Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Afraid of the dark (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/922777-afraid-dark.html)

rumrunn6 11-22-13 08:24 AM

saw a guy last night with a really nice reflective jacket only to cover it with a dead dark black backpack w/o any reflective striping on it at all. he had a tiny rear strobe and I saw him but why note accentuate your rear facing visibility with a reflective backpack. just seems silly to use black.

Giant Doofus 11-22-13 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curly666 (Post 16268019)

Thanks.

cyccommute 11-22-13 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 16262997)
But consider that accident statistics are weighted toward mostly daytime riding.

That's hasn't been true for as long as I've been looking at accident statistics, which is 25+ years now. The Nation Highway Transportation Safety Administration has always broken accident statistics out into 4 hour blocks of the day. This report from the NHTSA for 2011 shows the breakdown for 2011 and 2010 in Table 2. The trend of higher fatality numbers for the 8 hours from 1600 to 2400 has been the norm for the 25 years I've been looking at the data. This particular report doesn't show the breakdown with time of day and age but I've seen that kind of data elsewhere as well as breakdowns of injuries and time.

Granted most of the fatalities (and injuries which track the fatality data) occur to people who are going Ninja. But it's a good idea to use extra caution while riding at night. Having enough light to be obnoxious helps.

FBinNY 11-22-13 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 16269146)
That's hasn't been true for as long as I've been looking at accident statistics, which is 25+ years now. The Nation Highway Transportation Safety Administration has always broken accident statistics out into 4 hour blocks of the day. This report from the NHTSA for 2011 shows the breakdown for 2011 and 2010 in Table 2. The trend of higher fatality numbers for the 8 hours from 1600 to 2400 has been the norm for the 25 years I've been looking at the data. This particular report doesn't show the breakdown with time of day and age but I've seen that kind of data elsewhere as well as breakdowns of injuries and time.

Granted most of the fatalities (and injuries which track the fatality data) occur to people who are going Ninja. But it's a good idea to use extra caution while riding at night. Having enough light to be obnoxious helps.

You've read more into my statement than was there. I was responding to a general breakdown of accident types, which in the aggregate are skewed day/night simply because the vastly different number of cyclists on the road day vs. night.

mstraus 11-22-13 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus (Post 16267560)
Huh. The things you learn on the bike forum. I had no idea a device like this even existed. Thanks! Think I'll give this a try.


A few companies make things like this, depending on need. Minora makes a couple models.

Others to consider:
http://problemsolversbike.com/produc...ccessory_mount
http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha..._Code=PCHBM-01
http://www.benscycle.com/p-1566-nitt...-holder-2.aspx

Lets you mount lamps and other accessories galore!

KenshiBiker 11-22-13 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozonation (Post 16266657)
I was thinking of mounting a big reflective triangle (e.g., slow moving vehicle - ha ha) on some backing and then rigging that to whatever I was wearing - jacket or bag. Sometimes I'm a bit more dressed up and so the jacket I'm wearing is not the usual bright colour kaleidoscope variety! Maybe it could be attached to a big stretchy strap...

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/re5.htm

Ozonation 11-22-13 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker (Post 16269537)
Something like this perhaps?

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/re5.htm

EXACTLY. And what's even more embarrassing is that I have Rivendell bikes... never even occurred to me that they would sell this. :(

KenshiBiker 11-22-13 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozonation (Post 16269594)
EXACTLY. And what's even more embarrassing is that I have Rivendell bikes... never even occurred to me that they would sell this. :(

Yup. I saw the Hillborne in your sig line. I thought of mentioning the irony, but figured I'd let it slide.

How do you like your Riv anyway? I was down at their store in Walnut Creek (even got to meet Grant P.) a few weeks ago. Unfortunately they didn't have any bikes my size to try out, but next spring I may be looking for a dedicated commuter bike and promised them I'd be back.

Ozonation 11-22-13 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker (Post 16269634)
Yup. I saw the Hillborne in your sig line. I thought of mentioning the irony, but figured I'd let it slide.

How do you like your Riv anyway? I was down at their store in Walnut Creek (even got to meet Grant P.) a few weeks ago. Unfortunately they didn't have any bikes my size to try out, but next spring I may be looking for a dedicated commuter bike and promised them I'd be back.

Me and irony - story of my life!

I love my Rivendells. They are amazing bicycles. I know some cyclists think they are overrated and perhaps they are in a sense that if you know exactly what frame to buy and how to source and assemble a bike from the components, you could probably build a similar Rivendell for less money (but I'm guessing not for a lot less money). Me? I have neither the time nor ability to do so. Rivendell claims implicitly that if you want their bikes, they can advise you in such a way that their experience will produce the best bike for you, whether you agree or not. I have to say... they're right.

Rivendell bikes are uncomplicated, stylish, and tough. I cannot stand most of the colour schemes and finishes on most "modern" bikes: for me the colours are garish, they clash, and I don't want to adverstise (bike brand) in 1000 font size in blazing white. I also personally like the idea that I can easily adjust and fix things without too many tools or dedicated equipment. I have a fat bike too, and in anticipation of the upcoming winter weather, I spent 45 minutes yesterday trying to true the back disc rotor. Not hard, but it was a bit frustrating. I succeeded - mostly. The Rivendells aren't perfect, but I can more than live with what I think might be their imperfections.

And let's be blunt - I'm a bit vain. If you buy a Rivendell, you are, quite honestly, buying into a culture or lifestyle choice to some degree. Look at me! I'm an urban retro grouch! Eh, I don't pretend to be morally superior! :lol:

But you know, at the end of the day, it's about the ride: the bikes ride like silk and flow like water.

If you want one and you get one, you'll love it.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=352083http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=352084

cyccommute 11-22-13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 16269179)
You've read more into my statement than was there. I was responding to a general breakdown of accident types, which in the aggregate are skewed day/night simply because the vastly different number of cyclists on the road day vs. night.

I see no skewing of the data towards day time riders. If anything, the data for a very long time has shown a significant skewing towards night time riding. Considering that the bulk of rides are done during the daylight hours but the bulk of the fatalities happen from 1600 to 2400 that says that the accident statistics are weighted towards night time riding.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.