Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-14, 03:25 AM   #101
smallpox champ
Senior Member
 
smallpox champ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes: '84 specialized expedition, '87 specialized sirrus, '84 specialized stumpjumper sport
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The solution to a problem should be preventative, not punitive. Avoidance is not a solution, the problem still exists. Unfortunately not much can be done by one person.

OP, that sucks, I would have done the same thing too.
smallpox champ is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 07:36 AM   #102
UnfilteredDregs
Senior Member
 
UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, duh Bronx.
Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
That's only logical as my horizons change. When one is exposed to new things, one needs to adjust the goalposts. 200mph trains are the norm for me now and I'm quite disappointed by the English train system!

Note: I am making fun of where I live now. I don't have to throw the US under the bus in every post.
This post isn't about your horizons therefore your observations regarding them aren't valid and fall outside the reasonable context of the scenario.

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 02-07-14 at 08:18 AM.
UnfilteredDregs is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 08:05 AM   #103
sirtirithon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sirtirithon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spokane
Bikes:
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well this is certainly not what I expected when I shared my experience on here! Anyways, it has been entertaining to read and I see I have sparked a lively discussion.

Unfortunately, where my job is located there is no way around riding through a portion of town known for drug deals and such. I myself do not live in a bad part of town, I am just forced to travel to that part of town to support my family. And I enjoy my job, make good money, and have excellent benefits so I have no intentions of leaving.

I have taken a different route the last couple of mornings and I have not seen the vehicle again. I have not heard anything from the police either. Essentially what I had hoped to accomplish by sharing my experience is to remind everyone to keep alert and be aware of your surroundings! If something doesn't seem right act on that feeling. Who is to say if I just ignored the feeling that the Explorer was up to no good and let them pull alongside me or crash into me I might not be writing this and my wife wouldn't have a husband and my kids wouldn't have a dad.
sirtirithon is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 08:13 AM   #104
sirtirithon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sirtirithon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spokane
Bikes:
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMAMRA View Post
Is pepper spray legal in your area?
Yes. I carried it over the summer but I am apprehensive about how it would function in below freezing temps.
sirtirithon is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 09:45 AM   #105
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
This post isn't about your horizons therefore your observations regarding them aren't valid and fall outside the reasonable context of the scenario.
Your thinking is too limited. I don't think we'd get on so well at the pub.
acidfast7 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 09:47 AM   #106
UnfilteredDregs
Senior Member
 
UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, duh Bronx.
Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Your thinking is too limited. I don't think we'd get on so well at the pub.
How ironic. lmao
UnfilteredDregs is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 09:51 AM   #107
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
How ironic. lmao
Bellend confirmed!
acidfast7 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 09:53 AM   #108
UnfilteredDregs
Senior Member
 
UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, duh Bronx.
Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post

Unfortunately, where my job is located there is no way around riding through a portion of town known for drug deals and such. I myself do not live in a bad part of town, I am just forced to travel to that part of town to support my family. And I enjoy my job, make good money, and have excellent benefits so I have no intentions of leaving. .
Your situation is quite common, many folks have to work in the not so savory areas. that tends to go hand in hand with area improvement. I worked in Brooklyn during the early 90s...Bed Stuy, Ft. Greene, etc.. It was akin to the third world 20+ years ago....now it's some of the most desired real estate in the NYC area....


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post

Essentially what I had hoped to accomplish by sharing my experience is to remind everyone to keep alert and be aware of your surroundings! If something doesn't seem right act on that feeling. Who is to say if I just ignored the feeling that the Explorer was up to no good and let them pull alongside me or crash into me I might not be writing this and my wife wouldn't have a husband and my kids wouldn't have a dad.
Situational awareness, along with reasonable precautions, is king. Best of luck and be careful.
UnfilteredDregs is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 09:53 AM   #109
UnfilteredDregs
Senior Member
 
UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, duh Bronx.
Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Bellend confirmed!
I always get the end, usually the dart alley is behind me, but the wall is at my back!

Bell-end...Oh jeeze.... enough already. lmao

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 02-07-14 at 09:57 AM.
UnfilteredDregs is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 09:55 AM   #110
scroca
commuter and barbarian
 
scroca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Potomac, MT, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP, from your description is seems pretty obvious that they were up to no good. I think you did the right thing and I applaud that you were able to keep out of harm's way long enough to get to the safety of witnesses. In my opinion, the actions of those in the vehicle speak for themselves.

Have you considered getting a helmet cam? I wonder what reaction the police would have had they seen for themselves what happened.

Also, I'd keep my cell phone handy if I were you.

This may have been an isolated incident. I hope so.

And good for you to keep riding. Good luck.
scroca is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 10:06 AM   #111
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
I always get the end, usually the dart alley is behind me, but the wall is at my back!

Bell-end...Oh jeeze.... enough already. lmao
Working on my English slang.

U WOT M8?

Maybe I would by you a pint!
acidfast7 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 10:10 AM   #112
UnfilteredDregs
Senior Member
 
UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, duh Bronx.
Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Working on my English slang.

U WOT M8?

Maybe I would by you a pint!
I had a manc (Manchester...) that work for me some time ago...

I couldn't understand a lick of what he was saying. When he spoke it was as if his mouth was a gravel compactor.

When I finally got the rhythm of it I realized his grammar was flawless.
UnfilteredDregs is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 10:25 AM   #113
KonaRider125
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Coast, California
Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I've got a pouch on my handle bars I carry two cans of police grade pepper spray, for just that kind of situation.

I figure if some nut gets out and confronts me, I'll give him a blast in the face and I'll be gone before he can see/breath again.
KonaRider125 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 11:01 AM   #114
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaRider125 View Post
I've got a pouch on my handle bars I carry two cans of police grade pepper spray, for just that kind of situation.

I figure if some nut gets out and confronts me, I'll give him a blast in the face and I'll be gone before he can see/breath again.
I've heard bear-strength pepper spray allows you to repel from a distance.http://counterassault.com/
alan s is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 11:28 AM   #115
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Star City, NE
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaRider125 View Post
I've got a pouch on my handle bars I carry two cans of police grade pepper spray, for just that kind of situation.

I figure if some nut gets out and confronts me, I'll give him a blast in the face and I'll be gone before he can see/breath again.
You gotta be careful with blowback with that stuff. It's a good idea to have actual practice deploying the chemical in a safe location where animals or humans won't get hurt because, unless you've done so you will have no idea how it will respond once it leaves the container. And by "safe location" please realize that the chemical will linger on any surfaces it lands on and can still cause harm even after you're gone.

And don't forget about wind direction.
J.C. Koto is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 01:06 PM   #116
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Frankfurt-Bonn/Köln quite often (1-2 times/week) which is 300km/h (only 186mph). Other times, usually only the 250km/h rail (a few times/week). I had a BahnCard 100 which allowed from travel on any train in the German area (+ some Austria, etc...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BahnCard#Bahncard_100
I was on that train 2 years ago, Frankfurt to Amsterdam and return. Don't believe it ever topped 250 km/hr, and that was only for a few minutes. At least that is what the speedomter mounted in the passenger section indicated. Very nice train ride as are most long distance trains.

My preference back in the 90's and 2001-2002 though was for the locals that I used often on a Schones Wochend pass for 40DM plus 6DM for the bicycle to get to various destinations distant from my home near Heidelberg for a day's ride. 200mph was definitely not the norm on those trains, nor is it on very many others anywhere in Europe. The passenger train system is far superior in Europe to what exists today in the U.S. but there is no need to exaggerate to make your point. Nor is there a need to snipe at the U.S. or various stereotypes in order to discuss your bicycle commuting experiences.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-07-14 at 01:10 PM.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 01:34 PM   #117
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
I had a manc (Manchester...) that work for me some time ago...

I couldn't understand a lick of what he was saying. When he spoke it was as if his mouth was a gravel compactor.

When I finally got the rhythm of it I realized his grammar was flawless.
We visited Wales once. Went to the local pub for a pint and a bite to eat. When I walked up to order, they must have taken me for a local, spouted gibberish in Welsh. I said, "Sorry, I'm American..." and they repeated in something which more resembled English, but accent..., "Sorry, still didn't catch that..." When speaking slow, like I was stupid or American, I could finally put together enough mangled words for meaning and context...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 02:28 PM   #118
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
never confront a maniac

I was almost carjacked (I think). wasn't going to sit and wait and see. I took off before he showed what was in his hand. good for you for your escape. man your adrenaline must have been off the charts! you ride that route again? see them again? call the cops to see if they found them?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 03:33 PM   #119
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
200mph was definitely not the norm on those trains, nor is it on very many others anywhere in Europe.
Slow track. Fastest track in Germany is Frankfurt to Köln where it touches 300km/h. Frankfurt to Paris hits 320km/h.

I should note that's not a technical limitation ... the trains and tracks are spec'd for 350 to 380km/h ... depending on trainset ... it's just not cost-efficient. The French don't care and run the TGV at 300km/h in Germany and 320km/h in France.

I try not to exaggerate ... I'm just quite pissed off by US foreign policy at the moment and the whole "fuk the EU" comment ... typical.

info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICE_3

Last edited by acidfast7; 02-07-14 at 03:36 PM.
acidfast7 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 04:19 PM   #120
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Local News had a story about a dog after catching the car chewed up the edge of the fiberglass front quarter

around the wheel , thus answering that age old question about what a dog does

after reflexively chasing a car impinging on his territory, after he catches it..


Steel front panel , may have had a different response , depending on the dog's tastes.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 05:50 PM   #121
Catgrrl70
It's faster than the bus
 
Catgrrl70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vashon Island
Bikes: Specialized Tri-Cross, Soma Smoothie ES, Gary Fisher retro hard tail
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I have.
I was waiting at 6:30 am at a red stoplight, in the middle of the right lane (the road there is where the bike lane ends and the last 1/2 block up to the light is marked with Sharrows - I was actually positioned just near a sharrow marking). Traffic pulls up to the light in the left lane and then a car pulls up not behind me, but squeezes between me and the other car in the left lane, straddling between the lanes. The guy almost took me out and I was completely startled and yelled "HEY!" at him, while I moved right, concerned that his fender would catch my rear pannier as he took off at the green light.

Instead of just ignoring me as I moved out of his way. He got out of his car and started yelling at me that I shouldn't be in the road. The light turned green and I biked up onto the sidewalk at that point, not wanting to be on the road with him. Instead of driving off on his way, he sped up quickly, drove up ONTO to the sidewalk about 1/2 block ahead and tried to stop me, got out of his car again, and was yelling. At this point, I was in full danger mode. It was an empty block and I rode fast around him and the car, giving as wide a berth as I could (thanking the lord he wasn't IN his car) and headed for the nearest bus stop where I knew people would be.

He followed me as I cut through an empty lot and as I got to the bus stop, thankfully with people and bus pulling up, he blocked the bus, and my exit to the street, again getting out of his car yelling and approaching me. I was able to get out my phone and get a good look at him and his car (couldn't get his plate number - but someone else at the bus stop DID!) and yelled, "I am calling the police to sort this out NOW." He took off. It was very, very scary and I just operated by instinct. I knew he was bad news the second things got hinky. I totally believe the OP. I also reported the incident to the police.

* I was also chased for about two blocks near downtown Seattle as a driver didn't think I should be turning left in front of him with the left turn only signal, even though after getting through the intersection (with him honking at me from behind - I was at the light waiting for the green well before he was) I moved to the shoulder. He drove next to me for about a block, changing speeds and veering over onto the shoulder in an attempt I can only interpret as trying to run me off the road. I was able to lose him by slowing way down - there was a line of cars behind him - and then getting to the bike route. That wasn't as harrowing as my other incident but it does happen. And both times, I was doing absolutely nothing wrong. In fact, I was following the rules of the road to a "t." Which also teaches me sometimes it may be good not to.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Just curious?

How many people here have been chased by a motor vehicle?

There seems to be a lot of arm chair quarterback type of responses here.

In my experience, there isn't enough time to have a rational debate about what the best course of action is in this type of situation. This is classic flight or fight response, and even if you are armed, that won't stop a 2 ton vehicle dead in its tracks, it more than likely will only escalate the situation, making it more dangerous for everyone involved....
Catgrrl70 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 05:56 PM   #122
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgrrl70 View Post
Yes, I have.
I was waiting at 6:30 am at a red stoplight, in the middle of the right lane (the road there is where the bike lane ends and the last 1/2 block up to the light is marked with Sharrows - I was actually positioned just near a sharrow marking). Traffic pulls up to the light in the left lane and then a car pulls up not behind me, but squeezes between me and the other car in the left lane, straddling between the lanes. The guy almost took me out and I was completely startled and yelled "HEY!" at him, while I moved right, concerned that his fender would catch my rear pannier as he took off at the green light.

Instead of just ignoring me as I moved out of his way. He got out of his car and started yelling at me that I shouldn't be in the road. The light turned green and I biked up onto the sidewalk at that point, not wanting to be on the road with him. Instead of driving off on his way, he sped up quickly, drove up ONTO to the sidewalk about 1/2 block ahead and tried to stop me, got out of his car again, and was yelling. At this point, I was in full danger mode. It was an empty block and I rode fast around him and the car, giving as wide a berth as I could (thanking the lord he wasn't IN his car) and headed for the nearest bus stop where I knew people would be.

He followed me as I cut through an empty lot and as I got to the bus stop, thankfully with people and bus pulling up, he blocked the bus, and my exit to the street, again getting out of his car yelling and approaching me. I was able to get out my phone and get a good look at him and his car (couldn't get his plate number - but someone else at the bus stop DID!) and yelled, "I am calling the police to sort this out NOW." He took off. It was very, very scary and I just operated by instinct. I knew he was bad news the second things got hinky. I totally believe the OP. I also reported the incident to the police.

* I was also chased for about two blocks near downtown Seattle as a driver didn't think I should be turning left in front of him with the left turn only signal, even though after getting through the intersection (with him honking at me from behind - I was at the light waiting for the green well before he was) I moved to the shoulder. He drove next to me for about a block, changing speeds and veering over onto the shoulder in an attempt I can only interpret as trying to run me off the road. I was able to lose him by slowing way down - there was a line of cars behind him - and then getting to the bike route. That wasn't as harrowing as my other incident but it does happen. And both times, I was doing absolutely nothing wrong. In fact, I was following the rules of the road to a "t." Which also teaches me sometimes it may be good not to.
It's a sad state of affairs over there ... makes me weep
acidfast7 is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 08:28 PM   #123
SHBR
Senior Member
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Bikes:
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
It's a sad state of affairs over there ... makes me weep
Does it occur to you that this could happen anywhere?

Road rage is on the increase worldwide.

Problem.
Create a lifestyle that is based around the motor vehicle, but don't offer any real safety systems that protect us against road rage, distracted driving etc.

Reaction.
The public starts to get angry over all of the death and destruction caused by motor vehicles.

Solution.
Make personal motorized transportation only accessible to the privileged few. (remember driving is a privilege, not a right.) Discourage people from living outside of major urban centers, by making most employment available in the city. (remember there was a time when farming was a huge source of labor and employment) Build public transportation services that are in-efficient, costly and unreliable. Continue to sell cars, but increase the price of everything related to them. (insurance, maintenance, fuel etc.) Build a few token MUP systems that go nowhere to show us that we are making progress, and that city life is going to be better for everyone.

SHBR is offline  
Old 02-07-14, 08:34 PM   #124
catonec 
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: burlington VT.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtirithon View Post
Yes. I carried it over the summer but I am apprehensive about how it would function in below freezing temps.
these are supposed to address that issue. the kimber pepper blaster give you 2 shots from a "bullet" that doesnt freeze or loose its charge ever. its actually an explosive shell that fires liquid instead of lead.



No I do not carry anything when I ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqJ,!iIE8JuD-2gpBPVRBeMNtQ~~60_12.JPG (56.1 KB, 1 views)
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac
catonec is offline  
Old 02-08-14, 05:16 AM   #125
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Does it occur to you that this could happen anywhere?

Road rage is on the increase worldwide.

Problem.
Create a lifestyle that is based around the motor vehicle, but don't offer any real safety systems that protect us against road rage, distracted driving etc.

Reaction.
The public starts to get angry over all of the death and destruction caused by motor vehicles.

Solution.
Make personal motorized transportation only accessible to the privileged few. (remember driving is a privilege, not a right.) Discourage people from living outside of major urban centers, by making most employment available in the city. (remember there was a time when farming was a huge source of labor and employment) Build public transportation services that are in-efficient, costly and unreliable. Continue to sell cars, but increase the price of everything related to them. (insurance, maintenance, fuel etc.) Build a few token MUP systems that go nowhere to show us that we are making progress, and that city life is going to be better for everyone.

It's very unlikely to happen in Germany. Getting a liscence is a several month and several thousand Euro affair. Cutting across the double lines to bust a u-turn as described by the OP would be a 6 or 12 point fine, which would be an instant year loss of liscence.

I think the issue is that the entry in the driving pool in the US is too low and there's no enforcement.

So, no I don't think rode rage will be prominent in Europe.

Interestingly, fines for speeding and quite low in Germany compared to the US.
acidfast7 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.