Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Riser bars or bar ends for more upright posture in old mtn bike commuter?

    Hello all,

    I use a 1999 trek 6000 for my short (15 min) daily commute. However, it has straight flat handlebars, and sometimes I feel like I'm bending over a bit too much. On longer rides, my hands also get tired of staying in the same position. I'm considering either a riser bar, bar ends, or both (?) to address these problems. Can you guys comment on those as solutions? Which would be better, and where would be a cheap place to get these parts? Need new handgrips too! This is just a durable commuter that gets locked, so I don't need anything fancy but it should be durable.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bar ends would move your hands farther away from the brakes, which is a bad idea on a commuter bike. Can you get a taller stem?

  3. #3
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bar ends are good for multiple hand positions, but when properly set up to provide them, they do not help you achieve a more upright posture; quite the opposite, in fact, since they stretch your reach and effectively lower your position.

    Therefor, if you want to get more upright, you'll need to raise your bars. Risers will work somewhat, but it's probably just as easy and cheap to get a higher rise stem to replace your current one; you can probably get more height that way.

    Try Nashbar.com for parts on the cheap.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  4. #4
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote is for a new stem as well.

    As for the grips- Ergon GP-1. Come in different sizes and trigger or grip shift variants. I'm a bit biased, though, as I have a set that replaced the stock rubber grips that started falling apart after I cut them down in order to install bar ends.

  5. #5
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    My vote is for a new stem as well.

    As for the grips- Ergon GP-1. Come in different sizes and trigger or grip shift variants. I'm a bit biased, though, as I have a set that replaced the stock rubber grips that started falling apart after I cut them down in order to install bar ends.
    I've been wanting to try those Ergons; maybe soon, as I'm scheduling the commuter for an overhaul late winter.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would simply get some North Road handlebars

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know where the o.p. is but I have risers aplenty to sell, swap or just swan off into that good night. The nicest riser bars I have (Truvativ) have Ergon GP3's still attached, along with Avid long pull brake levers. They are 31.8mm though. North Road bars don't come much more reasonable than the one's by Velo Orange. Not parting with those... yet.

    H

    P.S. The above notwithstanding, the real solution to the issues raised (nyuk) in the o.p. is drop bars. If you think you are bending over too much, you probably are not bending over enough. Eliminating potato chips and fast food can't hurt either...<running, ducking..>

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Don't know where the o.p. is but I have risers aplenty to sell, swap or just swan off into that good night. The nicest riser bars I have (Truvativ) have Ergon GP3's still attached, along with Avid long pull brake levers. They are 31.8mm though. North Road bars don't come much more reasonable than the one's by Velo Orange. Not parting with those... yet.

    H

    P.S. The above notwithstanding, the real solution to the issues raised (nyuk) in the o.p. is drop bars. If you think you are bending over too much, you probably are not bending over enough. Eliminating potato chips and fast food can't hurt either...<running, ducking..>
    Hey I love potato chips as much as the next guy, but I'm actually very lean so that's not the problem. Why would you say I'm not bending over enough? It was so bad I was getting a tingly willy on longer rides (), I lowered my seat a bit and that helped but I still feel more comfortable sitting up a bit.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got these bars from amazon for $13. Makes for a much nicer ride.

    They either went up in price, or I got the initial price wrong, they're $16

    http://www.amazon.com/Wald-5-25-Inch...nch+riser+bars
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yip812; 11-17-13 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Added link

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
    Hey I love potato chips as much as the next guy, but I'm actually very lean so that's not the problem. Why would you say I'm not bending over enough? It was so bad I was getting a tingly willy on longer rides (), I lowered my seat a bit and that helped but I still feel more comfortable sitting up a bit.
    There is another thread, a poll actually, that breaks down the distribution of different kinds of handlebars in use by the forum at large. Personally I thought the percentage of flat/riser bar users would be much higher. I'm just one guy, my experiences don't count for much. But have a look at that poll. Now what do you think when a whole lot of guys think that drops on road bikes is a better way to go?

    I'll save you some time and expense and tell you now that raising your bars will not provide as much relief as you hope. When you get into Dutch Workbike territory with the bars 6" higher than your saddle, maybe. But... are you going to change your saddle too? Probably not, but you should, you know. All of a sudden you are now putting your entire weight on a 145mm wide saddle. Is that a good idea? Since going to drops I am bent over without any tingles either below the waist or above. You have much more power to apply to the pedals. FWIW.

    H

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    6367 km away from the center of the Earth
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did both riser and adjustable stem 4 years ago. I'm still on them today and i'm pretty happy with my saddle on a more upright position . Medically speaking it is better to be more upright to put all the pressure on your sitbones. That's why 100% perineal pressure relieve medical saddles require from people to ride in a more upright position
    Last edited by erig007; 11-18-13 at 12:59 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member browngw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Port Dover Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    1974 Sekine Mixte, 1975 Sekine SHS,1975 Raleigh Sprite, 1976 Raleigh Sprite, 1980 Raleigh Record, 1983 Raleigh Sprite Mixte, 1993 Raleigh Portage, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder, 2012 Giant Expressway et al
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your riding style is upright, an adjustable stem ($27) riser bars ($19) and bar ends, I use the shorty style ($20)
    should work fine. I have two bikes set up this now. My Raleigh MTB is shown.
    The other is my Giant Cypress which has travelled 8000km (5000miles) with a similar setup.

    I would love to actually have the "weight on the bars theory" verified some day. I don't think its as significant as most believe.




    DSCF1258.jpgDSCF1255.jpg
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

  13. #13
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    35,737
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Trekking bars , they are higher than my saddle. figure 8 bend in grip shift friendly 7/8" tube.

    Ergons on my Brompton M3L.

  14. #14
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    17,564
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with any upright bar (defined by having grips at the ends) is safe enough. I wouldn't worry about moving your hands to the brake levers to brake. I move my right foot to reach the brake in my car. It doesn't take too long.

    While most of the advice above is probably all you need, it seems to me that you just might be able to put bar ends on backwards so they reach back. If you like that, then you could consider a North Road type of bend, which sweeps back towards you.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    New York City and High Falls, NY
    noglider's ride blog

  15. #15
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    There is another thread, a poll actually, that breaks down the distribution of different kinds of handlebars in use by the forum at large. Personally I thought the percentage of flat/riser bar users would be much higher. I'm just one guy, my experiences don't count for much. But have a look at that poll. Now what do you think when a whole lot of guys think that drops on road bikes is a better way to go?

    I'll save you some time and expense and tell you now that raising your bars will not provide as much relief as you hope. When you get into Dutch Workbike territory with the bars 6" higher than your saddle, maybe. But... are you going to change your saddle too? Probably not, but you should, you know. All of a sudden you are now putting your entire weight on a 145mm wide saddle. Is that a good idea? Since going to drops I am bent over without any tingles either below the waist or above. You have much more power to apply to the pedals. FWIW.

    H
    That's laughable logic! Lots of people like some really dumb sh*t!
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  16. #16
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of commutes, errands, and social functions are 15 min-25min rides, and my flatbar/bar end setup is awesome for that. I've ridden on 20 mile trips without problem, and would probably ride it any distance. Your experience may vary, but 15 minutes is brief enough that one could ride anything, I think.

    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •