Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-13, 11:30 AM   #1
Wythnail
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Wythnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Bikes: 78 Raleigh Pro, 80's Centurion Signet (fixed), 81 Lotus Eclair, 96 Klien MTB
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kind of hate the term "Commuting"

Is this just me?

I tend to associate the word with a bunch of suits reading newspapers in trains, and my frantic summer sweat rides coughing up car exhaust or my winter cold rain streaming down my face ride don't seem to match that image.

I don't have a better word or term, perhaps just "I ride my bike to work/everywhere".
Wythnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 11:39 AM   #2
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I only use the term with other bikies. With anyone else, I "ride/rode my bike to work." It's usually simpler to use those 6 words first, rather than use the term "commute" and then have to unpack it for the person.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 11:45 AM   #3
AlTheKiller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Napa, California
Bikes:
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I got sicky sicky gnar gnar on the way to work today."
AlTheKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 11:51 AM   #4
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle
 
eofelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Western Colorado
Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
Posts: 1,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In our household if you "commute" you ride your bike. Otherwise, you just drive the car.
__________________
Gunnar Sport
Specialized Ruby
Salsa Vaya Ti
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
eofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 12:32 PM   #5
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I hate the term "bike" because people usually assume when I rode my bike to work, I took the Harley.
alan s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 12:47 PM   #6
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1979 Austro-Daimler, 1974 Steyr Clubman
Posts: 8,738
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Riding a bicycle to work is one of those activities that most people don't seem to have a mental category to contain. Pretty much no matter how you describe it some people will assume that you can't possibly mean what it sounds like you mean.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 12:59 PM   #7
mstraus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To me commuting is a generic term that means going to and from work, independent of mode of travel.

Of course this forum is about a specific kind of commuting, commuting by bike, bike commuting, riding your bike to work as a form of commuting, or whatever you want to all it. For some of us this may be a mixed mode commuting involving bikes and transit.

Maybe what we need is a special word for bike commuting, like "cyclomuting" and we can be "cyclomuters"
mstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 01:14 PM   #8
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraus View Post
Maybe what we need is a special word for bike commuting, like "cyclomuting" and we can be "cyclomuters"
Maybe, but I think folks would have a tough time working that out and you'd end up explaining it to them anyway.

"Bicycle Commuting" is good because it gets around the "bike" being mistaken for a motorcycle as alan s points out and we are actually "commuting" to and from work even if (like me) part of the journey is by train.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 01:14 PM   #9
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I kind of hate threads like this.

Is it just me?
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 01:30 PM   #10
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need to live in an area where people "commute to work by bike."

An example from a few places I have lived (or currently live):

CPH:
Frankfurt:
Stokcholm:
Texas:
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 01:47 PM   #11
babaluey
OlyCommuter
 
babaluey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Olympia, WA
Bikes: Spot Ajax for commuting, Jamis Dakota Sport for dirt.
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's just you. You have a narrow view of the definition of commute.
com∑mute verb \k?-'myŁt\: to travel regularly to and from a place and especially between where you live and where you work
babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 01:50 PM   #12
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Bikes: NA
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
You need to live in an area where people "commute to work by bike."
I'm having a hard time understanding what your videos were supposed to illustrate other than the fact that a rural commute has little traffic while an urban commute has lots of traffic.
spare_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 01:57 PM   #13
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,735
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't see your point. Commuting just describes the generic act of traveling from home to work and back. The mode of travel can be anything; I just happen to do it by bicycle.
caloso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 02:34 PM   #14
mstraus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Maybe, but I think folks would have a tough time working that out and you'd end up explaining it to them anyway.

"Bicycle Commuting" is good because it gets around the "bike" being mistaken for a motorcycle as alan s points out and we are actually "commuting" to and from work even if (like me) part of the journey is by train.

Rick / OCRR
I usually say I am a bicycle commuter or I bike to work. both generally are well understood. I only suggested a term as the OP said he doesn't like the term commuter, even though we are, as well as many other people who are driving, taking transit, etc.
mstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 05:35 PM   #15
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraus View Post
I usually say I am a bicycle commuter or I bike to work. both generally are well understood. I only suggested a term as the OP said he doesn't like the term commuter, even though we are, as well as many other people who are driving, taking transit, etc.
As a decades-long cycle commuter, that term is perfectly fine with me. To the uninitiated, I simply say "I ride my bike to work." and to impress them I add "year-round."
Jim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 05:53 PM   #16
e0richt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
I hate the term "bike" because people usually assume when I rode my bike to work, I took the Harley.
actually, I think that bike should mean "bicycle"... if you took the Harley then you rode your motorbike...
e0richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 05:53 PM   #17
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes:
Posts: 8,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I very rarely use the term "commuting" to refer to bicycle commuting outside of this forum. I think it's intent was just to differentiate it from other cycling activities.

For what it's worth I don't particularly like the term either because it has such a drab connotation for me.
tjspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 06:33 PM   #18
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
I kind of hate threads like this.

Is it just me?
No.

It is just me?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 06:47 PM   #19
Ridefreemc 
Senior Member
 
Ridefreemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Florida
Bikes: 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9 (x3), 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro, 2014 Xtracycle Electric, 2014 Surly Big Dummy electric assist
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraus View Post
To me commuting is a generic term that means going to and from work, independent of mode of travel.

Of course this forum is about a specific kind of commuting, commuting by bike, bike commuting, riding your bike to work as a form of commuting, or whatever you want to all it. For some of us this may be a mixed mode commuting involving bikes and transit.

Maybe what we need is a special word for bike commuting, like "cyclomuting" and we can be "cyclomuters"
I vote for being a psychomuter! Or cyclemuter. Or...I don't care, I just like to ride my bike.
__________________
On the move!
2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9 (x3), 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro, 2014 Xtracycle Electric, 2014 Surly Big Dummy electric assist
Ridefreemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 06:49 PM   #20
Matariki
Not quite there yet
 
Matariki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Monkey Bottom, NC
Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kinda hate labels so I rarely tell anyone how I get to work. For fifteen years before I restarted my bike-to-work routine, I walked. Nobody called me a foot commuter, or a pedestrian, or a walking commuter - they just knew I walked to work. Now if they see my bike, they know that I bike to work. If they ask me why I don't walk anymore, I tell them that it's cheaper to ride my bike. Buying new shoes all the time was a big issue when I pedi-commuted. Oops, that term sounds a bit off when I said it aloud.
Matariki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 07:32 PM   #21
tigerteeuwen
Senior Member
 
tigerteeuwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Usually all my customers/friends at work as me if I rode.

That's all i say "I rode" when i bike into work.

usually when i describe myself getting into more extreme forms of biking i say "ride"

and when i want to ask someone socially to ride with me i say "wanna bike"
tigerteeuwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 10:02 PM   #22
Medic Zero
Senior Member
 
Medic Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
Posts: 2,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraus View Post
To me commuting is a generic term that means going to and from work, independent of mode of travel.

Of course this forum is about a specific kind of commuting, commuting by bike, bike commuting, riding your bike to work as a form of commuting, or whatever you want to all it. For some of us this may be a mixed mode commuting involving bikes and transit.

Maybe what we need is a special word for bike commuting, like "cyclomuting" and we can be "cyclomuters"
Yeah, no. Don't like those proposed new words.
Medic Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 10:04 PM   #23
Medic Zero
Senior Member
 
Medic Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
Posts: 2,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
I hate the term "bike" because people usually assume when I rode my bike to work, I took the Harley.
This. Given the amount of times I end up explaining that I mean bicycle, I have to wonder how often people assume I meant motorcycle. Especially considering I'm a big, bearded, getting older, guy.
Medic Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 10:09 PM   #24
Medic Zero
Senior Member
 
Medic Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
Posts: 2,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Yeah, I don't see your point. Commuting just describes the generic act of traveling from home to work and back. The mode of travel can be anything; I just happen to do it by bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what your videos were supposed to illustrate other than the fact that a rural commute has little traffic while an urban commute has lots of traffic.
Trying to find sense in Acidfast's postings is a fool's errand. (Not that I'm calling either of you fool's mind you! Just seemed like the right phrase)
Medic Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 10:14 PM   #25
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the term "commute" to mean just that - to commute. In other words, "commute" doesn't tell me anything about your mode of transport. I commute by bike 3-4 days a week. I commute by bus on the other days. I know a few co-workers who commute by car.

When I want to emphasize the mode of transport, I clearly state "I ride (a bike) to work," "I take the bus to work," etc.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 PM.