Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Additions to a bike: An unnecessary hindrance? (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/921343-additions-bike-unnecessary-hindrance.html)

acidfast7 11-10-13 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16235907)
I have seen every episode of every series and all 12 movies. :p

even as a kid, i never liked it ... i'm still baffled by that.

it's doubly frustrating because i always have a reason for why i like/dislike something, but not for ST, which may be why i dislike it so much.

CrankyOne 11-10-13 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16235278)
IGH have the variety of a wider range of gears than one. still one cog and one chainring.

I got a new bike last winter with an N360. I'll never ride anything else (assuming it's as maintenance free as my other IGH's have been). I think Marsha Brady would ride one. :-)

OneGoodLeg 11-11-13 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tariqa (Post 16228240)
As far as the fenders and whatnot, I feel this is also an unnecessary addition. The worst part about riding in the rain is the water splashing back up as you ride. However if you have something to deflect the rain splashing back up.

Something? You mean like fenders?


Quote:

Originally Posted by tariqa (Post 16228240)
, by the end of your ride, you should either have a fresh change of clothes or in all, dry clothes underneath everything.

Hunh? Because they fresh change of clothes was there at the beginning?

.

tjspiel 11-11-13 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16230332)
Nothing is simpler than coasting down a hill or coasting to a stop; too bad it can't be done on a "simple" fixed gear bike.

Coasting on a fixed gear is different but it is still coasting in a way. I can either apply pressure to the pedals or not. My legs will still be moving regardless (as long as the bike is moving and as long as I have my feet on the pedals). In addition, I can apply pressure to move the bike forward, slow it down, or even move it backwards.

I had assumed that a fixed gear bike would be a lot more work than a single speed since you have to pedal all the time but that has really turned out not to be the case. There's not much effort involved in pedaling when the pedals are moving your legs rather than the other way around. I do have hand brakes and that makes a big difference.

Riding fixed may well turn out to be a fad. That's OK. I'm enjoying it for now and may continue to indefinitely or might decide tomorrow that I want something different.

caloso 11-11-13 04:10 PM

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2100/3...98a87fa9fc.jpg

acidfast7 11-11-13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 16238112)

as a microbiologist, i encourage people to be exposed to "bugs"

one of the worst things that's happened to kids is antibacterial wipes/surfaces/etc...

a little waste off the ground is actually good for your immune system and to make sure you're covered inside and outside with the correct "bugs"

PatrickGSR94 11-11-13 05:47 PM

I tend to agree. When my son was born we got this huge bottle of antibacterial hand cleaner stuff. Ended up hardly ever using it.

I usually just wash up well after using the restroom, before eating, after getting obviously dirty or greasy, or after doing something like sneezing into my hand etc.

acidfast7 11-11-13 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16238344)
I tend to agree. When my son was born we got this huge bottle of antibacterial hand cleaner stuff. Ended up hardly ever using it.

I usually just wash up well after using the restroom, before eating, after getting obviously dirty or greasy, or after doing something like sneezing into my hand etc.

I think good handwashing practice and using the restroom is important.

I think fenders are not a big deal ... it's an inconvenience to not have them ... but getting the stuff from the street on to your skin/in your mouth is much less serious than handwashing after dropping a bomb.

PatrickGSR94 11-11-13 09:15 PM

well yeah, I enjoy going on a muddy barefoot hike through the woods, just rinse off with water afterwards. :D

HardyWeinberg 11-12-13 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16238377)
I think good handwashing practice and using the restroom is important.

I think fenders are not a big deal ... it's an inconvenience to not have them ... but getting the stuff from the street on to your skin/in your mouth is much less serious than handwashing after dropping a bomb.

Harder on the bike than on the rider I think. Headset, drive train get way grittier way faster w/o fenders.

bmontgomery87 11-12-13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjspiel (Post 16237994)
Riding fixed may well turn out to be a fad. That's OK. I'm enjoying it for now and may continue to indefinitely or might decide tomorrow that I want something different.

Agreed here.
I don't care if it is a fad, it's a fad that is getting people outdoors and on two wheels.

I think crossfit is a stupid fad, but at the same time, it's gotten people off the couch and into a gym. So you have to appreciate things that you don't necessarily want to do yourself.

tariqa 01-01-14 02:59 PM

Well I could be wrong.. Its my choice however...I dont like the weight of my already heavy bike. And to clear up, I do not carry a whole chain in my backpack. The lotion is for the skin drying out at the end of the ride.


---Deodorant, soap, toothbrush, perfume, and lotion are my hygiene products.

---Tools, levers, tube, pump, lights, maybe a mirror are my bike products..However ill probably be buying a quick link soon

---a change of clothes, waterproof clothing is my clothing items. The dirty water can cover the clothing because there is a fresh change of clothes that the crud wont get on underneath. The crud easily washes off of waterproof clothing

--a bottle of water, food, fruit etc are my food products


thats about it..with this setup i see no need for any other additions. Also all of these additions can be omitted or added at the drop of a hat unlike fenders and other stuff which will take much longer to remove.

But if the added weight keeps the bike cleaner, cant really argue that. Unless you just make sure to clean your bike more often..Then theres really no need for that at all.

fietsbob 01-01-14 06:30 PM

cyclists have different self images the- lycra racer VS the JRA ride for Utility transport.

The OP Seems swayed by the former, as they age the shift may occur ..

Or at least the N+1 process offers a choice..

Fizzaly 01-01-14 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tariqa (Post 16373406)
Well I could be wrong.. Its my choice however...I dont like the weight of my already heavy bike. And to clear up, I do not carry a whole chain in my backpack. The lotion is for the skin drying out at the end of the ride.


---Deodorant, soap, toothbrush, perfume, and lotion are my hygiene products.

---Tools, levers, tube, pump, lights, maybe a mirror are my bike products..However ill probably be buying a quick link soon

---a change of clothes, waterproof clothing is my clothing items. The dirty water can cover the clothing because there is a fresh change of clothes that the crud wont get on underneath. The crud easily washes off of waterproof clothing

--a bottle of water, food, fruit etc are my food products


thats about it..with this setup i see no need for any other additions. Also all of these additions can be omitted or added at the drop of a hat unlike fenders and other stuff which will take much longer to remove.

But if the added weight keeps the bike cleaner, cant really argue that. Unless you just make sure to clean your bike more often..Then theres really no need for that at all.

My bike easily weights 50lbs with everything on it and I've never had any kind of problem getting everywhere, I've got fenders, racks front and back, several bags etc and I can still on occasion drop a roadie, plus when you get on your weekend bike it's like your Ina rocket. But everyone like different things and everyone is entitled to their opinon, if you liked a stripped down bare bike go for it I do on occasion ride my road bike or MTB with just a backpack to work and I made it with no problems either.

bluegoatwoods 01-01-14 09:28 PM

Well, tariqa, I disagree with everything in your original post.

But for what it's worth, it doesn't anger me.

If that's the way you want to ride, then God bless you.

I'm a 'fred', by the way. It would seem that you're not.

wphamilton 01-01-14 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tariqa (Post 16228240)
Edit: Unnecessary not necessary. I'm questioning their necessity.

...
If I could get away with no lights, i would too however some compromises are needed. I keep lights, a bike chain, and a tube pump as the bare minimum.....

I'd consider the bike chain as extra, unnecessary weight. Just a few links is enough IMHO.

I'll agree with you up to a point: the extras are not necessary. Desirable, advisable perhaps but not totally necessary. I roll that way myself, but I've also commuted with probably more equipment and weight than most anyone posting here. That works pretty well too. It's all a matter of style and preference.

wphamilton 01-01-14 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tariqa (Post 16373406)
Well I could be wrong.. Its my choice however...I dont like the weight of my already heavy bike. And to clear up, I do not carry a whole chain in my backpack. The lotion is for the skin drying out at the end of the ride.


---Deodorant, soap, toothbrush, perfume, and lotion are my hygiene products.

---Tools, levers, tube, pump, lights, maybe a mirror are my bike products..However ill probably be buying a quick link soon

---a change of clothes, waterproof clothing is my clothing items. The dirty water can cover the clothing because there is a fresh change of clothes that the crud wont get on underneath. The crud easily washes off of waterproof clothing

--a bottle of water, food, fruit etc are my food products


thats about it..with this setup i see no need for any other additions. Also all of these additions can be omitted or added at the drop of a hat unlike fenders and other stuff which will take much longer to remove.

But if the added weight keeps the bike cleaner, cant really argue that. Unless you just make sure to clean your bike more often..Then theres really no need for that at all.

You can reduce this: just a sample bottle of body wash for both shower and hair, regular bike jersey and shorts will be less load and hindrance. No water or food is really necessary for a commute.

Also if you set up a pack as a frame bag (suspended in the front triangle) the bag can be lighter than most backpacks and not as annoying. There's plenty of room if you're not carrying extras like food, toiletries etc.

kookaburra1701 01-02-14 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vol (Post 16234061)
OP, would you like this Super Minimal City Bike? :D (Guess it's just a design model?)

Personally, I find pedals to be just unnecessary clutter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aisine1817.jpg

kookaburra1701 01-02-14 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrankyOne (Post 16235919)
I got a new bike last winter with an N360. I'll never ride anything else (assuming it's as maintenance free as my other IGH's have been). I think Marsha Brady would ride one. :-)

Eventually I want to upgrade my Nexus 8 to either an N360 or an Alfine 11. How easy of a gear does the 360 get to? My commuter is really heavy (50# + unloaded) so I like to be able to spin easy up hills.

MacNasty 01-02-14 09:36 AM

What accessories you put on your bike is purely personal. Over time you will find what works best for you. I vary what I bring with me based on the duration and remoteness of the ride. Sometimes I ride with very little, sometimes everything but the kitchen sink. YMMV.

spare_wheel 01-02-14 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 16238148)
as a microbiologist, i encourage people to be exposed to "bugs"

one of the worst things that's happened to kids is antibacterial wipes/surfaces/etc...

a little waste off the ground is actually good for your immune system and to make sure you're covered inside and outside with the correct "bugs"

Innate immunity!

(I thought you were a biochemist.)

acidfast7 01-03-14 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spare_wheel (Post 16375655)
Innate immunity!

(I thought you were a biochemist.)

??

I was thinking of the gut microbiome.

Artkansas 01-03-14 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 (Post 16375124)
Personally, I find pedals to be just unnecessary clutter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aisine1817.jpg

We'll all be riding hoverboards when they are invented next year any way. ;)

http://geeksyndicate.co.uk/wp-conten...hoverboard.jpg

PatrickGSR94 01-03-14 08:31 AM

lol YES! I can't wait to see what happens in the world next year on Oct. 21 2015. Either from Universal Studios or anyone else.

gna 01-03-14 10:41 AM

http://www.seriousjuggling.com/image...-inch-2010.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.