Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 201
  1. #26
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Hollywood Racks . com sounds like it would be something else entirely.
    I spoke with the owner of Blackbottoms shorts (cycle wear) at the show and apparently they get the same kind of mis-guided "customers" looking at their site for something else entirely!

    Rick / OCRR

  2. #27
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,538
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having discovered sex and drugs and rock-n-roll in the early 70s, I barely graduated from high school. Interestingly, one of the courses I had to make up in summer school was gym. It was about the last time I was physically active before taking up cycling a few years back.

    After a couple of decades in IT, these days I work as a clerk at the front desk (Circulation) of a neighborhood branch public library, starting just after lunch and working until closing. It's essentially a customer service position.

    I've had patrons stop me in the street to return books and DVDs. Fortunately, there's usually room in the panniers. I've also ridden a few blocks with patrons on their way to the library.

    OTOH, while the library is in a borderline area, my commute takes me through what can only be described as da 'hood. I won't stop there. I've been offered five bags for my bike. Although, that was for my now-retired bright yellow full-Sora Trek. My bare Ti full-DuraAce Litespeed has never attracted any attention.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2013 Lynskey R340, 2014 Specialized Tricross
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I arbitrate medical necessity and Healthcare Acquired Conditions with Medicare and Insurance companies on behalf of the hospital and patient. Before that I was a Neuro ICU RN, Emergency RN, Paramedic, and Light Infantry Medic occasionally tasked out to the Sniper platoon. My commute is 20 miles.
    medical_center_front.jpg

  4. #29
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yelm, WA
    My Bikes
    VeloVie Vitesse 300SE
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a US Army Warrant Officer. Have served for 14 years and plan on doing 11 more. I mainly ride 20-25 miles during my lunch time.

  5. #30
    Senior Member Consularrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Giant Transend, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another fed.

  6. #31
    Fork and spoon operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hopkins, Minnesota
    My Bikes
    2013 Surly Crosscheck, 2003 Trek 7200, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 199x Schwinn police bike
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that you've brought people's books and DVDs back to the library for them!

    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    After having discovered sex and drugs and rock-n-roll in the early 70s, I barely graduated from high school. Interestingly, one of the courses I had to make up in summer school was gym. It was about the last time I was physically active before taking up cycling a few years back.

    After a couple of decades in IT, these days I work as a clerk at the front desk (Circulation) of a neighborhood branch public library, starting just after lunch and working until closing. It's essentially a customer service position.

    I've had patrons stop me in the street to return books and DVDs. Fortunately, there's usually room in the panniers. I've also ridden a few blocks with patrons on their way to the library.

    OTOH, while the library is in a borderline area, my commute takes me through what can only be described as da 'hood. I won't stop there. I've been offered five bags for my bike. Although, that was for my now-retired bright yellow full-Sora Trek. My bare Ti full-DuraAce Litespeed has never attracted any attention.

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a solution architect (sort of a sales engineer/program manager) for a Health IT company in San Francisco (South Beach/SOMA). I have my BS in Computer science. Our office is very bike friendly, with indoor bike storage and a shower for those of use with longer commutes. On an average day there are probably 10-20 bikes in an office of about 100 people. Really nice days might have 30 bikes.

    While I think there may be a lot of stereo types about who bike to work and why, I think San Francisco is one of the cities that stereotypes are not true as people with all types of jobs, education levels, and financial situations bike to work for many reasons. I see line cooks at restaurants biking to work, but I also see engineers, startup founders, and executives bike to work in and around San Francisco. I am sure many bike-commuters co-workers think they are odd (particularly those of use with longer commutes) but most people I know seem to think its a good thing, even if they think you are crazy for doing it.

  8. #33
    Fork and spoon operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hopkins, Minnesota
    My Bikes
    2013 Surly Crosscheck, 2003 Trek 7200, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 199x Schwinn police bike
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I teach engineering and physics at a community college in a near-ring suburb of Minneapolis. On really cold or snowy days every student I run into asks, "did you bike TODAY?" In my spare time I play jazz guitar on a nylon-string, although I haven't played outside my house in many years.

  9. #34
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyTheDog View Post
    I teach engineering and physics at a community college in a near-ring suburb of Minneapolis. On really cold or snowy days every student I run into asks, "did you bike TODAY?" In my spare time I play jazz guitar on a nylon-string, although I haven't played outside my house in many years.
    Hopkins is a nice area. Dated a girl who lived there for awhile.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    736
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redvette View Post
    I've been lurking here for awhile and I haven't seen any threads on the subject. So, I'd like to know where you all work and what your job entails. I got thinking about it since anyone that I talk to believes that if you commute by bike, you don't have an education.
    I'm a team lead in the accounting department at an architecture/engineering/urban planning/etc. firm. On the education side, I have a 2-year college diploma, earned part time over 4 years, and am currently working on a bachelor's degree in the same field.

    If there was a physical quesiton of where, it's a downtown office, in a pleasant historic building. Working for architects is awesome, we get some pretty sweet digs.

  11. #36
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,446
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    secure undisclosed location On a need to know basis ..

  12. #37
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    I'm a team lead in the accounting department at an architecture/engineering/urban planning/etc. firm. On the education side, I have a 2-year college diploma, earned part time over 4 years, and am currently working on a bachelor's degree in the same field.

    If there was a physical quesiton of where, it's a downtown office, in a pleasant historic building. Working for architects is awesome, we get some pretty sweet digs.
    Opposite for me. Large factory and the priority is on the manufacturing side. Carpet is from the 60's furniture is all a mishmash. Some of the higher ups have slightly nicer furnishings and the sales department has slightly nicer carpeting (since customers see it). I have windows though so it's not all bad.

  13. #38
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    20,450
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just started working as a consultant at a tech company, doing programmer-type stuff. It's 60-odd miles from home, so they're letting me work from home four days a week. Two hours each way, one day a week. I can't complain. I can take the train, which beats the pants off driving.

    Picture at this link

    It's at the old American Standard toilet factory! This is in Hamilton, NJ, near Trenton. "Trenton makes. The world takes."
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  14. #39
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    I just started working as a consultant at a tech company, doing programmer-type stuff. It's 60-odd miles from home, so they're letting me work from home four days a week. Two hours each way, one day a week. I can't complain. I can take the train, which beats the pants off driving.

    Picture at this link

    It's at the old American Standard toilet factory! This is in Hamilton, NJ, near Trenton. "Trenton makes. The world takes."
    That place is huge. I'm assuming there is more than one business located there?

  15. #40
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    20,450
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    That place is huge. I'm assuming there is more than one business located there?
    Yes, there are very many businesses there.

    Interestingly, the only highway that runs by it is I-295, which is a relatively new Interstate. So in the old days, I guess the factory workers were expected to ride by train. The train is a short walk. Driving there takes a long time because of the lack of highways.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the team lead for a bunch of java programmers. We write GIS software for telecommunications companies such as AT&T to do "outside plant" network design and analysis.

  17. #42
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern CaliFORNIA.
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,950
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    After having discovered sex and drugs and rock-n-roll in the early 70s, I barely graduated from high school. Interestingly, one of the courses I had to make up in summer school was gym. It was about the last time I was physically active before taking up cycling a few years back.
    I managed to graduate from high school by "majoring" in Band and Shop. (sex and drugs and John Phillip Sousa?- The Sousa actually prevented the sex, which led to the drugs. )

    After a stint in the military, I had the good fortune to be able to do high school over at a community college, eventually transferring to, and getting a degree from a state university.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

  18. #43
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality assurance at a small defense contractor.
    Analog man in a digital world.

  19. #44
    Senior Member steve-in-kville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    '10 Windsor Tourist; '14 Kilo TT Stripper; 80's Bianchi SS/FG
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a bulk food distributor, in the warehouse. I am very fortunate since I can wheel my bike to my desk and keep it there. I am the only commuter of about 250 people that are employed at my location.
    Best regards - steve
    ****************

  20. #45
    idc
    idc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia/DC
    My Bikes
    GT road, Kona Jake disc, Wabi Special FG, Swift Folder, beater 26" MTB, Genesis Day 00
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in software, and have a bachelor's and master's (in engineering).

    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    Hey! I have one of those!
    Me too, I have an F1B although one of my straps broke recently. Need to order another.

  21. #46
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,417
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    Quality assurance at a small defense contractor.
    Did they notice any Cobalt 60 missing...?
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  22. #47
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,135
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redvette View Post
    I've been lurking here for awhile and I haven't seen any threads on the subject. So, I'd like to know where you all work and what your job entails. I got thinking about it since anyone that I talk to believes that if you commute by bike, you don't have an education. I'll start it off...
    Since you asked, to support your contention that educated people cycle-commute, I'm a decades-long, year-round, cycle-commuting pathologist at a suburban Boston hospital, with an MD degree and board-certified in four specialties. I do admit that many at work call me crazy, but I’ve also been called a saint.

    My hospital is an ideal destination for a cycle commuter. I bring the bike inside near my office, and have a place to hang my cycling clothes and a table fan to dry them off. For the most part I wear surgical scrubs all day so I don't necessarily have to clean off on arrival (I shower at home before the ride). I do have shower facilities though, as well as a coffee shop and cafeteria on site. Finally, almost all my personal service needs like barber shop, dentist, dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance, or a short hop on the bike.

  23. #48
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in computer networking (large company) in hardware engineering
    BSEE and MSEE degrees are part of my 'edjubication'

  24. #49
    Senior Member kjmillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Displaced Texan
    My Bikes
    1984 Raliegh Wyoming, 1978 Schwinn Traveller, 2011 Wheeler Trekking Lite 3600
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After many jobs in the service industries I finally went back to school at age 34, finishing a BA-Ed. I'm currently teaching EFL at an elementary school in Taiwan after teaching middle and high school for many years in Houston, TX.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"......yea, right!

  25. #50
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me dum wit no edukation either . . . straight D & F hi skool stoodent ~ After such a horrific experience I swore off education forever. Now work in a niche, non-profit who researches/makes educational and adaptive products for blind or impaired individuals. I know braille and use it to transcribe books, tests, other material, and create the tactile artwork for that material. I am proud that I was an integral part of a new printing technique that is revolutionizing the industry
    A great job
    -ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •