Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 136
  1. #26
    Senior Member Slaninar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Novi Sad
    My Bikes
    Custom assembled on Polar Forrester frame. :)
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post
    Should I have stopped and greeted them?
    This has, perhaps most naively, crossed my mind. That's what i'd do in my neighbourhood. Not that I'm 100% sure it is wise.
    Evviva il comunismo e la libertÓ.

  2. #27
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side question: why are SUVs often associated with crimes? (not to imply this was a crime prevented)

  3. #28
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    4,989
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
    This has, perhaps most naively, crossed my mind. That's what i'd do in my neighbourhood. Not that I'm 100% sure it is wise.
    Me too.

    But, not where the OP is. Not sure about Serbia ... but in the EU, I don't have to worry about a ***. A knife maybe, but even that's defensible.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  4. #29
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,062
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering what happened prior to the first U-turn. There must have been something, since we've all seen u-turns that did not seem menacing, so something must have already been out of the ordinary.

    Were there looks and furtive glances? Hollering out of the windows? Slow driving? Something else?

  5. #30
    Senior Member sirtirithon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    I've been wondering what happened prior to the first U-turn. There must have been something, since we've all seen u-turns that did not seem menacing, so something must have already been out of the ordinary.

    Were there looks and furtive glances? Hollering out of the windows? Slow driving? Something else?
    They passed me and slowed down, stopped and then turned around and followed me. That's it.

  6. #31
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,062
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post
    They passed me and slowed down, stopped and then turned around and followed me. That's it.
    Regardless its better to get away than to have a vehicle beside you trying to knock you off. I don't agree those who are suggesting that turning off on a side street may have provoked them.

    It still seems like too much coincidence though. It being just a u-turn, you deciding to get scarce and them wanting to chase you down. Was anything even remotely familiar about the vehicle or its occupants?

  7. #32
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there anything special about your bike or what you were carrying/wearing? Were there other cyclists in the area? Was it unusual to see a cyclist at that time of the day? In other words, wonder if they were targeting anyone on a bike, or especially you.

  8. #33
    Senior Member sirtirithon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Was there anything special about your bike or what you were carrying/wearing? Were there other cyclists in the area? Was it unusual to see a cyclist at that time of the day? In other words, wonder if they were targeting anyone on a bike, or especially you.
    I was just riding my winter bike which I guess looks pretty nice to a bike thief. I honestly think they saw me as an easy target and they probably became pissed off when I turned out not to be. I see at least three other year round regular bike commuters that travel the area this occurred a couple times a week around the same time. So its very possible they were targeting cyclist.

    I wear Gore bike wear gear for winter commuting and a black balaclava. Also here is how my winter bike is setup.





    Last edited by sirtirithon; 02-05-14 at 01:27 PM.

  9. #34
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised they didn't simply outrun you in a car.

    M.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    My Bikes
    Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't simply outrun you in a car.

    M.
    you are right a car is faster though in given circumstances, a bike is infinitely more nimble...

  11. #36
    New Orleans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,475
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concealed Carry

  12. #37
    Senior Member sirtirithon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Concealed Carry
    I do all of the time except at work as I work for a college.

  13. #38
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    4,989
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Concealed Carry


    a *** is always the answer!
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  14. #39
    Senior Member sirtirithon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post

    This made me laugh for ten minutes straight!

  15. #40
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, scary stuff! Another vote that the OP did the right thing and congratulations that you were that quick thinking and nimble on the bike!

    This could have ended very badly!

    Rick / OCRR

  16. #41
    Speed is Life... UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NYC, duh Bronx.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ HED Ardennes +
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post
    Well I haven't been on here in awhile but I had a pretty exciting commute yesterday morning I wanted to share with you guys!

    it's best to avoid yesterdays route for awhile! Brrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post
    I do all of the time except at work as I work for a college.
    Good on you for the avoidance, and see if you can make some sort of arrangement security wise if possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post


    a *** is always the answer!
    It certainly beats being a victim. He could have made a wrong turn and ended up cornered, what then? A parley?

  17. #42
    Senior Member Slaninar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Novi Sad
    My Bikes
    Custom assembled on Polar Forrester frame. :)
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Me too.

    But, not where the OP is. Not sure about Serbia ... but in the EU, I don't have to worry about a ***. A knife maybe, but even that's defensible.
    A knife is defensible if you can run away. Knifes are the most underestimated (still) modern weapon, I believe... not that I prefer a *** pointed at me.


    And you are right - my previous post was short sighted - judged from a forum post, from a different city, crime situation. In Novi Sad no one thinks a cyclist has money. Plus no one likes attacking a grown man (unless they believe he's got a lot of money).
    Evviva il comunismo e la libertÓ.

  18. #43
    Senior Member catonec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    burlington VT.
    Posts
    2,227
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    Also, what is up with Spokane? One of my old Stanford buddies' dad lived up there and murdered his wife.
    it probably didnt have anything to do where he lived. most likely your buddy or his wife drove him to do what he did.
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

  19. #44
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    4,989
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
    A knife is defensible if you can run away. Knifes are the most underestimated (still) modern weapon, I believe... not that I prefer a *** pointed at me.


    And you are right - my previous post was short sighted - judged from a forum post, from a different city, crime situation. In Novi Sad no one thinks a cyclist has money. Plus no one likes attacking a grown man (unless they believe he's got a lot of money).
    Yeah, I think when guns are removed from the equation ... people think twice about random violence.

    A knife isn't that hard to defend against ... but a *** ... that's a real issue as one must approach the potential shooter to defend against it.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  20. #45
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    4,989
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    It certainly beats being a victim. He could have made a wrong turn and ended up cornered, what then? A parley?
    Common sense is usually in order.

    Why ride in a "bad part of town" at night?
    Why live where you have to ride through a "bad part of town at all?"
    Why live in area that has "bad parts of towns?"
    Why live in countries that have such large wealth disparities?
    Why not live somewhere where violence is reduced because the wealth is more evenly distributed?
    If one can't move, why not change one's lifestyle such that one could move?

    IMHO, carrying a weapon isn't the answer unless you're asking the wrong, usually short-term, short-sighted questions.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Common sense is usually in order.

    Why ride in a "bad part of town" at night?
    Why live where you have to ride through a "bad part of town at all?"
    Why live in area that has "bad parts of towns?"
    Why live in countries that have such large wealth disparities?
    Why not live somewhere where violence is reduced because the wealth is more evenly distributed?
    If one can't move, why not change one's lifestyle such that one could move?

    IMHO, carrying a weapon isn't the answer unless you're asking the wrong, usually short-term, short-sighted questions.
    I agree with all of these points, however I also realize not everyone can easily make these lifestyle changes. Believe it or not there are much worse places to live.

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Common sense is usually in order.

    Why ride in a "bad part of town" at night?
    Why live where you have to ride through a "bad part of town at all?"
    Why live in area that has "bad parts of towns?"
    Why live in countries that have such large wealth disparities?
    Why not live somewhere where violence is reduced because the wealth is more evenly distributed?
    If one can't move, why not change one's lifestyle such that one could move?

    IMHO, carrying a weapon isn't the answer unless you're asking the wrong, usually short-term, short-sighted questions.
    Best post in the entire thread

  23. #48
    Speed is Life... UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NYC, duh Bronx.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ HED Ardennes +
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Common sense is usually in order.

    Why ride in a "bad part of town" at night?
    Why live where you have to ride through a "bad part of town at all?"
    Why live in area that has "bad parts of towns?"
    Why live in countries that have such large wealth disparities?
    Why not live somewhere where violence is reduced because the wealth is more evenly distributed?
    If one can't move, why not change one's lifestyle such that one could move?

    IMHO, carrying a weapon isn't the answer unless you're asking the wrong, usually short-term, short-sighted questions.
    Carrying a weapon is nothing more than insurance if you find yourself outside the bounds of the common sense Utopia you proffer as so exceedingly attainable. You're ironically waxing poetic over what ain't reality.

  24. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been followed on foot before and I think after the second turn I would have been straight on the phone to the police. People often back off pretty quick if you have a phone up to your ear, especially if you say the word police nice and loudly.

  25. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl View Post
    I've been followed on foot before and I think after the second turn I would have been straight on the phone to the police. People often back off pretty quick if you have a phone up to your ear, especially if you say the word police nice and loudly.
    Given the temperature I imagine it takes a bit of effort to make a call. Sure maybe 10 seconds tops, a lot can happen in that amount of time though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •