Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Show me your SS commuter! (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/932963-show-me-your-ss-commuter.html)

jowilson 02-05-14 04:52 PM

Show me your SS commuter!
 
I'm building up a single speed commuter bike over the next few weeks and I'm in need of something to give me a few ideas. I'm building it from a 1989 specialized rockhopper frame and parts from my co-op. I'll post mine when it's done.

Fire away!

Josh

-=(8)=- 02-05-14 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my Schwinn. Down for a BB repair, currently.
Love this bike. How to build an absolutely bulletproof commuter for 300.00 :)

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363039

scroca 02-05-14 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=(8)=- (Post 16470962)
...Down for a BB repair, currently.
... an absolutely bulletproof commuter...)

Hmmm.

acidfast7 02-05-14 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363041

Andy_K 02-05-14 07:21 PM

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/9...154bd788_c.jpg

It's got a rack, fenders and slicks now, but I haven't taken an updated picture.

(BTW, that saddle is off of an '89 Rockhopper.)

Andy_K 02-05-14 07:25 PM

A couple I no longer own.....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3579/3...375eb878_o.jpg


http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2629/4...1a0e3c11_b.jpg

bigbenaugust 02-05-14 08:24 PM

It is absolutely filthy in the middle of its first back-eastern winter, but here you go:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J...129_081400.jpg
Motobecane USA (BikeIsland) Fantom Cross Uno all outfitted for commuting. Yes, this is not a drive side pic. :P

jowilson 02-05-14 10:20 PM

^^^^what gearing do you have set up on that?^^^^

bigbenaugust 02-06-14 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jowilson (Post 16471693)
^^^^what gearing do you have set up on that?^^^^

39x16. My chain tension is a little excessive in this picture, it has since been adjusted. I am still getting the hang of a chain tensioner.

thenomad 02-06-14 08:39 AM

On One Pompino SS - My Build

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nHzWDwdfYg...130_090718.jpg

lhbernhardt 02-06-14 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363144

My fixed gear Rodriguez that I use for absolutely everything (Paris-Brest-Paris, London-Edinburgh-London, California Triple Crown, Furnace Creek 508 plus commuting every day to work), complete with couplers for taking advantage of travel ops. I have been running a front disc brake on it this winter to save wear on the front rim (BB7 mechanical) and it's worked great, even saving the rear rim and pads since I only need to use the front as long as it's not icy. In the spring, I put the ENVE fork with Campag caliper back on. The picture was taken in December after riding to work in light snow.

Luis

DiegoFrogs 02-06-14 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my 1967 Carlton Flyer as a Fixed Gear. Rear brake is off for the moment while I try to find a longer M6 bolt for the brake mount so I can attach the fender to the exposed section with a wingnut, like I did on the front, that way I can remove it without adjusting the brakes.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363147

polishmadman 02-06-14 09:36 PM

My converted gary fisher marlin
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...5_163917-1.jpg

bigbenaugust 02-07-14 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scroca (Post 16470988)
Hmmm.

Sometimes stuff passes its lifespan. Especially stuff with bearings.

acidfast7 02-07-14 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 16475565)
Sometimes stuff passes its lifespan. Especially stuff with bearings.

Don't you have like 7000km on it?

bigbenaugust 02-07-14 09:58 AM

... wasn't my BB. That would be Mr. Funny Characters with the pink Schwinn up there.

Sixracer 02-09-14 12:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just finishing my Gary fisher Tassajara SS conversion for urban use.
was able to get a pretty good fit with a half link on the chain.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363541
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363540

hueyhoolihan 02-09-14 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixracer (Post 16481109)
Just finishing my Gary fisher Tassajara SS conversion for urban use.
was able to get a pretty good fit with a half link on the chain.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363541
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363540

have a '97 Tass setup like that. i managed to remove a little mojo from the "magic gear" with a little filing and like you a half-link. these bikes are like a Soviet T-50 tank.

sirtirithon 02-09-14 06:53 PM

2010 Specialized Rockhopper single speed conversion. This is my "snow bike".

Bottom picture is my 2012 Salsa Fargo single speed.




http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...ps8zfatsrd.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...psyf3hygxq.jpg


http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...syhjl2wwj.jpeg

Big Lebowski 02-09-14 09:00 PM

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/...psa39438c1.jpg

My Trek Soho S

Sixty Fiver 02-09-14 09:08 PM

Winter fixed gear... 41:20

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...epia%20(2).JPG

Summer fixed gear (beater), 52:18

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...8pug%20(4).JPG

I tend to use a backpack or messenger bag when I ride the one speeds...

1951 CCM, 52:20

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...13ccmpath1.JPG

Or a saddlebag... 1955 Raleigh with a 48 and a 16/18 flip.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/2012reg2.JPG

Huffandstuff 02-10-14 02:55 AM

This has been my snow bike commuter since we got our random snow.
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...122_212240.jpg

This is my normal commuter.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...016_083429.jpg

bigbenaugust 02-10-14 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt (Post 16473164)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=363144

My fixed gear Rodriguez that I use for absolutely everything (Paris-Brest-Paris, London-Edinburgh-London, California Triple Crown, Furnace Creek 508 plus commuting every day to work), complete with couplers for taking advantage of travel ops. I have been running a front disc brake on it this winter to save wear on the front rim (BB7 mechanical) and it's worked great, even saving the rear rim and pads since I only need to use the front as long as it's not icy. In the spring, I put the ENVE fork with Campag caliper back on. The picture was taken in December after riding to work in light snow.

Luis

I would like to know more about riding the PBP and Furnace Creek 508 on a fixie. Also, we're going to need a better pic. ;)

CoachManny 02-10-14 08:35 AM

Is SS mainly for riding around for fun and short distance? Can it be pretty challenging on long rides?

Manny

jowilson 02-10-14 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachManny (Post 16482966)
Is SS mainly for riding around for fun and short distance? Can it be pretty challenging on long rides?

Manny

IMO, it's for reliability and ease of use. There's no shifting to fine tune every few months, longer chain life (no wear from side to side movement), and less of a chance that something goes wrong.

Josh


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.