Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Additions to a bike: An unnecessary hindrance? (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/921343-additions-bike-unnecessary-hindrance.html)

Slaninar 11-09-13 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16231186)
i ride single-speed now and i'm in much better shape than i was riding a 3x9 setup.

a few more months and i'll change it to fixed gear.

Is it all down to bike? Or has your commute changed? I find singlespeed is harder on my knees when the gear is too high, or too slow when I'm riding with wind at my back. Had to put down a conscious effort and training to train myself against mashing in too high a gear, pushing too hard - so not plainig on going back to SS for longer rides. :)

acidfast7 11-09-13 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaninar (Post 16232769)
Is it all down to bike? Or has your commute changed? I find singlespeed is harder on my knees when the gear is too high, or too slow when I'm riding with wind at my back. Had to put down a conscious effort and training to train myself against mashing in too high a gear, pushing too hard - so not plainig on going back to SS for longer rides. :)

my whole life has changed (country, job, living arrangements, commute, bike, food/drink diet, language at work).

it could be anything but i like all of the changes so far including the bike :)

it's much more intellectual riding SS, i really have to plan for what's upcoming ... FG must be bliss.

xtrajack 11-09-13 10:47 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with the OP.

megalowmatt 11-09-13 10:50 AM

You don't need anything done *to* your bike, you just need another bike. Get with the program.

CrankyOne 11-09-13 02:52 PM

Each person and situation is different. My Scott Addict that I use for training rides is quite minimal with only a Garmin 705 and very small tool/tire pouch under my seat added. My Workcycles city/commuting bike is fully loaded and there's not a single item I'd do without.

I-Like-To-Bike 11-09-13 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16232806)
it's much more intellectual riding SS, i really have to plan for what's upcoming ... FG must be bliss.

More intellectual?:rolleyes: Sure whatever you say, Herr Professor.

For masochists, pain IS gain; even the anticipation of pain is bliss.

Pedaleur 11-09-13 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16233190)
Herr Professor.

Herre. He's in Copenhagen.

vol 11-09-13 10:46 PM

OP, would you like this Super Minimal City Bike? :D (Guess it's just a design model?)

I-Like-To-Bike 11-10-13 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaleur (Post 16233260)
Herre. He's in Copenhagen.

But his bicycles are in Deutschland.

Slaninar 11-10-13 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16232806)
my whole life has changed (country, job, living arrangements, commute, bike, food/drink diet, language at work).

it could be anything but i like all of the changes so far including the bike :)

it's much more intellectual riding SS, i really have to plan for what's upcoming ... FG must be bliss.

Look at this kerb:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...BOBZ_ygMneVjq1

When filtering I like to be able to keep one pedal up at times - like not catching a kerb like that with pedals. Also, when cornering I like to keep the "inside" pedal high. These are my main reasons against a FG.

gregjones 11-10-13 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tariqa (Post 16228240)
Also since we are on the subject of additions, what do you think about fixed gear bikes? They to me are the most simple a bike can get. The only reason I ride a commuter bike over a fixie is the fact that they seem dangerous and unfit for long distance rides in various terrains. But I have been considering switching from the geared to the "gearless".

"The only reason I ride a commuter bike over a fixie is the fact that they seem dangerous". I agree with you a brakeless fixie is dangerous. They are pieces of urban fad junk.

A fixed gear bike, on the other hand, is a wonderful machine that is only as dangerous as you ride it.

acidfast7 11-10-13 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaleur (Post 16233260)
Herre. He's in Copenhagen.

I hold posts in both the UK and DK.

However, all my bikes are in Germany except for the great SSFG I just bought.

As I tell everyone I know, first name only please no titles or last names ... acidfast is fine for you guys.

bikemig 11-10-13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 16228275)
I have to have fenders on my commuter bikes. They do in fact keep your feet/lower legs drier,and help to keep the drivetrain(and everything else) cleaner.

No. 1.

jeffpoulin 11-10-13 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16234602)
I hold posts in both the UK and DK.

However, all my bikes are in Germany except for the great SSFG I just bought.

As I tell everyone I know, first name only please no titles or last names ... acidfast is fine for you guys.

So is 7 your last name or your title? ;)

acidfast7 11-10-13 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpoulin (Post 16234735)
So is 7 your last name or your title? ;)

last name is Siebenbürgen and my family is from Transylvania

:D

chaadster 11-10-13 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slcbob (Post 16230882)
I just can't stop chuckling that, after diss'ing all of Fred's favorites in principle, the OP lists a bike chain (a whole one?) and "lotion" as two of the top four bring-along items.

Why not lotion up during the "very decent meal" routine and really go lite?

:)

That's what I was thinking!! :lol:

I-Like-To-Bike 11-10-13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregjones (Post 16234581)
"The only reason I ride a commuter bike over a fixie is the fact that they seem dangerous". I agree with you a brakeless fixie is dangerous. They are pieces of urban fad junk.

A fixed gear bike, on the other hand, is a wonderful machine that is only as dangerous as you ride it.

I would suggest that a fixed gear bike with brakes may not be junk or as dangerous as a brakeless model, however its use as a commuter or transportation bike is also a product of an urban fad.

acidfast7 11-10-13 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16234865)
I would suggest that a fixed gear bike with brakes may not be junk or as dangerous as a brakeless model, however its use as a commuter or transportation bike is also a product of an urban fad.

I agree and think that as long as I live in a Euro metro area it makes a lot of sense (like in CPH).

Even in the UK, where I live it's more rural and still it makes sense for my commute:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=350044

i will switch to FG after the winter because I'd like to continue to train my turnover as it seems to be getting better :D

slcbob 11-10-13 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16232806)
it's much more intellectual riding SS, i really have to plan for what's upcoming ... FG must be bliss.

I may underappreciate the amount of concentration necessary to not shift, at least to (not) do it well.

acidfast7 11-10-13 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slcbob (Post 16234934)
I may underappreciate the amount of concentration necessary to not shift, at least to (not) do it well.

You really have to think about what you're doing. I like it a lot.

For example, your turning radius on a SS is quite large compared to a multispeed bike where you can shift into a low gear to maintain a tight turning radius. In congested areas, this can get tricky. Also, elevation changes have to be planned for.

For example, if I want to use this bridge to cross the river ... I have to deal with a narrow 180 turn and an incline that requires a lot of speed to ride up ... so it's more challenging with SS.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=350056

unterhausen 11-10-13 01:48 PM

I used to ride fixed or single speed for commuting. Easier to keep running with my philosophy of maintenance, which is, "don't." Right now I'm riding a multi-speed mountain bike that needs a new right shifter, might as well have a single speed.

If we are going formal, you can call me Herr Döktor Unterhausen

fietsbob 11-10-13 02:41 PM

annual Birthdays adding up are an undesirable hinderance, but what are you going to do about them?

I dont think much about fixed gear , any more .. IGH have the variety of a wider range of gears than one.

still one cog and one chainring.
my 2K$ bike , new was SRP listed at 3600 euros .. has a 1500$ IG hub , if bought new .

yea I change stuff , bars seat post, Saddle pedals dynohub & Lights.



7 of 9 is my favorite Borg. Jeri Ryan .

[an 'Army Brat' , born in Germany . as Jeri Lynn Zimmerman ] ..

Yes, I acknowledge I'm old enough to have been the age of her father ..

Quote:

wait how did she come into this conversation?
the 7 .. siete.

could have gone with 'the Magnificent 7' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

PatrickGSR94 11-10-13 07:29 PM

I think 7 is every Trekkie/Trekker's favorite Borg :D

wait how did she come into this conversation?

acidfast7 11-10-13 07:32 PM

not into ST at all.

like less than 0.

not sure why as I like nearly everything, but not ST in the slightest :(

PatrickGSR94 11-10-13 07:33 PM

I have seen every episode of every series and all 12 movies. :p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.