Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 134
  1. #51
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    What you mean is you can try to sell a used bike for what you paid for it. The vast majority of bikes being sold are being sold by the surviving spouses at garage sales or through co-ops. How many people plan to sell something after they have used it X years? Why is the re-sale value of a bicycle important? It isn't. Bicycles are a terrible investment. So are cars. Art, jewelry... now you're talking. Buy a bike because you like it, not because you think you can convince someone to pay you what you paid for it after you've used it for X years.

    H
    If you buy a 15 year old bike, use it for a year, and decide you want a new higher end bike you darn well should be able to get roughly the same out of it for resale. If not you spent too much buying it in the first place. Bikes of decent quality tend to hit a floor when it comes to resale price, so if you buy it near that price you can more than likely resell it near that price. I'm not saying it's an investment (that would imply that you will MAKE money off the resale) I'm saying you can likely recoup close to the same money if you decide to resell because you either don't want a bike any more or you want a nicer bike.

    By the way, jewelry is a horrible investment...

  2. #52
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Note to o.p. If you buy a bike from Wal-Mart. Buy it in the box. Assemble it yourself or get a friend to do it.
    This is one of the biggest problems with XMart bikes: they were put together by people who don't know how to put bikes together. IF you can put it together well and IF you can maintain it, then it may work out for you.

    I would recommend against buying anything with suspension at Walmart unless you're really going to do off-roading (or, err, converting it to a Cruzbike recumbent, but that's another story) and even then, I'd probably avoid it.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  3. #53
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Ok. I'm going to tell my Wal-Mart story. The issue as I see it, is that Wal-Mart's reputation comes more from the reaction people have to their business practices, and not to any real negative experience with actual Wal-Mart products. Most of you telling the o.p. to stay away from Wally World bikes have never owned one!
    In addition, besides the stereotypical bicycling enthusiast's snobbery/elitism directed towards "unworthy" bicycles/bicyclists, (IMO) there is the issue that much of the venomous hot air comes from posters who are directly, or emotionally, involved with the profitability, or lack of same, of local bike stores.

  4. #54
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    In addition, besides the stereotypical bicycling enthusiast's snobbery/elitism directed towards "unworthy" bicycles/bicyclists, (IMO) there is the issue that much of the venomous hot air comes from posters who are directly, or emotionally, involved with the profitability, or lack of same, of local bike stores.
    IDK. Many people who hate on Walmart tell people to check out Bikes Direct as an alternative. It's the venomous hot air towards BD that comes from the LBS mafia.

  5. #55
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern CaliFORNIA.
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,950
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without reading all three pages of this, I will make a guess that most advise against getting a Wally. Add me to that group.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

  6. #56
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    IDK. Many people who hate on Walmart tell people to check out Bikes Direct as an alternative. It's the venomous hot air towards BD that comes from the LBS mafia.
    Probably the same reason is involved with both of these hatefests towards non LBS new bike sales.

    Note: "LBS mafia", I like it.

  7. #57
    Senior Member rebel1916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Probably the same reason is involved with both of these hatefests towards non LBS new bike sales.

    Note: "LBS mafia", I like it.
    Yeah, I think if someone is looking to ride a bike path once a week with their young uns, they should buy whatever. Someone specifically looking to commute should be warned off the wally world stuff though.

  8. #58
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    Yeah, I think if someone is looking to ride a bike path once a week with their young uns, they should buy whatever. Someone specifically looking to commute should be warned off the wally world stuff though.
    Sure , maybe so. Conversely, someone looking to ride a bike path once a week with their young uns, or some other casual use should be warned about the recommendations and negative waves emanating from the LBS mafia.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,778
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute on a $125 Trek 7000 from 1990 that I bought on eBay. The difference is that I knew exactly what I was getting, and knew that whatever work would be needed I could do myself. The tight BB I repacked, same with the hubs just because I could. I lubed the chain, replaced the front shifter (thanks to a BF member that had a spare). When I noticed a distinct wobble when riding I found that there were about 10 loose spokes on the rear wheel, which I tightened and then trued the entire wheel getting all the spokes to reasonable tension. For all of this, I spent $0. The bike purrs now as I ride it. I only spent additional money on new tires.

    For a newbie to buy a CL or eBay bike though can be trouble. Everything I just described is a trip to the shop.

    What I'd recommend though, as others have pointed out, is to go to a bike shop. I bought my wife a Specialized Vita for $500 and it is a perfect beginner bike. It came with a full tune up within the first year. The shop had 3 or 4 different bikes for her to try, the Specialized, Trek, Giant, and another I can't remember. All were about the same quality, the Vita fit the best. Before we left the shop, they had the mechanic go through a checklist to make sure everything was just right. That full tune-up was never cashed in because it just didn't need it, and the bike has been used a lot. That just won't happen at Wal-mart, and this service is worth a lot more than you think.

    And I don't own a bike shop and never have and never will, I've never worked in one either.

  10. #60
    Still learning oddjob2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you can afford to live in the San Francisco area, then I would hope you have a few more bucks available to you than the average Wallyworld patron. In any event, while there are good buys on craigslist available for those who know what they are looking for or are willing to fix up a bike with deferred maintenance, the bay area market is very competitive and the great deals are scooped up immediately.

    I suggest you check out REI. They've been closing out the bike buying season since September, but there are still some VG values. Also, Publicbikes.com has had some killer sales of late and is right in SOMA.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, Miyata 912

  11. #61
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,806
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
    If you can afford to live in the San Francisco area, then I would hope you have a few more bucks available to you than the average Wallyworld patron. In any event, while there are good buys on craigslist available for those who know what they are looking for or are willing to fix up a bike with deferred maintenance, the bay area market is very competitive and the great deals are scooped up immediately.

    I suggest you check out REI. They've been closing out the bike buying season since September, but there are still some VG values. Also, Publicbikes.com has had some killer sales of late and is right in SOMA.

    I find this interesting that people think that because you live in San Francisco or New York City etc they can afford anything, actually that's not true. Sure they live in a high rent district but that's the problem, a huge percentage of their income goes towards the cost of renting or buying and leaves them with very little extra income to play with.

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,637
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    I find this interesting that people think that because you live in San Francisco or New York City etc they can afford anything, actually that's not true. Sure they live in a high rent district but that's the problem, a huge percentage of their income goes towards the cost of renting or buying and leaves them with very little extra income to play with.
    I find that interesting also. Some of the poorest people in the country live in NYC.

    H

  13. #63
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I find that interesting also. Some of the poorest people in the country live in NYC.

    H
    you should see London! most of my colleagues in the SE of England are looking at between 35 and 50% of net salary in rent

    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  14. #64
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,496
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting Biking on a wally world bike is like learning about Fine Cuisine at Micky D's.


    Though like 7, if only 1 gear , there's less to disappoint you.

  15. #65
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Starting Biking on a wally world bike is like learning about Fine Cuisine at Micky D's.


    Though like 7, if only 1 gear , there's less to disappoint you.
    I'm going to ride it until it kills me. Leaving the other bikes in Germany for quick jaunts to the Alps for some Radler!
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  16. #66
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,496
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yours was not bought from the Walton heirs world wide exploitation system.
    was it. ?

    because you didn't go into a wall* mart store to buy it.

  17. #67
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    yours was not bought from the Walton heirs world wide exploitation system.
    was it. ?

    because you didn't go into a wall* mart store to buy it.
    no, i didn't buy it at Halfords or Decathlon (which are excellent value for money).

    walmart tried to compete in Germany and couldn't because it was too inefficient (and thus too expensive compared to Aldi/Lidi) and left Germany ...
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  18. #68
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,496
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The German national trades wide Union system already established,
    could not be defeated like it can be supressed so well in the store by store campaigns in the states .

    One Canadian Wally World , Organized and the Barons of Bentonville closed It.

  19. #69
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    The national trades wide Union system already established,
    could not be defeated like it can be supressed so well in the store by store campaigns in the states .

    One Canadian Wally World , Organized and the Barons of Bentonville closed It.
    yeah, that is a good point. we just had proper strikes at the Uni ... never seen anything like that in the states.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    lebanon oregon
    My Bikes
    trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    other options would be thrift stores and pawn shops. like craigslist and other used bikes, there is gonna be garbage out there. One of my previous bikes was a trex from a pawn shop and was an amazing deal.
    I hit the local thrift stores on occasion and see amazing good deals there often. a recent example was a very nice Giant hybrid at the local teen challenge. It was 39 bucks. I should have grabbed it up. I went back the next day, with my truck, and cash in hand. it was gone. Two days later it was out front at the lbs, for sale with other used bikes, for 175. Looked like all they had done was put new tires on it. Gone by the weekend.
    also, garage sales and local cop auctions

  21. #71
    Senior Member LiteraryChic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    My Bikes
    Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out on bikes from Wal-Mart when I was a little girl, but after purchasing Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7) at Performance Bike, I will never go back to department store bikes (esp. when I have kids). It sounds like the Voyageur may fit your needs (they also make a men's version).

    Hope you find what suits you. I understand how overwhelming it all can be, but you will find what suits you, and keep in mind that you can also tweak it to meet your needs (as I have extensively done with Lola).
    http://www.minimindfulness.com

  22. #72
    Senior Member LiteraryChic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    My Bikes
    Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    I commute on a $125 Trek 7000 from 1990 that I bought on eBay. The difference is that I knew exactly what I was getting, and knew that whatever work would be needed I could do myself. The tight BB I repacked, same with the hubs just because I could. I lubed the chain, replaced the front shifter (thanks to a BF member that had a spare). When I noticed a distinct wobble when riding I found that there were about 10 loose spokes on the rear wheel, which I tightened and then trued the entire wheel getting all the spokes to reasonable tension. For all of this, I spent $0. The bike purrs now as I ride it. I only spent additional money on new tires.

    For a newbie to buy a CL or eBay bike though can be trouble. Everything I just described is a trip to the shop.

    What I'd recommend though, as others have pointed out, is to go to a bike shop. I bought my wife a Specialized Vita for $500 and it is a perfect beginner bike. It came with a full tune up within the first year. The shop had 3 or 4 different bikes for her to try, the Specialized, Trek, Giant, and another I can't remember. All were about the same quality, the Vita fit the best. Before we left the shop, they had the mechanic go through a checklist to make sure everything was just right. That full tune-up was never cashed in because it just didn't need it, and the bike has been used a lot. That just won't happen at Wal-mart, and this service is worth a lot more than you think.

    And I don't own a bike shop and never have and never will, I've never worked in one either.
    +1 on the CL/eBay route being a tricky to navigate. I will be honest, and state that I recently made the mistake of purchasing an MTB this past Spring off of CL. While I did not purchase it for that much cash ($60), I ended up putting new brakes/shifters on it, and it still did not work out for me in terms of my needs (mainly due to my losing interest in MTBing as quickly as it began - just a personal thing, I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would). All in all, I ended up losing out about $120 (the cost of the bike & stuff for brakes/shifters - I messed up a few times and had to re-purchase some stuff ... ). So, I chalk that whole thing up to learning experience. I didn't not end up enjoying MTBing that much, but I did learn quite a bit of bike mechanics, so all in all, a good trade off for the little bit of lost cash.
    http://www.minimindfulness.com

  23. #73
    Senior Member Duane Behrens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota and Southern California
    My Bikes
    Dollar Bill - It's the New Penny!!
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode a $600 Univega alum hybrid daily for 15 years, enjoyed it, thought it was all I needed. Then I started riding with friends. Although I rode everyday and they only rode weekends, they dropped me on the hills with their carbon bikes. On their advice I eventually purchased a new, non-current Specialized Tarmac Comp Double for $2K - that is, $700 off list. It was something of a transformation in my capable range, speed and enjoyment. Astounding, actually.

    I am in no way discouraging anyone from buying a $170 bike from Walmart. A Yugo can provide the same useful transportation as a Mercedes 300D. Moreover, there is a point at which spending more money on a bike provides only incremental advantages. (There is little functional difference between a $2700 and a $9000 road bike.) But I stand by my statement: In that $170 to $3000 range, you get what you pay for in terms of, primarily, enjoyment - and the proof is in every ride.
    Last edited by Duane Behrens; 11-08-13 at 07:11 PM. Reason: dangling participle

  24. #74
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,806
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    you should see London! most of my colleagues in the SE of England are looking at between 35 and 50% of net salary in rent

    I knew people in Los Angeles, and Santa Barbara that were paying 66% to 75% of their net salary! They drove around in beat up cars, or didn't own a car at all because insurance was too expensive and couldn't afford the gas or upkeep on the car. Then I knew some that, under the same 66% to 75% rent expense, that rented a 1 bedroom apartment had to find a renter who would share in the rent, so one would live in the bedroom and the other in the living room. And I have a brother in law who lives in Santa Barbara who has neighbors with as many as 3 families in one small 1100 square foot 3 bedroom house! And the combined incomes of all spouses working pays the mortgage but they still don't live well because they all drive beater cars, and these are $650,000 fixer upper homes in Goleta (suburb of Santa Barbara). So just because someone lives in Santa Barbara or wherever doesn't mean they have money.

  25. #75
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,773
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    I rode a $600 Univega alum hybrid daily for 15 years, enjoyed it, thought it was all I needed. Then I started riding with friends. Although I rode everyday and they only rode weekends, they dropped me on the hills with their carbon bikes. On their advice I eventually purchased a new, non-current Specialized Tarmac Comp Double for $2K - that is, $700 off list. It was something of a transformation in my capable range, speed and enjoyment. Astounding, actually.
    That's comparing apples to coconuts, though. The reason that road-bikers dropped you on a hybrid has almost nothing to do with the frame material or how much you paid for the new bike. I keep up just fine with people in my area on my $300 Craigslist steel.

    Glad you enjoy the new bike, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •