 USD = 0.32 USD/mi
Year 3: 6000 miles / 1600 USD = 0.26 USD/mi
Year 4: 8000 miles / 1900 USD = 0.23 USD/mi
Year 5: 10000 miles / 2200 USD = 0.22 USD/mi

I think that I'd hit an asymptotic value of roughly 0.20 USD/mi.

But, I will continue and we should have some empirical data!
I'm skeptical of that since consumables shouldn't be anywhere near $300 for that mileage and you're really not likely to go through wheels that quickly.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 10:22 PM   #729
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I'm skeptical of that since consumables shouldn't be anywhere near $300 for that mileage and you're really not likely to go through wheels that quickly.
one tire is 50 USD MRSP and they'll last around 4000 miles or so. that's one per year alone.

maybe I am wrong, but that's why it should be done ... it is an interesting experiment.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 06:39 AM   #730
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,875
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Where is the bike when you work? Do you shop with it, and if so, where do you secure it?
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 08:40 AM   #731
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
To be fair to Acidfast7, I doubt that MMM's car cost/mile estimate is based on only driving a total of 1340 miles. If it MMM's estimate is anything like the commonly cited AAA estimates it is based on costs being spread over 75,000 miles or so.
Also almost all putatively reliable car cost per mile estimates depreciate the purchase price over a 3 or 5 year period, and factor in the trade-in value at the end of the 3 or 5 year period. Acidfast7 has included the entire purchase price at mile one, i.e 100% depreciation on day one.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 03:46 PM   #732
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
Where is the bike when you work? Do you shop with it, and if so, where do you secure it?
We have a shared faculty bike locker, where one has to "rent" a key for a 10 deposit. Then, I use the U-lock inside of the shared bike locker. I lock it up in front of the market or pub when I use those facilities. It lives inside of my flat overnight.

Why do you ask?
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 03:48 PM   #733
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Also almost all putatively reliable car cost per mile estimates depreciate the purchase price over a 3 or 5 year period, and factor in the trade-in value at the end of the 3 or 5 year period. Acidfast7 has included the entire purchase price at mile one, i.e 100% depreciation on day one.
I can't really buy a bicycle on payments (or lease one). The entire cost at the beginning, therefore, seemed more reasonable. Or not?
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 08:17 PM   #734
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,875
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
We have a shared faculty bike locker, where one has to "rent" a key for a 10 deposit. Then, I use the U-lock inside of the shared bike locker. I lock it up in front of the market or pub when I use those facilities. It lives inside of my flat overnight.

Why do you ask?
It's a matter of time before a bike is stolen. Just trying to figure your odds. You sound fairly safe, though. Here in NYC, some people can only keep a bike for a couple of years on average.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 10:06 PM   #735
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,128
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
It's a matter of time before a bike is stolen. Just trying to figure your odds. You sound fairly safe, though. Here in NYC, some people can only keep a bike for a couple of years on average.
My average has been 5 years, but yes- they all get stolen at some point.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 11:15 PM   #736
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I can't really buy a bicycle on payments (or lease one). The entire cost at the beginning, therefore, seemed more reasonable. Or not?
Not. Method of purchase (cash or credit) is immaterial for depreciation purposes or figuring average cost per mile over a length of time for a car or bike. Presumably your bike still has some value when you rolled it out of the store. It will also have some value at the end of the evaluation/test period which should be factored in when computing cost/mile. Your "mistake" is in trying to compute cost/mile at an early point of your "test." Counting total purchase price over such a short distance skews the cost/mi far in excess of what will be seen in time after a normal ownership period.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 11:17 PM   #737
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
My average has been 5 years, but yes- they all get stolen at some point.
Guess I'm overdue, I've owned and ridden bikes for 61 years including many in stick fingered Philadelphia and never had one stolen. I did once have a small accessory bag stolen from a bike parked outside my hotel in Gouda, NL.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 11:23 PM   #738
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,128
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Guess I'm overdue, I've owned and ridden bikes for 61 years including many in stick fingered Philadelphia and never had one stolen. I did once have a small accessory bag stolen from a bike parked outside my hotel in Gouda, NL.
I stand corrected: many bikes that are left locked outside get stolen at some point. Better?

I use bicycles as a means of transport. That means locking them up in front of market places, banks, work, pubs etc. In around 30 years I've had 4 bicycles stolen.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 11:28 PM   #739
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
I stand corrected: many bikes that are left locked outside get stolen at some point. Better?

I use bicycles as a means of transport. That means locking them up in front of market places, banks, work, pubs etc. In around 30 years I've had 4 bicycles stolen.
Better.

I also have used a bicycle for for years for transport all over. Still do.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 12:05 AM   #740
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,875
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You may not live long to have a bike stolen, which means it will be stolen after you die.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 12:59 AM   #741
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,128
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Better.

I also have used a bicycle for for years for transport all over. Still do.
Then you must be the one stealing all the bicycles!
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 01:53 AM   #742
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess this line of discourse begs the question I was contemplating before I bought the bike in the first place. I surveyed the facilities as work and at home and made the estimate that if I locked it if outside overnight, it would last about 5 years, while I'd make it about 10 years if locked inside. I considered the life of the bicycle over when it was cheaper to replace then to repair.

As far as the initial cost, in my opinion it was necessary to have the bike in my possession before starting the calculation, therefore I front loaded the costs of bike and equipment (minus the helmet and clothing I already had). That way, a bicyclist would see the true cost of bicycle ownership and how long it would take to hit the magic cross-over point where every mi after a certain distance was "free."

For more that will be roughly 125 round-trip commutes or around 9 or 10 months of commuting.

If we're assessing the ability of a bike to be used as replacement for a car/bus, this seemed like a more accurte predictor of true costs, as most don't by bikes with a payment system.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 03:35 AM   #743
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 9,650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
That's how I looked at it. Cost of bike and maintenance vs cost of driving were equal for me at 5 months. After that it was just cost of maintenance.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 02:24 PM   #744
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
added:

1 set of front bake pads: 3.99
1 wrap with electrical/isolation tape 1 for the roll (ghetto but cheap and will last until I dump the bike this winter on the other side and replace all bar tape).

stats:

2177km/1352mi
544/$865 total
0.24/km
€0.31/km
$0.63/mi

photos:





Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2961.jpg (95.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2963.jpg (91.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2962.jpg (57.6 KB, 6 views)
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 02:05 PM   #745
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stats:

2197km/1365mi
544/$865 total
0.24/km
€0.31/km
$0.63/mi

photos:



Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2964.jpg (97.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2965.jpg (95.5 KB, 1 views)
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 02:09 PM   #746
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
round-trip bus fare: 4.70/day
number of days required to break even: 544 / 4.70 = 115.7
current number of round-trip commutes completed: 1365mi/11.8mi/commute = 115.6

NEXT COMMUTE WILL BE THE BREAK-EVEN COMMUTE!

wish be luck ... at that point, I will add a money saved statistic
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 01:56 AM   #747
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stats:

2216km/1376mi
544/$865 total
0.24/km
€0.30/km
$0.62/mi
net money saved (bus fare saved minus running costs): 4.70

photos:



Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2966.jpg (94.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2968.jpg (66.0 KB, 3 views)
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 09:48 AM   #748
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,875
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Congratulations!

And thank you for your datageekiness.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 10:20 AM   #749
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
Congratulations!

And thank you for your datageekiness.
Thanks! I'm quite happy.

When the savings gets high enough, I'll go on holiday!
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 05:04 PM   #750
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stats:

2235km/1388mi
544/$865 total
0.24/km
€0.30/km
$0.62/mi
net money saved (bus fare saved minus running costs): 9.40

photos:



Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2970.jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2971.jpg (96.8 KB, 3 views)
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.