Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Finding my dream commuter... (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/932323-finding-my-dream-commuter.html)

cskilbeck 02-01-14 06:06 AM

Finding my dream commuter...
 
I'd like to find my dream commuter as follows:

Hub gears (Rohloff 14 or Alfine 8/11?)
Belt Drive
Hydraulic disc brakes
Flat handlebars
Light upright-ish frame
Thinnish wheels
Proper mudguards (not flared, not seatpost mounted)

Is this even possible? The closest I've seen is the Spot Ajax, which only just misses out by having mechanical brakes.

Does anyone have any ideas?

alan s 02-01-14 07:07 AM

Anything is possible if you want to build yourself and fork out the money. Looking at $3k with Rohloff.

gregjones 02-01-14 08:49 AM

Try here:
First post uncovered with search function.

And........there are others.

fietsbob 02-01-14 10:55 AM

If a mass produced bike has most of what you wish , the shop you buy from can change things that differ..

Quote:

The closest I've seen is the Spot Ajax, which only just misses out by having mechanical brakes.
then you pay the shop to change the brakes and pay the extra Cost.

dynaryder 02-01-14 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cskilbeck (Post 16458523)
The closest I've seen is the Spot Ajax, which only just misses out by having mechanical brakes.

Spot Wazee. Just add fenders.

Axiom 02-01-14 05:15 PM

Check out the Scott Venture 10. Has everything you're looking for, and even has a rack.

-=(8)=- 02-01-14 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axiom (Post 16459728)
Check out the Scott Venture 10. Has everything you're looking for, and even has a rack.

I posted a similar thread about 3 weeks ago. Im glad I checked this one out too ~ that Scott looks perfect for me after a bar change :thumb:
Pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking too. I even like the matte black!

Nice find. Thanks again. :)

cskilbeck 02-03-14 03:27 AM

Spot Acme
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=(8)=- (Post 16459787)
I posted a similar thread about 3 weeks ago. Im glad I checked this one out too ~ that Scott looks perfect for me after a bar change :thumb:
Pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking too. I even like the matte black!

Nice find. Thanks again. :)

Looks like the Spot Acme is exactly what I want, all I have to do is add fenders. Thanks all.

rms13 02-03-14 11:18 AM

this might tick off all the boxes you are looking for

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-road...ceo-misceo-4-0

PatrickGSR94 02-03-14 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rms13 (Post 16464070)
this might tick off all the boxes you are looking for

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-road...ceo-misceo-4-0

Will that one take fenders? Looks like an awesome ride!

hir0 02-03-14 06:00 PM

hard to say but downtube/seatpost fenders are an option

ret3 02-04-14 04:28 PM

How about one with a N360? http://www.rei.com/product/857590/no...tham-bike-2014

dynaryder 02-04-14 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16464170)
Will that one take fenders? Looks like an awesome ride!

From the pics I can find on the interwebs,I'd say yes. I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

-=(8)=- 02-04-14 06:50 PM

Close?

http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/d...14-fairfax-sc6

:thumb:

acidfast7 02-04-14 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=362883

fietsbob 02-04-14 07:08 PM

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

I'm OK with 26" but AF7 likes 700c

acidfast7 02-04-14 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16468350)
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

I'm OK with 26" but AF7 likes 700c

I think 559s are nice often, but I like 622s on the street. 559s are good on cyclepaths and such though. It also depends on what's being carried.

I'm a SS man now ;)

fietsbob 02-04-14 07:16 PM

so you say, young lad, so you say :50:

Actually , Just fine with my 8 year old Koga WTR .

acidfast7 02-04-14 07:22 PM

I have a lot of colleagues with fathers that only buy Koga bikes ... nothing else.

fietsbob 02-04-14 07:34 PM

Mine is a Fluke, since there are not really any Dealers in the US and I got it used
[without going thru E-bay]..
Shipped postpaid, from North Carolina..

yea I'm probably old enough to be your father ..

cskilbeck 02-10-14 03:36 AM

That Koga Bike Configurator is like crack. This is my dream commuter, a snip at 1800 quid:

• Frame type Traveller KS-TR 28: Frame colour Mystic Black
• Fork KOGA Wide Bone rigid
• Group set Alfine 11/Gates belt drive
• Brakes Shimano hydraulic disc
• Tyres Vredestein Perfect Tour 37mm
• Rims and spokes KM21 Xstrong / Sapim Silver
• Saddle Selle Royal Wave
• Seat post KOGA Shock absorbing
• Handlebar KOGA Riser
• Stem KOGA Signature®
• Grips Ritchey WCS/Koga foam
• Pedals Shimano Combi PD-T780
• Mudguards SKS Chromoplastics
• Bell Widek Decibel II Kompas
• Weight 13.8 kg
• Price EUR 2193

PatrickGSR94 02-10-14 08:10 AM

Well it would be nice to configure a bike if the website didn't work like junk.

simplythebest 02-13-14 06:09 AM

New. tout terrain Metropolitan Alfine 11 CDR Gates with Extras £1300 Fair Price ?
 
New. tout terrain Metropolitan Alfine 11 CDR with Extras


Is £1300 a fair price ?


http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261395505310

acidfast7 02-13-14 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplythebest (Post 16492118)
New. tout terrain Metropolitan Alfine 11 CDR with Extras


Is £1300 a fair price ?


http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261395505310

You decide

official price list:

http://www.en.tout-terrain.de/filead..._2014_v1.1.pdf

acidfast7 02-13-14 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16482912)
Well it would be nice to configure a bike if the website didn't work like junk.

http://www.koga-signature.com/Build-...px?language=en

works fine for me ... but I only use Apple (iMac/rMBP/MP) products running 10.6 or newer!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.