Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-14, 11:39 AM   #1
e0richt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 982
the weirdo is back...

Its 41*F, snow is on the ground, road pretty clear with some slush, it was sprinkling earlier...
I decided to go ride my commute to see how the roads were... I have a 6 mile commute (one way) and it
was a beautiful day (warmth wise), the roads were wet but no real problems.

so I get back home, and as I am getting the bike stored, I hear my young son yell to mom... hey mom! the weirdo is back!

I guess some people just don't understand the beauty of a ride...
e0richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 11:49 AM   #2
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,782
Put his X-Box on the back porch.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 03:26 PM   #3
JB01245
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver Front Range
Bikes: www.amoebalight.blogspot.com
Posts: 61
LOL My wife and daughters think I am the weirdo also for wanting to ride my bike in some of the most extreme conditions. Thanks for making me laugh out loud while I am in the house by myself watching football today


*****
JB01245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 03:31 PM   #4
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
You must admit it is obtuse.

I haven't missed a single day of commuting by bike since my FGSS arrived in England.

People I told over Xmas (Germans and Americans) were shocked that I commute 20km RT by bike in the English winter when the bus stops 20m from my front door and 20m from my office door.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 03:47 PM   #5
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '93 Bianchi Europa, '88 Trek 360
Posts: 4,813
I certainly don't mean to comment on anyone's business. But I think what some people may call a commute... they've actually turned into an extreme sport (or activity of sorts). I don't think that's a bad thing! But commuting is just getting back and forth from where we have to go to earn.... it's the earning that is the focus. When the commute becomes the center of interest, enjoyment, or pride.... that's cool. But is it still a commute?
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 03:52 PM   #6
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
I certainly don't mean to comment on anyone's business. But I think what some people may call a commute... they've actually turned into an extreme sport (or activity of sorts). I don't think that's a bad thing! But commuting is just getting back and forth from where we have to go to earn.... it's the earning that is the focus. When the commute becomes the center of interest, enjoyment, or pride.... that's cool. But is it still a commute?
I wouldn't even consider what I do a job!

It does provide a means of subsistence, but I don't use roughly half of the money.

In fact, I'm probably quite selfish and enjoy almost all of my waking hours when I'm "commuting", "working", "on a business trip" or simply at the pub!
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 03:56 PM   #7
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
Its 41*F, snow is on the ground, road pretty clear with some slush, it was sprinkling earlier...
I decided to go ride my commute to see how the roads were... I have a 6 mile commute (one way) and it
was a beautiful day (warmth wise), the roads were wet but no real problems.

so I get back home, and as I am getting the bike stored, I hear my young son yell to mom... hey mom! the weirdo is back!

I guess some people just don't understand the beauty of a ride...
Love It...
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 06:43 PM   #8
bluegoatwoods
Senior Member
 
bluegoatwoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 686
I think 'enlightenment' needs two steps.

The first is the realization that cold and/or damp, even wet, is much less uncomfortable on a bicycle. But that's not enough on it's own. For instance, we're in that deep freeze right now that most everyone has been hearing about. (Early Jan., 2014) As a result, I did a bunch of snow shoveling today. Burning calories, I was dressed more lightly than many folks might have done yet I was still more than warm enough. Yet it still wasn't all that much fun. Not bad, but not 'great'.

A bicycle ride, though, has something beyond merely being more comfortable (for given conditions) than others might suspect. I'm not articulate enough to describe that. And I don't need to; anyone reading this already understands.

When we're riding, we're more comfortable and more 'happy' than an outsider is capable of understanding.

Since they don't understand they are forced to think that we're either lying or crazy.
bluegoatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 07:53 PM   #9
bubbagrannygear
just ride
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Jersey
Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods View Post
A bicycle ride, though, has something beyond merely being more comfortable (for given conditions) than others might suspect. I'm not articulate enough to describe that. And I don't need to; anyone reading this already understands.

When we're riding, we're more comfortable and more 'happy' than an outsider is capable of understanding.

Since they don't understand they are forced to think that we're either lying or crazy.
+1 - can't tell you how many times I've been riding home 9 miles in frozen rain in the dark - totally happy - but knowing there's no way to explain it to someone in a car
bubbagrannygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 08:26 PM   #10
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 12,930
My family has never really said anything, but I don't think they think much of it anymore unless the temps are below zero.

I'll probably blow off the ride tomorrow and work from home assuming the internet stays up, because we've had a metric buttload of snow and it won't be plowed by morning. Come Tuesday it should be fine though, other than -30*F wind chills but that doesn't really bother me, I don't have to shovel cold.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.