Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    south Georgia
    My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have a lot of ninja riders here, but they are usually out selling dope and are trying to be invisible to the police, they will paint their bikes flat black, and wear dark clothes, then weave in and out of traffic on the wrong side of the roads. quick getaway if they see a cop, they ride off, ditch the bike and vanish in the woods, cops dont even bother to look for them

  2. #27
    Senior Member nkfrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. There are a lot of people who are more hung up on their appearance than safety.
    If somebody handed me a reflective vest before I was 21 it would go straight into the nearest trash can. I was way too worried about what my friends would think and that they might laugh at me. Most of that silliness went away when I turned 50.

    There are still plenty of folks who simply don't realize how hard they are to see on a bike. I rode 50 feet behind a friend wearing black tights and a dark gray jersey on an slightly-foggy overcast day. She blended right into the pavement and the only reason I saw her was because I knew to look for her. A car traveling at the speed limit on that road would not be able to slow in time to avoid rear-ending her. Happily she went shopping and has a few hot pink jerseys that she wears often; and she is upgrading her lights.

    Some other friends who are very experienced cyclists don't believe it when I tell them how hard they are to see when they wear their dark non-reflective gear/clothes at night and have a cheap blinkie with a next-to-dead battery. At least I tried.

  3. #28
    imi
    imi is offline
    aka Timi imi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
    Posts
    2,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm going to give a reflective vest...

    The new girlfriend is going to start riding her
    12 mile r/t commute this spring. She is not an experienced city rider as she grew up in the country.

    Her bike needed fixing up.
    I offered to do so IF she promised to wear a reflective vest.

    She gave me a nasty look, but agreed...

    Oh, yes! Chalk one up for me! ... It'll probably be all downhill from here :/

  4. #29
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imi View Post
    Oh, yes! Chalk one up for me! ... It'll probably be all downhill from here :/
    Better your ex-girlfriend than the one you visit yearly in the cemetery. (You can tell her that comment was made - that ought to help the nasty look...)
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  5. #30
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,782
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It continually amazes me, that people don't walk away from their bike in the dark, from the front, and the rear, to see how visible the bike is after dark. Any changes I make, I always check from all directions. I walk to where a car might be and sometimes crouch a little to where a drivers point of view could be. I'll bring a light to test new reflective things. I also walk to the rear right and left sides of the bike, to test the view from an angle.
    When I get to know new riders I often show this to them and we make changes with lights or reflective material to their bike. Just a few days ago I showed a rider who had his tail light on the seat post, and totally blocked by his rear rack, what it looked like from the rear. This guy lives in a city and finishes almost all his rides by going home in the dark. I moved his tail light. I also explained why we took his rear facing white reflector off and changed it to red.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #31
    Casually Deliberate
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A desirable midtown neighhborhood in Vancouver, WA
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 820
    Posts
    2,240
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imi View Post
    The new girlfriend is going to start riding her
    12 mile r/t commute this spring. She is not an experienced city rider as she grew up in the country.

    Her bike needed fixing up.
    I offered to do so IF she promised to wear a reflective vest.

    She gave me a nasty look, but agreed...

    Oh, yes! Chalk one up for me! ... It'll probably be all downhill from here :/
    This site has beautiful and versatile reflective vests. (I'd love the Pocket Tails in Cotton Candy but can't afford one now.) In fact, everything here is reflective. I'm sure you two could find something more fashionable than the safety orange vests like the crossing guards wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
    Earmuffs!!! This is a family forum, miss!

  7. #32
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,823
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona_W View Post
    This site has beautiful and versatile reflective vests. (I'd love the Pocket Tails in Cotton Candy but can't afford one now.) In fact, everything here is reflective. I'm sure you two could find something more fashionable than the safety orange vests like the crossing guards wear.
    Wow. Very clever. I hope they do well.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  8. #33
    imi
    imi is offline
    aka Timi imi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
    Posts
    2,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm going to give a reflective vest...

    oh me gawd! Reflective vest fashion! Love it!
    Wish I'd known about this in time for Valentine's Day...
    Sorry, got to go to take the trash out, guys :/

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    south Georgia
    My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remember a neon vest offers almost no protection at night, has to be reflective at night, is it three M that has those super bright tapes? The only reason I have seen some riders at night, are the pedal reflectors, i'm surprised at how many serious riders dont have them, they are one of the easiest things to spot, as they appear to move up and down,if I ever get back on the road, I'm going to put an LED strobe right above my ankle on the back of each leg

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    antipodes
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
    There are a lot of people who are more hung up on their appearance than safety.
    If somebody handed me a reflective vest before I was 21 it would go straight into the nearest trash can. I was way too worried about what my friends would think and that they might laugh at me.
    I use a Monkeysee reflective harness:
    http://www.monkeysee.net.au/shopping...eysee-harness/

    They are not as cheap as they could be given how little material they use, but they are great because it doesn't cover up your normal clothes, doesn't make you hot in warm weather and you can take it off and put it in your pocket when you get off the bike. Its seriously tiny.

  11. #36
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugyug View Post
    I use a Monkeysee reflective harness:
    http://www.monkeysee.net.au/shopping...eysee-harness/

    They are not as cheap as they could be given how little material they use, but they are great because it doesn't cover up your normal clothes, doesn't make you hot in warm weather and you can take it off and put it in your pocket when you get off the bike. Its seriously tiny.
    That's also a brilliant suggestion for anybody who (or knows somebody who) is even slightly handy with a sewing machine.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •