Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61
  1. #51
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,632
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @acidfast7 Not sure I actually gave a price point. My point is that initial price is not what I use as a basis for purchase decisions. My wife got a front suspension Diamondback for $100 (Guessing about 80 Euro). That bike is fine, and was a good value. It was marked down from $200 and she jumped on it quick.

    Some times the lowest price is the most cost effective, but very often it is not. I paid $1600 for my current bike (Renyolds 525 frame, Shimano 105 groupset) I could have gotten great value for half that, but there is that intangible factor of personal preference.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  2. #52
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    5,877
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I commute on bikes that would cost $2,000-$4,000 to replace, but I lock them up with a heavy-duty U-lock and cable. My commute is 30+ miles round trip, and I ride to work about 4 days a week on average. For as much riding as I do commuting -- more than half of my total mileage -- I want to ride on a nice bike. I actually spent much less than the replacement value for my bikes because I bought most of the frames used and had them built up with parts from other bikes, or bought on sale or on-line for good prices.

    In 6-1/2 years of commuting, I've never had a bike stolen or tampered with. However, one of my coworkers had his inexpensive bike stolen, using a cheap lightweight cable lock. Most thieves are opportunistic and will steal the bikes that are unlocked or secured with flimsy locks/cables that are easy to break or cut.

  3. #53
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,632
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    In 6-1/2 years of commuting, I've never had a bike stolen or tampered with. However, one of my coworkers had his inexpensive bike stolen, using a cheap lightweight cable lock. Most thieves are opportunistic and will steal the bikes that are unlocked or secured with flimsy locks/cables that are easy to break or cut.
    Yep. I heard a stat once, don't remember where, that cheap bikes are stolen far more often than expensive bikes. I see them sitting on kickstands (Comestealmestands) outside convenience stores all the time.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  4. #54
    Fat Guy on a Little Bike KonAaron Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Two wheeled ones
    Posts
    11,809
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    I commute on bikes that would cost $2,000-$4,000 to replace, but I lock them up with a heavy-duty U-lock and cable. My commute is 30+ miles round trip, and I ride to work about 4 days a week on average. For as much riding as I do commuting -- more than half of my total mileage -- I want to ride on a nice bike. I actually spent much less than the replacement value for my bikes because I bought most of the frames used and had them built up with parts from other bikes, or bought on sale or on-line for good prices.

    In 6-1/2 years of commuting, I've never had a bike stolen or tampered with. However, one of my coworkers had his inexpensive bike stolen, using a cheap lightweight cable lock. Most thieves are opportunistic and will steal the bikes that are unlocked or secured with flimsy locks/cables that are easy to break or cut.
    +1 -

    I know I've told this story before, but my Merckx team bike was locked up in north Philadelphia for months at one point (obviously prior to my ownership)...it wasn't even an especially robust lock. We don't really have the dreaded angle grinder bike specialists - we have idiot junkies going after the weakest link.

    To quote bigbossman...life's too short to ride ***ty bikes.

  5. #55
    back in the saddle bent-not-broken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Central WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 670, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Panasonic 500, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team
    Posts
    558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how well you are able to maintain your bike. I have a half dozen bikes that I picked up at garage sales and am comfortable riding on my 30 mile rt commute. Theft is no issue out here in the sticks so I ride cheap because i am cheap.
    Bent

    When the earth is covered with 2/3's beer, then I'll buy bottled water!

  6. #56
    ride for a change modernjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
    Posts
    1,940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What say I?

    Assess your situation and whatever you feel is the right price to value to fun to expendable income ratio for your bike is exactly what you should spend.

    It just so happens that the variables in that equation for me are pretty different than the OP. No problem. I do all types of riding beyond commuting and I spend stupid amounts of money on my bikes. I have no regrets nor do I expect or urge anyone to do the same as me. It's a life long hobby and passion that I get so much out of, and I am truly blessed to have the means and the health to do so.

  7. #57
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,555
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
    well when i am riding in very cold weather or rain i think to myself, would their be a noticeable difference in my ride if i bought say, a 5000 dollar bike? also my bike has to be outside, can't bring into the house.
    also one of my main goals of using a bike is to save money for my retirement, as i am getting on in years.
    each individual has different circumstances, that drives their bike purchases. i just thought i would voice my perspective.
    If you don't have any specific reasons for spending the extra $4500, then of course it would be wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  8. #58
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,346
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agent pombero View Post
    In my experince, Most new $400 bikes are rolling turds, and will most likely discourage any serious riding or commuting. The real sweet spot for a quality bike is around $1k if buying new. Next time don't leave your bike unlocked.
    I rode a $300 bike for 9 years and 29,000 miles and liked it. I still ride it occasionally, there's nothing wrong with it. The road bike is more fun to ride but if I'd bought it first I would not have gotten in the habit of riding because the riding position is something I could not have maintained back then.

    Even the road bike I only spent $800 on (at Bikesdirect). It's very nice. I call it a $1000 bike, because the same bike locally would have been about $1400 or so.

    I think people are really way too picky about things.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  9. #59
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,346
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPablo View Post
    +1

    You're quite fortunate to be able to afford that much for "cycling stuff". Many people would have a problem coming up with that much for an entire bike!

    * Count your blessings!
    People spend way more than that buying cars, even people who don't make that much money. It's about priorities.

    I spent $2500 on bikes this year. My car isn't worth more than about $1500, and I have no intention of replacing it unless it croaks.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    People spend way more than that buying cars, even people who don't make that much money. It's about priorities.

    I spent $2500 on bikes this year. My car isn't worth more than about $1500, and I have no intention of replacing it unless it croaks.
    Yea, its about priorities and preferences with bikes and everything else. Available money/income in some cases comes second (within a reasonable range of incomes) as some people are more inclined to spend a higher % of what they make then others. I know people who all make roughly the same amount of money, one rides a $5000 bike to work and the other and old beater he paid ~$200 for. For both of them there bike is a thing of pride, but for different reasons. This is no different then the person who leases an expensive car every three years vs the person who still drives their 1993 Civic. There is no right or wrong.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    People spend way more than that buying cars, even people who don't make that much money. It's about priorities.

    I spent $2500 on bikes this year. My car isn't worth more than about $1500, and I have no intention of replacing it unless it croaks.
    We here in the west are so spoiled!

    To most people in this world, having either a beater bike or an old clunker auto would be a considerable step up in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstraus View Post
    Yea, its about priorities and preferences with bikes and everything else. Available money/income in some cases comes second (within a reasonable range of incomes) as some people are more inclined to spend a higher % of what they make then others. I know people who all make roughly the same amount of money, one rides a $5000 bike to work and the other and old beater he paid ~$200 for. For both of them there bike is a thing of pride, but for different reasons. This is no different then the person who leases an expensive car every three years vs the person who still drives their 1993 Civic. There is no right or wrong.
    +1

    True, but some people experience great difficulty when attempting to strike a balance between ego, status, and necessity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •