Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-13, 09:35 PM   #1
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie

Hi, I am just now getting interested in commuting to my classes at school. I know absolutely nothing about bikes and need help picking one out. Some factors that may impact what bike I get are that I want to be able to ride the bike as a commuter without any problems, but am also looking to get into some heavier riding when my baseball career is over at the end of the spring. Also you should know that I go to school on the hilliest campus in America. The price range I'd be willing to pay is anything under $1500 dollars. Thanks for your help glad I found this site!
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 09:55 PM   #2
Isaiahc72
Senior Member
 
Isaiahc72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
Hi, I am just now getting interested in commuting to my classes at school. I know absolutely nothing about bikes and need help picking one out. Some factors that may impact what bike I get are that I want to be able to ride the bike as a commuter without any problems, but am also looking to get into some heavier riding when my baseball career is over at the end of the spring. Also you should know that I go to school on the hilliest campus in America. The price range I'd be willing to pay is anything under $1500 dollars. Thanks for your help glad I found this site!
Check your local bike shop would be the first advice I'll give you. The type of bike you should get would probably be a hybrid or possible a road bike. Your bike shop should be able to recommend one to you or you could go on Craigslist and find some good bikes. Top brands to look for include but are not limited to Trek, Specialized, Giant, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, and Raleigh. After that, make sure to invest about $50 in a good U-lock for the bike and possibly a rear rack and some fenders. You'll also want to buy a good set of lights for the bike so that you can be seen in the dark. You can either carry a backpack or have panniers or some sort of bags then mounted to your rear rack with all the tools needed for basic maintenance. I usually carry a spare tube, wrench, frame pump, chain tool, and a spare chain link.

This is my setup. I live in the Ozarks which is known for being hilly and I get around perfectly on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 577567_257629467721033_1553350207_n.jpg (99.5 KB, 14 views)
Isaiahc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 10:49 PM   #3
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiahc72 View Post
Check your local bike shop would be the first advice I'll give you. The type of bike you should get would probably be a hybrid or possible a road bike. Your bike shop should be able to recommend one to you or you could go on Craigslist and find some good bikes. Top brands to look for include but are not limited to Trek, Specialized, Giant, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, and Raleigh. After that, make sure to invest about $50 in a good U-lock for the bike and possibly a rear rack and some fenders. You'll also want to buy a good set of lights for the bike so that you can be seen in the dark. You can either carry a backpack or have panniers or some sort of bags then mounted to your rear rack with all the tools needed for basic maintenance. I usually carry a spare tube, wrench, frame pump, chain tool, and a spare chain link.

This is my setup. I live in the Ozarks which is known for being hilly and I get around perfectly on this.
Thanks! That helps a lot. Somebody said something to me about Salsa Vaya? Would you recommend this?
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 10:53 PM   #4
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 30,017
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
Hi, I am just now getting interested in commuting to my classes at school. .... Also you should know that I go to school on the hilliest campus in America. The price range I'd be willing to pay is anything under $1500 dollars. ....
I can't help you on a bike choice, since I don't stay up with current offerings. But times sure have changed. Imagine, a college student with $1500!!!.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:02 PM   #5
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I can't help you on a bike choice, since I don't stay up with current offerings. But times sure have changed. Imagine, a college student with $1500!!!.
Haha summer jobs + scholarships. I'm looking at it as an investment I don't want to get a bike I'll grow sick of after a while.
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:17 PM   #6
Isaiahc72
Senior Member
 
Isaiahc72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
Thanks! That helps a lot. Somebody said something to me about Salsa Vaya? Would you recommend this?
It would definitely do the job very well. If it's the one you like then go for it
Isaiahc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:35 PM   #7
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiahc72 View Post
It would definitely do the job very well. If it's the one you like then go for it
Would the Vaya be a good bike for long rides when I just want some exercise on the road too?
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:49 PM   #8
treadtread
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a college student, I'd worry about theft. $1500 is a lot for a college bike.
treadtread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:51 PM   #9
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadtread View Post
As a college student, I'd worry about theft. $1500 is a lot for a college bike.
I'm not living in a dorm and can take the bike in my home.
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:57 PM   #10
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
I'm not living in a dorm and can take the bike in my home.
what would be a good quality bike you'd suggest for my circumstances then?
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 01:00 AM   #11
Isaiahc72
Senior Member
 
Isaiahc72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
what would be a good quality bike you'd suggest for my circumstances then?
The Vaya would be good for long rides. But a good quality bike for a college student would probably be something like one of Trek's FX series or if you like road bikes, try and find a Trek, Specialized, or Giant for $1,000 or under. I definitely enjoy my Trek 7.1FX. And it's right by their lowest FX model and it still does great on long rides. Now I imagine a 7.4fx or higher. Definitely something worth looking into as far as hybrids go
Isaiahc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 01:37 AM   #12
polishmadman
I don't get out enough
 
polishmadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: las vegas
Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
I'm not living in a dorm and can take the bike in my home.
You're going to lock it up at some point. A good lock will help you keep it.
polishmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 01:41 AM   #13
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7
 
Ghost Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada/604
Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay1919 View Post
I'm not living in a dorm and can take the bike in my home.
What about during classes???
Our Universities/Colleges are prime targets for bike theives.
Ghost Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 08:05 AM   #14
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Play bikes and work bikes are so different that it is worth having 2 bikes, if you have the storage room.
For an everyday campus commuter, you shouldn't spend too much because of security issues. You need enough quality to be durable and reliable. $300-800 midrange bikes are usually a good bet. You also need to budget for accessories such as lights, fenders, luggage racks, panniers, helmet, lock, repair kit and you need to run some premium, puncture-resistant commuter tyres to get you to school on time
In hilly terrain you need a triple front chainring, so 24 (3x8) to 27 (3x9) gears (the number of rear cogs makes minor difference).
You need tyre clearance for medium sized tyres + fenders. In snowy areas you need extra clearance for studded winter tyres.
The wheel size, 26" MTB or 700c hybrid makes little difference for commuters. I have used both.
Brand makes little difference in the same price bracket. You may want advice and backup from a local bikeshop so pick your shop first. Get a bike the right size.
Used bikes can be good value if they are not worn out.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 09:28 PM   #15
aclay1919
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ended up going with the Cannondale Bad Boy 9. Thank you all
aclay1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 PM.