Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-14, 04:28 PM   #1
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
LBS says no Dyno Hub on Disk Brake bike - Is that right?

I'm starting to zero in on a new commuter I think might work for me. It's the KHS Green 8 step-through frame. Here's a link to the specs: http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2014-kh...ls/green-8-14/.

I'm trying to get away from rim brakes, and the guy at the LBS says that this bike can be equipped with a disk brake on front. Problem is, I also want dyno hub lighting. The guy at the shop says that there's no way to use a generator hub on a wheel with a disk brake. That doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know a lot about brakes or dyno hubs. So, all-knowing forum members, help me out here. Is that right, or is this guy confused?
Giant Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 04:34 PM   #2
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There was one posted on here within the last week. I think it was from a German wheelbuilder, a big one.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 04:42 PM   #3
mrbubbles
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dynamo disc hub search says there's plenty of dynamo disc hub on the market. I have 3 disc dynamo hubs myself, all different models.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 04:47 PM   #4
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-or-lbs-build

follow the link on the first post in the string
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 04:52 PM   #5
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-or-lbs-build

follow the link on the first post in the string
Thanks! I didn't think that sounded right.

My problem now is that Memphis doesn't have a culture of transportation cycling, so I'm having trouble finding an LBS that can answer basic questions like this. Even if I figure out on my own which wheel/hub to order, I'm going to have a heck of a time finding a shop I trust to install it.
Giant Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 05:00 PM   #6
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ya, you're limited to Shimano, SON and Shutter Precision. And maybe a few more
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 05:03 PM   #7
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I use the Shimano Alfine DH-S501 dynamo hub on my disc brake bike. I liked it so much, I bought one to use on my rim brake bike. See the installation sheet at techdocs.shimano.com It's available in either black or silver. There are probably others out there, but this is the one I own and have experience with.

Your LBS can also order a prebuilt wheel with that hub from QBP's Handspun Wheels division--either the stock WE7246 or one built to your specification. My LBS ordered to my spec when I got the one for the rim brake bike. Velocity A23 hoop (black), DH-S501 hub (black), DT Revolution spokes laced 3-cross, with brass nipples. Came in two days later.

The picture of the WE7246 shows the rubber cover in place over the rotor mount. It just pops off and you put on your rotor.

EDIT: The installation sheet I linked to above, also shows how to do the wiring. With luck, your bike will have a hole on the front of the fork crown for mounting a caliper brake or fender. Your light will mount there. (There are also handlebar mounts available.) Shimano shows wrapping the wire around the fork. I used Jagwire's stick-on cable guides (or was it the stick-on hydraulic brake hose guides?) on the inside of the fork leg instead. A little neater installation. On one bike I use those to run the taillight wire. On the other I just used zip ties

Last edited by tsl; 01-04-14 at 05:17 PM.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 05:58 PM   #8
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
ya, you're limited to Shimano, SON and Shutter Precision. And maybe a few more
And SRAM. And the other SP clones, like Supernova. Pretty much I think there's no Sanyo-branded disc generator hub, but the oft-repeated rumour is that Sanyo makes the internals for several other manufacturers anyway.

I guess, technically, the LBS guy is right b/c, technically, these hubs create alternating current so they're generators. Dynamos produce direct current. So, yeah, he ain't lying... he's just wrong.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 06:10 PM   #9
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,325
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal View Post
I guess, technically, the LBS guy is right b/c, technically, these hubs create alternating current so they're generators. Dynamos produce direct current. So, yeah, he ain't lying... he's just wrong.
Is this a technical distinction? Merriam Webster says dynamo is synonymous with generator, which is how I've always understood it. Dynamo is more common in British English and generator in American English, or so I've been led to believe. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dynamo

Whatever the case, I think it may be harder to get a generator/dynamo hub WITHOUT a disc mount than the other way around.
grolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 06:23 PM   #10
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Generators produce AC; dynamos produce DC. The dictionary would be a lot thicker if they got into every minute technical distinction. To the lay-person, either one is a thing that produces energy. To those of us who frequent online forums to get pedantic about bike components, it makes a difference... Although every bike geegaw I've ever seen that isn't running on batteries takes AC...

Don't get me started on the "cog" thing....
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 06:28 PM   #11
mrbubbles
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I use the Shimano Alfine DH-S501 dynamo hub on my disc brake bike. I liked it so much, I bought one to use on my rim brake bike. See the installation sheet at techdocs.shimano.com It's available in either black or silver. There are probably others out there, but this is the one I own and have experience with.
My hubs.

1. SP PD-8 with Mavic Open Pro, sapim spokes.
2. Shimano Deore XT dynamo with Mavic A319, pillar spokes.
3. Shimano Deore LX dynamo with Alex ACE18, DT swiss champion spokes.

All silver in colour except the shimano hubs are black. All of these are disc hubs.

Also have a Shimano capreo dynamo hub for a folding bike (it was hard finding somebody who could cut really really short spokes).

They all run great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
EDIT: The installation sheet I linked to above, also shows how to do the wiring. With luck, your bike will have a hole on the front of the fork crown for mounting a caliper brake or fender. Your light will mount there. (There are also handlebar mounts available.) Shimano shows wrapping the wire around the fork. I used Jagwire's stick-on cable guides (or was it the stick-on hydraulic brake hose guides?) on the inside of the fork leg instead. A little neater installation. On one bike I use those to run the taillight wire. On the other I just used zip ties
I just use electrical tape and tape the wire inside the fork.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 06:46 PM   #12
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I use the Shimano Alfine DH-S501 dynamo hub on my disc brake bike. I liked it so much, I bought one to use on my rim brake bike. See the installation sheet at techdocs.shimano.com It's available in either black or silver. There are probably others out there, but this is the one I own and have experience with.

Your LBS can also order a prebuilt wheel with that hub from QBP's Handspun Wheels division--either the stock WE7246 or one built to your specification. My LBS ordered to my spec when I got the one for the rim brake bike. Velocity A23 hoop (black), DH-S501 hub (black), DT Revolution spokes laced 3-cross, with brass nipples. Came in two days later.

The picture of the WE7246 shows the rubber cover in place over the rotor mount. It just pops off and you put on your rotor.

EDIT: The installation sheet I linked to above, also shows how to do the wiring. With luck, your bike will have a hole on the front of the fork crown for mounting a caliper brake or fender. Your light will mount there. (There are also handlebar mounts available.) Shimano shows wrapping the wire around the fork. I used Jagwire's stick-on cable guides (or was it the stick-on hydraulic brake hose guides?) on the inside of the fork leg instead. A little neater installation. On one bike I use those to run the taillight wire. On the other I just used zip ties
Thank you. I may just print out your response and take it in with me!
Giant Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 07:04 PM   #13
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,325
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal View Post
Generators produce AC; dynamos produce DC. The dictionary would be a lot thicker if they got into every minute technical distinction. To the lay-person, either one is a thing that produces energy. To those of us who frequent online forums to get pedantic about bike components, it makes a difference... Although every bike geegaw I've ever seen that isn't running on batteries takes AC...

Don't get me started on the "cog" thing....
A quick look on Wikipedia suggests that dynamos are a class of generator, and produce DC. No mention of generators being AC-specific at all. I've been pedantic about bike parts for years, and I've never heard anyone else make this distinction. Not that I'm trying to start an argument over this, I was just curious.
grolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 07:28 PM   #14
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts unknown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
And maybe a few more
To get away from rim brakes, you could even go with a Sturmey-Archer X-FDD Dynohub with its drum brake or a Shimano dynamo hub with a roller brake.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 08:12 PM   #15
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
A quick look on Wikipedia suggests that dynamos are a class of generator, and produce DC. No mention of generators being AC-specific at all. I've been pedantic about bike parts for years, and I've never heard anyone else make this distinction. Not that I'm trying to start an argument over this, I was just curious.
You're probably right... to be a dynamo, it's gotta produce DC.... but there's no reason to believe that a dynamo isn't a generator. It's like, a Dachshund is a specific type of dog, but it's still a dog....

Still, none of the generator hubs mentioned on these threads are dynamos, though. And none of my bikes have any cogs on 'em.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 08:14 PM   #16
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
To get away from rim brakes, you could even go with a Sturmey-Archer X-FDD Dynohub with its drum brake or a Shimano dynamo hub with a roller brake.
I love my x-fdd hubs. Wanna build the next around the 90mm drum-equipped xl-fdd....
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 09:21 PM   #17
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
A quick look on Wikipedia suggests that dynamos are a class of generator, and produce DC. No mention of generators being AC-specific at all. I've been pedantic about bike parts for years, and I've never heard anyone else make this distinction. Not that I'm trying to start an argument over this, I was just curious.
psst!.... i think the post might have a generator and an alternator mixed up. along with the difference between a producer of energy and something that changes its form. in this case from kinetic energy to electrical energy. it's called a transducer, i think. but 'nuf said.

it's really not important on a bike forum, is it? really.
hueyhoolihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 10:20 PM   #18
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
Posts: 5,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Generator=produces current
Dynamo=produces DC current
Alternator=produces AC current
Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 02:49 AM   #19
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
full wheel

700c

front wheel dynamo (Alfine DH-S501)

disc brakes (also works with rim brakes)

€88 for the machine built and hand-trued front wheel

€20 for shipping and customs to the US from Germany

€108 total which is roughly $130 (not sure how much you're getting charged but this is a very nice off the shelf solution from a very reputable site)

http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8...;product=62193
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 06:44 AM   #20
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 2,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Generator=produces current
Dynamo=produces DC current
Alternator=produces AC current
I beg to differ. I have a Shimano dyno. It produces AC. My lights are designed to run off AC. But to charge my iPhone and other electronics I need DC and that requires a power converter to rectify the voltage.

Magnets have a north pole and a south pole. On each rev of the wheel the coils move past the north or south pole and "alternately" produce positive and negative voltage on each side of the circuit. By definition, alternating current.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 07:11 AM   #21
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
I beg to differ. I have a Shimano dyno. It produces AC. My lights are designed to run off AC. But to charge my iPhone and other electronics I need DC and that requires a power converter to rectify the voltage.

Magnets have a north pole and a south pole. On each rev of the wheel the coils move past the north or south pole and "alternately" produce positive and negative voltage on each side of the circuit. By definition, alternating current.
Certain models are AC and certain models are DC.

TT sells a 5V USB transformer.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 07:22 AM   #22
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 2,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Certain models are AC and certain models are DC.

TT sells a 5V USB transformer.
A little research shows me that it is not entirely unambiguous because some of the terminology is confusingly similar. According to Wikapedia I was surprised to find that they say a "Dynamo" by definition produces DC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo. "A dynamo is an electrical generator that produces direct current with the use of a commutator."

But reading further that article also says "A small electrical generator built into the hub of a bicycle wheel to power lights is called a hub dynamo, although these are invariably AC devices,[SUP][1][/SUP] and are actually magnetos."

We're obviously talking about a "hub dynamo" on BF. I'm not aware of hub dynamos that output DC. Are you?
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 07:48 AM   #23
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
A little research shows me that it is not entirely unambiguous because some of the terminology is confusingly similar. According to Wikapedia I was surprised to find that they say a "Dynamo" by definition produces DC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo. "A dynamo is an electrical generator that produces direct current with the use of a commutator."

But reading further that article also says "A small electrical generator built into the hub of a bicycle wheel to power lights is called a hub dynamo, although these are invariably AC devices,[SUP][1][/SUP] and are actually magnetos."

We're obviously talking about a "hub dynamo" on BF. I'm not aware of hub dynamos that output DC. Are you?
Not hub dynamos (nabendynamo) ... but some "bottle generators" are 6V DC (LiteSpin for example).
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 08:06 AM   #24
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 2,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Not hub dynamos (nabendynamo) ... but some "bottle generators" are 6V DC (LiteSpin for example).
When you say "not hub dynamo" what is your point? You disagree that hub dynamos generate AC?

Edit: I misunderstood. You're saying hub dynamo is AC, bottle is DC I guess...

Last edited by Walter S; 01-05-14 at 08:12 AM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 08:09 AM   #25
likebike23 
Rides Majestic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westfield, MA
Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe the confusion stems from the naming of generator hubs by Sturmy Archer. They called them "dynohubs" which is technically a misnomer, but the name stuck. It's kind of like calling a cola a coke or a cotton swab a Q-tip.
likebike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 PM.