Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   All weather commuting - brake pad choice? (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/919720-all-weather-commuting-brake-pad-choice.html)

alex jb 11-21-13 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16265880)
lack of supporting the local community?

exactly what he said!
I do buy and sell on eBay, but I like to buy local too if I can, especially consumables that are within 10-20% of the eBay price.

treal512 11-21-13 04:23 PM

I need help.

I have an '89 Miele Azsora road bike with Shimano SLR single-pivot sidepulls and I'm unsure of what model of Kool Stop Salmon brake pads to get. I've looked at various websites and I'm a little overwhelmed with the number of KS brake pads available. Some are red, black, thin, long, etc. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I do know that I would like to get some better brake pads to improve my braking performance and I'm willing to spend some money to do it. Also, I spoke with a sales rep. earlier today and he recommended I purchase these KS brake pads: KS Continental Salmon link. I use my bicycle for M-F commuting, 35-60mi rides on the weekend, and the occasional light tour. Here is a picture of my front brake if it helps at all:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps6186a7bf.jpg

Thanks! I'm planning to re-cable, smooth my rims, and give my braking system a complete overhaul.

treal512 11-22-13 03:06 PM

Anyone? I know I'm piggybacking the thread a little, but it's pretty relevant IMO! Please halps!

I'm ready to order and get all my parts together so I can revamp my braking system this winter break.

Ghost Ryder 11-22-13 03:41 PM

*********
Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16269705)
Anyone? I know I'm piggybacking the thread a little, but it's pretty relevant IMO! Please halps!

I'm ready to order and get all my parts together so I can revamp my braking system this winter break.

Look like your using road calipers, only one size fits.

treal512 11-22-13 03:56 PM

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ticons/017.gif

noglider 11-22-13 04:47 PM

I disagree. I think the Continentals are just what the doctor ordered.

spare_wheel 11-22-13 05:39 PM

if you ride under wet grimy conditions koolstop salmon pads grind down rims just as fast as any other pad. in fact, i switched to disc brakes in '06 because i was effing tired of buying new wheels every 2 years or so. (i exclusively used kool stop salmon and still have them on the back wheel of my "B" commuter)

treal512 11-22-13 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16270013)
I disagree. I think the Continentals are just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for the feedback. So the Continentals would work and are good for me? I am getting the impression that these are the only Salmons that I can use with my particular brake caliper. Is this true? I ask because I'm somewhat interested in the dual compound pads, but don't mind getting the Continentals. I just want to know what my options are. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spare_wheel (Post 16270130)
if you ride under wet grimy conditions koolstop salmon pads grind down rims just as fast as any other pad. in fact, i switched to disc brakes in '06 because i was effing tired of buying new wheels every 2 years or so. (i exclusively used kool stop salmon and still have them on the back wheel of my "B" commuter)

Maybe, but can any traditional brake pad avoid this phenomenon? I don't think anyone is against disc brakes, but are you suggesting that all commuters ditch their pad braking bicycles and buy disc braking bicycles?

dynaryder 11-22-13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16270175)
So the Continentals would work and are good for me? I am getting the impression that these are the only Salmons that I can use with my particular brake caliper. Is this true? I ask because I'm somewhat interested in the dual compound pads, but don't mind getting the Continentals. I just want to know what my options are.

The long pads are for V/canti brakes;they would hit the inside of the fork legs and prevent you from properly opening the brake if you tried to use them on your sidepulls. Pretty sure you could also use these if you wanted to go with cartridges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16270175)
Maybe, but can any traditional brake pad avoid this phenomenon?

Nope. Rim brakes wear your rims,how fast is determined by riding conditions,rim thickness,and pad material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16270175)
I don't think anyone is against disc brakes, but are you suggesting that all commuters ditch their pad braking bicycles and buy disc braking bicycles?

Sure,why not? :p

Lain 11-22-13 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The best of the best...

Kool-Stop Dual Compound Mountain Pads for Linear Pull Brakes Threaded

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=352121

Amazon.com link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No waste there...

noglider 11-22-13 07:34 PM

I can't say for sure what will or won't fit. You could try. I haven't noticed differences between the various compounds, but I like them very much. Kool Stop are the only brand I buy.

Ghost Ryder 11-22-13 07:40 PM

I use my Sentiero that has disc brakes.
Have Koolstop, salmon's(rear)/dual compound(front) on my road bikes,used mostly in dry conditions. Salmons are nice but soft, so they wear faster.

cyccommute 11-23-13 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lain (Post 16270229)
The best of the best...

Kool-Stop Dual Compound Mountain Pads for Linear Pull Brakes Threaded

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=352121

Amazon.com link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No waste there...

Yup

spare_wheel 11-23-13 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16270175)
Maybe, but can any traditional brake pad avoid this phenomenon?

just responding to the prevailing mythology that ks salmons do not do cause rim wear.

dynaryder 11-23-13 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lain (Post 16270229)
Kool-Stop Dual Compound Mountain Pads for Linear Pull Brakes Threaded

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 16270208)
The long pads are for V/canti brakes;they would hit the inside of the fork legs and prevent you from properly opening the brake if you tried to use them on your sidepulls.

Did you see the pic in post 27? Good chance those won't work right.

Ghost Ryder 11-23-13 05:19 PM

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-726/k...012&f=10+50138

Road caliper...
:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16269862)


Lain 11-23-13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 16272340)
Did you see the pic in post 27? Good chance those won't work right.

My bad, didn't remember about the road calipers, but Kool-Stop pads are the bomb, I'd go with the dual compound for all weather conditions.

tim24k 11-24-13 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slcbob (Post 16265529)
I prefer discs and don't always use rim brakes in the wet, but when I do, I prefer Koolstop Salmon.

+1

treal512 12-04-13 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Just wanted to show you all what I got!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps324886e1.jpg

I'll be tuning up my whole braking system this winter break once finals are over. I'm super stoked about it!!

Ghost Ryder 12-04-13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treal512 (Post 16301141)
Thanks for all the help guys. Just wanted to show you all what I got!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps324886e1.jpg

I'll be tuning up my whole braking system this winter break once finals are over. I'm super stoked about it!!

:thumb:

Good luck with your finals!

fietsbob 12-04-13 03:41 PM

The advantage of the continental is the straight forward, stud and nut fitting.
but buy-ing the upscale replaceable insert pad and holder combo is OK too,

wear that down and you just have to get the rubber insert , next time..

Ghost Ryder 12-04-13 03:48 PM

Nice thing is that package comes with spares.
He/she won't have to worry about buying replacements for a while.

gregjones 12-04-13 03:54 PM

Those shoes come with dual compound and salmon pads. You get to try them both first hand.

treal512 12-04-13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder (Post 16301167)
:thumb:

Good luck with your finals!

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16301286)
The advantage of the continental is the straight forward, stud and nut fitting.
but buy-ing the upscale replaceable insert pad and holder combo is OK too,

wear that down and you just have to get the rubber insert , next time..

I'm sure the Continentals would have been fine, but the dual compound pad combination really did it for me. Plus I don't mind properly dialing in the new pads. I've never done brake work before either, so it should prove relatively challenging and rewarding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder (Post 16301306)
Nice thing is that package comes with spares.
He/she won't have to worry about buying replacements for a while.

Hopefully the full Salmon pads brake as well as the combos. Worst case I'll put the Salmons on the rear caliper and continue to buy combo pad replacements for the front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregjones (Post 16301324)
Those shoes come with dual compound and salmon pads. You get to try them both first hand.

Good idea. Maybe I'll go back and forth a little to see how they hold up :thumb:

Ghost Ryder 12-04-13 05:06 PM

They'll fit, & its simple to install these guys, just plug, & play.
I use the dual compound up front, & the salmons in the rear.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 AM.